Firefox opens new window instead of tab from ext. link (Mac)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Tuser

Firefox opens new window instead of tab from ext. link (Mac)

Post by Tuser »

When I open a new link from an external source (Thunderbird) this is what always happens:
1. Firefox 73.0.1 (64-bit) is already running: I get a new tab in the current open window just as I have set it - great!
2. Firefox is not already running: It launches and I get a first window with the home page and a SECOND window with the link - HATE!

I want example 2 to behave like example 1.

I have the correct tab settings in preferences I have played with the settings in about:config (browser.link.open_newwindow, etc, etc) and I cannot change this behavior.

I am running Mac OS Catalina version 10.15.3 (19D76) (latest).

I am thinking bug.
Last edited by DanRaisch on February 19th, 2020, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (Mac) added to Subject line.
DanRaisch

Re: Firefox opens new window instead of tab from external li

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Support as no specific bug has been identified here.
RobertJ

Re: Firefox opens new window instead of tab from ext. link (

Post by RobertJ »

Tuser wrote:When I open a new link from an external source (Thunderbird) this is what always happens:
1. Firefox 73.0.1 (64-bit) is already running: I get a new tab in the current open window just as I have set it - great!
2. Firefox is not already running: It launches and I get a first window with the home page and a SECOND window with the link - HATE!
I am running Mac OS Catalina version 10.15.3 (19D76) (latest).

I am thinking bug.
Using Max OS 10.13.6

When I open a new link from an external source (Thunderbird) this is what happens:
1. Firefox 73.0.1 (64-bit) is already running: I get a new tab in the current open window showing the link from TB.
2. Firefox is not already running: FF launches and I get a new window showing the link from TB. No second window.

No bug; works as always.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
sebring*

Post by sebring* »

I have the same operating system as opening poster has and I have the exact same problem when using Thunderbird or Mac Mail. I am just wondering if it is a Mac problem.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If you are seeing the same issue with both Mac Mail AND Thunderbird it seems very unlikely that it could be a Thunderbird problem.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

DanRaisch wrote:If you are seeing the same issue with both Mac Mail AND Thunderbird it seems very unlikely that it could be a Thunderbird problem.
I think he/she thinks it is a FF issue. Although I do not see it on Mac (have different OS).

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Tuser

Post by Tuser »

I am saying it is a Firefox problem. It doesn’t happen when I run this version of Firefox on Mojave on the same machine.
Moreover, the new window doesn’t operate properly; the Firefox menu is not complete in the menu bar, and the right-click context menus in the webpage do not have content.

If I kill the new window, hit the external link again, then I get a new tab in the old window, and everything is fine.

It appears the newest Firefox is not ready for Catalina.
therube

Post by therube »

(And to top things off, if you happened to use multiple Profiles, external links [now, since FF67] will cause your default Profile to open - which may not be the particular instance that you may have open, currently. Now, how brilliant is that ;-).)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
sebring*

Post by sebring* »

Just an update to say mine is now opening correctly now.
therube

Post by therube »

Are you saying that since the update to FF 75 (with presumably no other "changes"), that external links are now opening [FF] as expected, i.e., with no extra window being "generated"?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

See also:
Bug 1600153 - macOS 10.15 Catalina - two firefox windows are opened when clicking on external link

Please do not comment in bug reports
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html