HOW TO ADD E MAILS

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
wwe

HOW TO ADD E MAILS

Post by wwe »

How can I add additional e mails that are in a csv file to a new address book on SeaMonkey?
TPR75

Re: HOW TO ADD E MAILS

Post by TPR75 »

wwe wrote:How can I add additional e mails that are in a csv file to a new address book on SeaMonkey?
Menu -> Window -> Address Book (Ctrl+5) -> Menu -> Tools -> Import -> select the type of material to import: Address Books -> select "Text file (LDIF, .tab, .csv, .txt)" and click "Next" -> Select Address Book File [change file type to CSV or all files and then select your CSV file] -> in "Import Address Book" window select what you want/need and press OK

Works?
--
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Press Ctrl+5 (Cmd+5) to open the Address Book window. Menu path Tools->Import->select "Address Books"->Next->select "Text file"->Next->navigate to the location of the CSV file and select that file->click on the "Open" button.

If the imported data does not properly populate the address book, you may need to format the file to be imported. Start by creating a NEW address book. Manually create one record in that new address book and then export the data from the new book. Click on the name of the new address book, then use menu path Tools->Export->Address Books->give the output a name and select "save as type" Comma Separated (CSV). Load the exported file into a spreadsheet program and do the same with the data file you asked about in your post.. If necessary, reorder the columns in the file from which you intend to import so that it matches the order of those in the export from SeaMonkey. Save the data back to CSV format and import that to SeaMonkey.

Open an contact record from the address book created by the import to confirm that the email address field and others are properly populated. If it is, you can delete the address book created for export in the first step of this procedure.
wwe

Post by wwe »

Dan

Thanks for what you just said but really I'm not sure I understand it.

But here's what I've done:

1) I have on my APPLE IMAC desktop a csv file called "export". This contains around 1200 e mails I want to import into a new address book
2) I created a new address book called NEW NAMES
3) I went up to TOOLS > IMPORT.
4) My only options are to click on: ADDRESS BOOKS; MAIL; FEED SUBSCRIPTIONS; SETTINGS; and FILTERS
5) So where should I go from here??

Thanks

Paul

Thanks
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.

You didn't need to create a new address book as SeaMonkey will create on as part of the import process.
From where you left off click on"Address Books"
Click on "Next"
Select "Text file"
Click on "Next"
Navigate to the location of the CSV file and select (click on the name of) that file
Click on the "Open" button to trigger the import process.
wwe

Post by wwe »

Dan

Oh I see what you mean. I had never tried ADDRESS BOOKS.

So I clicked on "Text file (LDIF, .tab, .csv, .txt)" and went to my desktop and tried to open the csv file but I couldn't open it as it wasn't highlighted. I then spend the file NUMBERS app on my Mac and went to EXPORT TO in NUMBERS but it only allows PDF; EXCEL; TSV or NUMBERS '09!

Any suggestions from here Dan?
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Open the file to be copied into MS Excel. Then <select all> <copy>. Then <paste> the clip board into the file where you want the addresses added. This new file can then become a part of SeaMonkey via <tools> <import>, etc.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
wwe

Post by wwe »

Unfortunately I don't have EXCEL Pete. Any other ideas?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What is the full name of the file, including extension? If it does not have an extension, rename the file to add the .CSV extension to it, so it's named Export.CSV (or export.csv, as case doesn't matter here.)
wwe

Post by wwe »

It's called export.csv. I thought since it does have the csv on it that I would have no problem clicking on it but it's not highlighted on my desktop. Very odd
wwe

Post by wwe »

I've tried everything. Even turned this into a .txt but it still can't be opened. Any other suggestions anyone?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I’ve sent a message to a moderator who runs a Mac asking that he review this thread..
wwe

Post by wwe »

Many thanks Dan for your help.
wwe

Post by wwe »

Dan

I've been working on this for the last hour and I'm close to making it work. However there's one problem.

1) When I click on NEXT to import my .csv file the reason I couldn't is because I never noticed an "OPTIONS" button lower left and when you click it it does let you go to Comma Separted.
2) So I highlighted this and then I can now see the 'csv file
3) So I clicked on it and it looks like all the emails were imported
4) However what shows is not the e mails but that SQUARE type symbol that is to the left of the person's name and that's all that is there
5) But if I click on it it does show the e mail (not the persons FIRST or LAST NAME) is there.
6) I do see I can check whatever I want I assume to he shown so I clicked FIRST, LAST, DISPLAY NAME and E MAIL
7) If I click NEXT or PREVIOUS I can see that the email is there but then when I click OK the only thing that shows up is that SQUARE TYPE SYMBOL and nothing else.
8) I know I'm close to figuring this out but I need to know how I can see everything I mentioned above

Thanks

Paul
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It will help if you can post a screen shot of what you are seeing in that address book screen:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum