The End

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
WaltS48

Re: The End

Post by WaltS48 »

Mouse4 wrote:at least Josa wont have to do the nightly threads anymore once this forum is Dead.
I subscribed to https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rss-log in my Blogs & News Feeds account in Thunderbird years ago. Josa has a cleaner version with just the bug fixes.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

IanN_MZ wrote:I have run and maintained phpBB powered forums before, but what else is involved? How is the hosting / domain name paid for?
Have also run and maintained phpBB powered forums. Would also like to know how the hosting and domain name is paid for.
kerz wrote:...I can not however transfer the current data to a new owner, because of the complexities of that (user data sharing, etc).
That shouldn't be an issue if one of the long time moderators here took over ownership since they also help out if a member can't get access to the site and already have access to membership data like our email address, etc.
I got my user name changed without any issue as an example.
And I for one am not worried about my privacy here i.e. my user data at the forums.
And wasn't ownership already transferred to kerz a while back from another admin?
I don't see any logical reason why the forums can't continue on and they should continue on.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Oh, no!! Just found this. How will I function? Official Mozilla help site is awful. Reddit is so hard to navigate, too much social media stuff and bad layout.

I can't run forums but I'm willing to send some money.

luvKomputrs--I agree about privacy. I have that security on only one other site, which is owned and will always be owned by a programmer and his wife, despite a membership of 8.5 million.

Kerz-- We need to know WHEN. And many thanks for all these years!
Last edited by lovemyfoxy on September 27th, 2019, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

WaltS48 wrote:
Mouse4 wrote:at least Josa wont have to do the nightly threads anymore once this forum is Dead.
I subscribed to https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rss-log in my Blogs & News Feeds account in Thunderbird years ago. Josa has a cleaner version with just the bug fixes.
something i dont really care for TBH is reading logs
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Just spotted this - very disheartening. I haven't been active on the forum in a while, but it's a valued resource, and a place with a lot of old friends.

Anyway, thanks, Jason, for keeping this forum going for as long as you have.
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 124.0.1, Developer Edition 125.0b5, Nightly 126.0a1.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

It's been a long run, wish it weren't so.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
DoYouWantKarate

Post by DoYouWantKarate »

This is unfortunate. If some kind of 11th hour ownership transfer can't be arranged, hopefully a database dump can be handed over to archive.org for when the read-only site also inevitably dies.

Forums like this contain a lot of data that isn't available anywhere else, but they are notoriously hard to archive through scraping.
max2

Post by max2 »

DoYouWantKarate wrote:This is unfortunate. If some kind of 11th hour ownership transfer can't be arranged, hopefully a database dump can be handed over to archive.org for when the read-only site also inevitably dies.

Forums like this contain a lot of data that isn't available anywhere else, but they are notoriously hard to archive through scraping.
True.

I disagree with the second part though.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Much of the stuff is outdated, although the current data is priceless.

I've put an announcement in virtualdr.com and sevenforums.com for anyone who might help save the site or start a new one.
Last edited by lovemyfoxy on September 28th, 2019, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

probably better off to start Fresh IMO as some of the stuff is Outdated but i kinda wouldnt be surprised to see Neowin forums get more action with Firefox related stuff, there's already a ( Firefox.Next ) Thread there
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Just looked at Neowin, and they have only one forum for all of Windows, presumably XP-->10. There are also forums for cars, sports and gaming. I don't think they'll set up separate forums for FF, TB, SM, 3rd Party Builds, Extensions, etc. like we have here. I'm not likely to contract someone who can help me tweak my css to customize my Firefox.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Kerz,

I've been around as a member since 2002 and a lurker for many years prior.... you are not the first administrator of MozillaZine. Is it not possible for you to transition this forum to new management instead?
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
kalliopi_

Post by kalliopi_ »

Hello. I made an account here today to say thank you for this project and express sadness that it will end.

I've used the knowledge base heavily and it has been helpful beyond measure. Hopefully it will prove possible to act on Frank Lion's suggestion and shift to OSU Open Source Lab's managed hosting rather than shut everything down.

Best wishes - and again, thank you for the many years of Mozillazine.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

kalliopi--
OSU is not part of my meager technical knowledge. Does that include a forum?
James

Post by James »

OSU is short for Oregon State University.

http://www.mozillazine.org/about/
MozillaZine is hosted at the Open Source Lab at Oregon State University.
http://osuosl.org/
http://oregonstate.edu/

http://osuosl.org/communities/
http://osuosl.org/services/hosting/policy/