The End

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
lovemyfoxy

Re: The End

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Yes.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The knowledge base looks like its in read-only mode (no edit links for each section and no sidebar with history, talk etc. on the right). i.e. it looks like Kerz is starting to shut things down.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

tanstaafl wrote:The knowledge base looks like its in read-only mode...
Yep, it's been like that for well over a week now.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

tanstaafl wrote:The knowledge base looks like its in read-only mode (no edit links for each section and no sidebar with history, talk etc. on the right). i.e. it looks like Kerz is starting to shut things down.
eventually the forum will become read-only mode also, im convinced the forum is on Life support atm an will dissapear at no notice
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Is anyone actually doing anything to try and keep the forums open? Is there any discussion going on in the background to try to achieve this?

Like LoveMyFoxy I would donate to keep the forums open.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

maybe behind the scene, but not public i think for the moment.
costark

Post by costark »

http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewforum.php?f=32

Would you Significant "expert" Contributors PLEASE take a look at Eileen's Lounge above that I have visited mostly for Win 10 (Clk Portal/ Board Index for Forums list).

Same Layout / Posting Format as here, it appears -- and Hans V in the Netherlands is the main Solution provider of what is a fairly limited But competent number of visitors in All of the Forums.

Contacted him and he would welcome more traffic BUT Only if our regular Contributors follow the rest of us - He provides amazingly fast Responses and HOW he manages All Forums is a wonder, BUT he could Not absorb us all by Himself. The Mozilla Firefox Forum seems rarely used & a perfect place to continue this Forum.

FYI .............
Last edited by costark on October 5th, 2019, 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

If money to keep this site going is among the top priorities I am willing to contribute on a regular basis to keep it going. I would urge the user base that gets value out of this Forum to do the same. There is also the possibility of getting a sponsor for the site that would keep it going. Why couldn't Mozilla be that sponsor? Surely we contribute significantly to the development of their products via bug reports, suggestions, comments, etc.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Mozilla already runs a sad help site at mozilla.org. Take a peep. enough said

I've posted the problem at virtualdr.com and sevenforums.com, and there's someone at sevenforums who might be interested. He already runs an advanced computer help site.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
earther

Post by earther »

I searched for linux on http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewforum.php?f=32 and got 5 hits. Seems very windozy there . . .
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

costark wrote:http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewforum.php?f=32

Would you Significant "expert" Contributors PLEASE take a look at Eileen's Lounge above that I have visited mostly for Win 10 (Clk Portal/ Board Index for Forums list).

Same Layout / Posting Format as here, it appears -- and Hans V in the Netherlands is the main Solution provider of what is a fairly limited But competent number of visitors in All of the Forums.

Contacted him and he would welcome more traffic BUT Only if our regular Contributors follow the rest of us - He provides amazingly fast Responses and HOW he manages All Forums is a wonder, BUT he could Not absorb us all by Himself. The Mozilla Firefox Forum seems rarely used & a perfect place to continue this Forum.

FYI .............
i had a look at the forum, its crapola , not setup right
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

i had a look at the forum, its crapola, not setup right

You mean the Firefox threads should be all together in a subforum.

How about subforums of "Internet and Mail" at virtualdr.com? or separate forums? That site has been solid as a rock since the beginning of time, and I've been there 20 years.
http://discussions.virtualdr.com/
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"He's dead, Jim."

IMHO if Kerz was interested in somebody replacing him he would have provided more lead time, and provided more information up front.
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:i had a look at the forum, its crapola, not setup right

You mean the Firefox threads should be all together in a subforum.

How about subforums of "Internet and Mail" at virtualdr.com? or separate forums? That site has been solid as a rock since the beginning of time, and I've been there 20 years.
http://discussions.virtualdr.com/
what i mean, the forum should be laid out the same as this one is
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
winapp2

Post by winapp2 »

I'll volunteer my effort as public information

I wrote to the OSL to call their attention to Frank Lion's questions posed to Jason, this is the response I received
Thanks for reaching out. We try not to get involved with communities directly in matters like this and try to stay as neutral as possible. However, I will say that we're willing to continue hosting it if:

1. Someone in the community (who Jason approves) is willing to maintain the website and it's components in the long term
2. They are responsive to requests from community members and any requests we have regarding their hosting
3. Works to get the site upgraded to the latest software so that it's not vulnerable to security issues and maintain it long term
4. Continued hosting doesn't increase our workload in the long term

But this is really up to Jason who has run the site all of these years and is willing to hand this over to someone in the community. The reality is, the current hardware is ancient and split between two iterations of a migration and isn't really being maintained by us anymore due to that. We were working on migrating the sites to a centrally OSL managed virtual machine, however Jason hasn't had much time to put in getting that going (which I can totally relate to).

Anyways, that's my $0.02.

--
Lance Albertson
Director
Oregon State University | Open Source Lab
Clearly the onus is upon Jason to facilitate these changes, which brings us back to Frank's second question. He was CC'd by Lance in the reply, so he's definitely aware of this route as an option.