The End

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
Peter Creasey

Re: The End

Post by Peter Creasey »

There might be a difference of opinion as to whether a friendly voice mail to Jason is an "invasion of privacy".

We all appreciate greatly what all Jason has done here, but it is also quite important what happens henceforth with this forum.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

malliz wrote:Invation of privacy ever cross your mind?
Yes. However, the number is his business number and it is not his private home number.
His company information also has a link to mozillaZine as well.
*Most popular domain of this owner: mozillazine.org - mozillaZine *
IMHO that would not be considered an "invasion of privacy".
Last edited by LuvKomputrs on December 27th, 2019, 2:47 pm, edited 7 times in total.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Peter Creasey wrote:There might be a difference of opinion as to whether a friendly voice mail to Jason is an "invasion of privacy".

We all appreciate greatly what all Jason has done here, but it is also quite important what happens henceforth with this forum.
There is also information about mozillaZine as well as his company name, business address and business/fax number.
* Most popular domain of this owner: mozillazine.org - mozillaZine*
IMHO that would not be considered an "invasion of privacy".
And the voicemail I left him was specifically in relation to the mozillaZine forums future and the importance thereof.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

To all concerned & just IMHO...

Please...DO NOT add to Jason's "work load" at this time.

Just leave well enough alone.

We cannot do anything but wait & hope for the best for the forum & all the loyal members.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
leishirsute

Post by leishirsute »

Do donations to Seamonkey project help fund this forum?
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

LuvKomputrs wrote:Did some research online and actually got Jason's aka kerz phone number! :)
It's for his company information and I called him and left him a message. ...
Intrusive and rude, not to mentioned an invasion of privacy.

"We" are all lucky that MozillaZine has existed for so long. I expected Jason to shut it down 10 years ago, a couple of years after Mozilla opened SUMO, the official Firefox support forum and KnowledgeBase. Without the Help Menu item in Firefox for Firefox Help directing users to SUMO the traffic dropped off rapidly in 2007-2008 here. Only long time users of this fora and those who did a search for "Firefox support" ended up here, or used both for support.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

LIMPET235 wrote:To all concerned & just IMHO...

Please...DO NOT add to Jason's "work load" at this time.

Just leave well enough alone.

We cannot do anything but wait & hope for the best for the forum & all the loyal members.
Good points.
I do fully realize how very, very busy Jason is.
Last edited by LuvKomputrs on December 28th, 2019, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

the-edmeister wrote:
LuvKomputrs wrote:Did some research online and actually got Jason's aka kerz phone number! :)
It's for his company information and I called him and left him a message. ...
Intrusive and rude, not to mentioned an invasion of privacy.

"We" are all lucky that MozillaZine has existed for so long. I expected Jason to shut it down 10 years ago, a couple of years after Mozilla opened SUMO, the official Firefox support forum and KnowledgeBase. Without the Help Menu item in Firefox for Firefox Help directing users to SUMO the traffic dropped off rapidly in 2007-2008 here. Only long time users of this fora and those who did a search for "Firefox support" ended up here, or used both for support.
Didn't mean to be intrusive nor rude. Not my intention at all. Respectfully disagree with you that it was an invasion of privacy.
And FYI the information for Jason's company is made publicly available online and with his business/company name information it has a direct link to the mozilaZine forums on that particular web page.
In addition I am very aware of how very, very busy Jason is and in my voicemail to him I was respectful of that and told him that and was very polite.
Also, I wished him all the best in the New Year and that he did a wonderful job at the mozillaZine forums for his many years as administrator here and was very, very grateful for that.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Whether or not what's been done is ill-advised is apparently subject to differing opinions; however, surely we can all agree that nothing further should be done that might in any way be intrusive to Jason's domain.

Assuming, of course, that Jason is well aware of everyone's concern about the ongoing viability of the SeaMonkey boards.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

No one has mentioned what the problem is. Is it money to keep it hosted, or IT time to keep it maintained or does Mozilla want it stopped.

He has been absolutely very gracious the last umpteen years to keep it afloat and if has a wife like a few guys I know, it's a wonder he was able to do it :-)

It is such a well used site and very much needed, surely there is something someone can do to keep it up.

If it's money maybe a 'Fund Me' project.

Anyway I'm just a casual user every now and then but the last few days have been worried as I was not able to get any response from the URL.

Now it's back so very glad. My problem solved in minutes as usual.

Thank you and let's hope 2020 sees it stay up and keep on serving the grateful public.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Read the first post.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:Read the first post.
Jeeze, it's coming to something when the most sensible post on a page (i.e. this one, for example) is one by LoveMyFoxy!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

why do Waterfox or Palemoon posters care? as they got there own forums to post in.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Of course I read the first post and one can understand after so long why he'd want to, or have to, give it up.
Well, the time has come unfortunately. I unfortunately no longer have time to keep the site running (as you may have noticed). I'll be moving the site into readonly mode, to prepare to archive it in the next little while, starting with the KB, then the Forums. It's been a pleasure serving you for the last 21 years, but all good things must come to an end. Special thanks to the moderators who have hung on for so long, and everyone else who continues to post and chat.
My question is how can it keep going without him if it had to be. It is too good a resource to just 'disappear.'

Pale Moon is used for certain Addons that FF dropped, Other than that FF is used.

Have a nice day.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Starlite wrote:My question is how can it keep going without him if it had to be.
Read the tenth post.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)