Backup

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
PennsyNut

Backup

Post by PennsyNut »

Hi! I need to backup Firefox. I had used Mozbackup in the past, but it shows only "profile" now. I searched the whole support file and find nothing of any use. Mozbackup is mentioned and it's web site does state it's not maintained anymore and to use with caution. Also I see many referring to backup of bookmarks. That is strange to me. I simply use more than one browser and export/import when I need to. But I do need to backup my Firefox and had liked Mozbackup. So what do we do now?
Morgan,a PC novice.With Windows 11 64 bit, ESET, Fx & Tb always updated.
the-edmeister

Re: Backup

Post by the-edmeister »

Overall, MozBackup hasn't been supported by its original author since 2012, and the last version was a Beta build not a release version. It still works, per some users, but it misses some key files in the Profile folder.

Backup your entire Profile manually. Keep in mind that you may have more than one Profile, so you need to backup the correct Profile.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ba ... x-profiles.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... -user-data

As far as bookmark backups, Firefox does those automatically and saves multiple backup files. Firefox has done that since Firefox 3.0 back in 2008.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
costark

Post by costark »

https://www.hekasoft.com/hekasoft-backup-restore/
I Copy my Profile to Ext Drives as the-edmeister suggests but -- Hekasoft Backup & Restore -- is a pretty robust App & the latest Moz/Febe.
It quickly saves All Profiles and you just setup your Save To Location B4 1st run. Activate the Log option (Options/Settings/General Tab) to see the Profiles' line-item list it Saves.
Take a look if an App suits you better. Author Claudi Masci was so responsive to How Does it Work emails way back in it's infancy that I've always
listed his site when relevant.
Edit: Experimenting with the Optimize function (deletes cache, mini-dumps, old Crash Reports, etc ) I accidentally erased Bookmark Backups from the Profile and did my first Restore without a hitch - Bkmark Bkups returned and FF setup same as prior - AND the -- Profile Names Remain the Same. (So, be careful with Optimize chk marks as it will Re-set to - All boxes chk'd - IF an Optimize doesn't start first try (ie) FF Open at the time/Close it/ Re-Un-Chk desired omissions......
Last edited by costark on March 17th, 2020, 6:40 am, edited 6 times in total.
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

the-edmeister wrote:...As far as bookmark backups, Firefox does those automatically and saves multiple backup files. Firefox has done that since Firefox 3.0 back in 2008.
I use the last released beta version of Mozbackup (not as often as I should :-" without problems.

Where does FF place the automatic multiple bookmark backup files?
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

Thank you for posting the link to hekasoft.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi skuddle,
You asked...
"Where does FF place the automatic multiple bookmark backup files?"

They are all, along with everything else, saved in your Profile folder.
For eg; > C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ctshtvqz.Firefox_V70.0\bookmarkbackups

For future reference...
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
josegotme

Post by josegotme »

Hekasoft has recent updates. Mozbackup is fixed in time. I have had good results with Hekasoft.