Bookmark not working

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
smhardesty

Bookmark not working

Post by smhardesty »

After upgrading to Seamonkey 2.53.1 the "Bookmark This Page" from the "Bookmarks" menu is no longer working. I am still able to add a bookmark by right clicking on the page, but I'm unable to add bookmarks via the "Bookmark This Page" from the "Bookmarks" menu.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
ElTxolo

Re: Bookmark not working

Post by ElTxolo »

smhardesty wrote:After upgrading to Seamonkey 2.53.1 the "Bookmark This Page" from the "Bookmarks" menu is no longer working. I am still able to add a bookmark by right clicking on the page, but I'm unable to add bookmarks via the "Bookmark This Page" from the "Bookmarks" menu.
  • Personally, it works fine for me, without any problems (in both ways, which you have described). Image

:-k If you start SeaMonkey in Safe Mode (via Help > Restart with Add-0ns Disabled), does the same thing happen to you?

Cheers !! 8-)
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I also noticed that "Bookmark This Page" does not work. I use "File Bookmark", so that does not bother me.
hardys

Post by hardys »

When I use "Bookmark This Page" or use ctrl + D or ctrl + shift + D the site appears in the section "Recently Bookmarked" :-"
smhardesty

Post by smhardesty »

Hmmm. When I tried restarting with addons disabled, the bookmark problem was resolved. Not only that, I have never had a "File Bookmark" option. I'm going to guess at this point the culprit is the "Sea Fox" extension. I'll try disabling just that extension and running SeaMonkey. I'll let you know how that works out. I don't see a whole lot that would bother me if I removed that extension. I can't really recall why I installed it.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

smhardesty wrote:I'm going to guess at this point the culprit is the "Sea Fox" extension. I'll try disabling just that extension and running SeaMonkey
Before bad-mouthing extensions on public forums, why not try disabling them first to see if they are at fault?

Guess what? I have no bookmarking problem and I have the Sea Fox extension.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
smhardesty

Post by smhardesty »

Well, I disabled the Sea Fox extension and the Bookmark problem has disappeared. Not sure why it did it to my install, but that was the problem in my case. I wasn't bad mouthing a thing. I had so few extensions installed I knew it pretty much had to be Sea Fox. Sorry if that somehow stepped on your toes.
smhardesty

Post by smhardesty »

I just checked for a new Sea Fox extension and below is what I found. I guess I wasn't actually bad mouthing the extension at all. I just happened to be correct in assuming it was the culprit.

WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Frank Lion wrote:
smhardesty wrote:I'm going to guess at this point the culprit is the "Sea Fox" extension. I'll try disabling just that extension and running SeaMonkey
Before bad-mouthing extensions on public forums, why not try disabling them first to see if they are at fault?

Guess what? I have no bookmarking problem and I have the Sea Fox extension.
How did you get it installed and working?
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
therube

Post by therube »

I suppose, ATN, Sea Fox 0.4.6.
When I looked, download, install, done.

And when I looked, it did not affect bookmarking.

It does, seemingly by default, change (at least some) shortcut keys (can't check 2.53 defaults at the moment).

Code: Select all

- Toggle Bookmarks Sidebar: Ctrl+B
- Show Bookmarks Manager: Ctrl+Shift+B
- Bookmark This Page: Ctrl+D
- Bookmark This Group of Tabs: Ctrl+Shift+D
(And it sets some other settings on first run...
[Odd, at that, in particular that it does it outside the purview of Sea Fox itself, as in changes are not (all) reverted if you remove Sea Fox.])

Also, bookmarking itself certainly may have changed - between 2.4x & 2.5x.
Including where a bookmarked page ends up (possibly even differing depending on how you affected the bookmark action).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

WaltS48 wrote: How did you get it installed and working?
I don't think I bumped the max version in the install.rdf, but I might have done.

As for working, ages back I fixed the findbar functionality on this (there's a post about it somewhere) and recently did a seachbar fix - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14855224. Functionality-wise this extension never touches any bookmarking code, so that side has always been OK.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
smhardesty

Post by smhardesty »

I suppose, ATN, Sea Fox 0.4.6.
When I looked, download, install, done.

And when I looked, it did not affect bookmarking.

What version of SeaMonkey are you actually running? All attempts I have made to install Sea Fox result in the Screenshot above. Even clicking through on your link gives the same result. As I stated in my first post, I just upgraded to ver 2.53.1 and the problem presented itself only after upgrading to this version. If you aren't actively running the same version, your result may very well not be the same as mine. In addition, what OS are you running?

Unless you somehow happen to be running the same exact release of the same OS and are running SeaMonkey 2.53.1, your cute comment of "Guess what? I have no bookmarking problem and I have the Sea Fox extension." is as out of line as any comment I made about Sea Fox.

The fact of the matter is that I have run Sea Fox as an extension for as long as I have had SeaMonkey installed and running. It performed flawlessly until this latest upgrade. Another victim of this upgrade for me was "DownThemAll". A couple of things changed, most notably the ability or click and select the location to save the downloaded file. The only way to use the extension would now require all "Save To" locations to be typed in manually.

I have now removed both DownThemAll and Sea Fox. The only extensions now running on my install are DOM Inspector and uBlock Origin. It would be great if I could once again install the extensions I like to use to modify my browser, but neither of my two favorites will run on my install and OS.
therube

Post by therube »

I don't install from the web.
I download locally & install from my download.

No telling if ATN is functional in any manner?
I use it (while it exists) as "archival" place to hopefully find extensions.

uBblock is here, https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-f ... y/releases.
dTa, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... l-featured.

And I hack it: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14764519
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
smhardesty

Post by smhardesty »

OK, 'rube'. I appreciate the time you took to supply that info. I'm not whining about this, but I've reached a point where I no longer wish to research, hack, retry, do more research, then finally get everything working. I spent over 30 years in the computing industry and once I retired I vowed to never again do all the things I had done in the past. I now prefer to just install packages and run the programs. Period.

I'd really like to continue using SeaMonkey over Firefox and Thunderbird. Right now the biggest problem is with the Bookmark menu and then with DTA. I can live without both. Once I get accustomed to right clicking on the page to Bookmark a site or page, I'll be fine with that. I keep looking around for another download manager and I can always just use the default download manager in SeaMonkey. My days of downloading masses of files are over as well.

Thanks again for supplying the possible fix to my problem. I think I'll just wait and see if there are further problems in the future or if the next release of SeaMonkey and DTA fix those problems.