Proxy per Tab or Proxy per Site

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
postcd

Proxy per Tab or Proxy per Site

Post by postcd »

I want to use proxy for some specific sites. But
Proxy changer Addons change the proxy setting for the whole firefox window.
For Example: I want to use a proxy server for Google and wanna surf
directly on the other sites. Can i do this? Is there any addon or
setting to do this? Or can such setting be added?
DanRaisch

Re: Proxy per Tab or Proxy per Site

Post by DanRaisch »

You could use separate profiles for that purpose.
postcd

Re: Proxy per Tab or Proxy per Site

Post by postcd »

about:profiles

I expect it would require in my case to run two browser windows and that is not ideal, since i may confuse one with another and that is not acceptable for me (to visit a site with wrong proxy..).

But there is an addon (see this quick video introduction) that seems to separate browsing sessions and its cookies, cache etc. and also allows opening site only in predefined "container". But until this pull request is merged, it does not support proxy per container.
There are other addons that claims to support proxy per tab like https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ner-proxy/, but it does not appear like it allows any good separation or remembering which proxy to always use for particular domain.

Third addon - Sidebery seems to support proxies and it appears to also redirect defined domains to the "container" which has user defined HTTP/s, TLS or SOCKS proxy set. And allows custom UserAgent. So this seems very good, even it is not so easy to configure it.
1. Open the extension menu, click configuration wheel, go Containers, click one and define your proxy (i used shadowsocks - which is socks5 type), then on same page define "Include URLs" one domain per line. I set myip.ms . From now on it opens http://www.myip.ms always in this kind of container which has mine defined custom proxy.

I only worry what will hapen if the extension gets updated and demand new permission or other cases when Firefox disable the extension, so i do not accidently land to the site without proxy.

-> So it would be good if Firefox itself has some intelligent system that handle tab separation and using custom proxies per the tab/domain group.