Just manually updated t-bird, and now my inbox is empty(Mac)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Styve61

Just manually updated t-bird, and now my inbox is empty(Mac)

Post by Styve61 »

Hey,

But this is only on the Macbook Air, not on my iPhone. Should I regress and remove the update?

Thanks,

Steve
Last edited by DanRaisch on March 24th, 2020, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (Mac) added to Subject line.
DanRaisch

Re: Just manually updated t-bird, and now my inbox is empty?

Post by DanRaisch »

But this is only on the Macbook Air, not on my iPhone. Should I regress and remove the update?
I wouldn't recommend that until you know what is happening.

How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP?
In Thunderbird the menu path is Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
Styve61

Post by Styve61 »

DanRaisch wrote:
I wouldn't recommend that until you know what is happening.

How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP?
In Thunderbird the menu path is Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
Hey Dan... Thanks for responding so quickly. It is an IMAP set-up, and I haven't change it in at least 5 years. I have heard of odd things happening when people install updates, so I am wondering if this is a known quirk, and is there a way to reverse it.

I have never properly responded to the "Mail Server Password Required" box that pops up when I open T-bird, partly because I don't know the info required... "Enter your password for svbkeller on imap.mail.me.com," and my Thunderbird has worked fine for years. First thing I noticed was last eve, when I couldn't email myself a password, or save an email. after which I was getting this message..."Your draft message was not copied to your drafts folder (Drafts) due to network or file access errors.
You can retry or save the draft locally to Local Folders/Drafts-styve61@gmail.com."

I hope that gives you a better idea what is going on. Thanks, Steve
Styve61

Post by Styve61 »

Can't send either...

Sending of the message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.gmail.com was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again.

Maybe I should uninstall and then reinstall Thunderbird? I don't want to lose email, but if necessary...

Thanks,
Steve
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Since you are accessing the account as an IMAP type account the messages should be located on the server, unless you moved any messages out of the account folders and into the Local Folders area, located at the bottom of the left hand pane. That means that, for the most part, they should be safe.
Do you know what version you updated from?