Bookmark weirdness with themes

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Anonymosity

Bookmark weirdness with themes

Post by Anonymosity »

Why do themes now use a different generic bookmark icon in the booknarks toolbar and the bookmarks manager? I found that it was necessary to have a file in Mozapps > Places called "defaultFavicon.svg" otherwise no icon would appear in those places. The stylesheets that set up those icons are still specifying Communicator > Bookmarks > bookmark-item.gif but that is now ignored.
therube

Re: Bookmark weirdness with themes

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I do not use either the default theme or the modern theme because I do not like them. I have now patched all the third-party themes that I use to add/fix defaultFavicon.svg in such a way that it will appear and I can actually see it clearly.
What is the point of ignoring code in the theme stylesheets? I do not understand that.
mozray

Post by mozray »

Good question, Anonymosity. I'm trying to override the default bookmark icon with Stylish, but I don't think this is possible without creating an entire new theme altogether.

Here's the part where the Classic theme sets the default bookmark icon:
https://gitlab.com/seamonkey-project/se ... ar.mn#L492

Anonymosity, do you know of a specific CSS selector that will override this bookmark icon in Stylish? I don't want to create a new theme just to change this! I've tried various selectors and have looked into the CSS internals for several hours, but cannot figure this one out.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Anonymosity wrote: What is the point of ignoring code in the theme stylesheets? I do not understand that.
The dog wags the tail, not the other way around. If a theme stylesheet uses an out of date generic image then it's the theme author's fault.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
mozray

Post by mozray »

This annoyed me so much that I just created my first Seamonkey addon to override the bookmark icon :)

It was quite easy after I figured out how chrome.manifest works.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

mozray wrote:It was quite easy after I figured out how chrome.manifest works.
Yeah, using the override command in chrome.manifest is how we do stuff like this in a Complete Theme.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Frank Lion wrote:
Anonymosity wrote: What is the point of ignoring code in the theme stylesheets? I do not understand that.
The dog wags the tail, not the other way around. If a theme stylesheet uses an out of date generic image then it's the theme author's fault.
Why call it out of date? If I have a stylesheet that specifies that a certain image goes into a certain place, then that is what should happen.
I settled the problem by changing the colours in the .svg image. Themes with different colour schemes have different-coloured .svg images.
mozray

Post by mozray »

Anonymosity wrote:I settled the problem by changing the colours in the .svg image.
Changing the color still wouldn't have satisfied me as the older icons really date SeaMonkey!

I know that most of you like this older UI, but SeaMonkey could really benefit from a new theme in 2020. Even the so-called Modern theme isn't modern anymore. I've styled both the browser and email client so they resemble current Firefox and Thunderbird.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Anonymosity wrote:Why call it out of date? If I have a stylesheet that specifies that a certain image goes into a certain place, then that is what should happen.
It will happen only 100% for sure if you are also supplying the 'certain image'. Otherwise, you have to hope that a new version of SM doesn't change the images you are calling.

If you are up to date on things then you'll know in advance what they've changed and will have sorted it out before release. Hardly a novel approach.
mozray wrote: I've styled both the browser and email client so they resemble current Firefox and Thunderbird.
Both those look repulsive by default.
mozray

Post by mozray »

Anonymosity wrote:Why call it out of date? If I have a stylesheet that specifies that a certain image goes into a certain place, then that is what should happen.
I agree. Very weird to use some constant to define a default bookmark icon when the rest of the icons are not defined in the same manner.
Frank Lion wrote:Both those look repulsive by default.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

I guess that's the appeal of SeaMonkey. Classic UI untouched by time!
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

mozray wrote:I guess that's the appeal of SeaMonkey. Classic UI untouched by time!
Untouched by everything really. It's just a jumble of random buttons.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

You can use a third-party theme that changes the images and the colour scheme (except for the generic bookmark icons, now).
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Anonymosity wrote:You can use a third-party theme that changes the images and the colour scheme (except for the generic bookmark icons, now).
Enough with your aimless back and forth already.

Just post a screenshot of what you think can't be done and I'll post one showing it can. I don't get you guys with this 'I don't know how to do it, therefore it can't be done' attitude.
mozray

Post by mozray »

Frank Lion wrote:I don't get you guys with this 'I don't know how to do it, therefore it can't be done' attitude.
The whole point of this thread is because two of us cannot figure out how to change the default bookmark icon with CSS. If you know of a CSS rule that allows us to change it, let us know.

The only solution I found is to write a custom addon or theme with that chrome.manifest override, which is cumbersome.

If you want a screenshot, I've posted one before here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14754833