2.53 memory leaks

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Justinh

2.53 memory leaks

Post by Justinh »

It seems like the memory leaks in 2.53 are worse than in 2.49. I am now using SM x64 instead of x86 - don't know if that makes a difference. I can get up to 1.5GB fast, and SM starts slowing down noticeably. Closing all tabs (but one) doesn't release much of the memory.

I've tried to narrow it down to a site or add-on, but can't determine a single cause. I'm using only uBlock and web tools add-ons (which I've had for years). The only time I actually saw memory clearly increase is when playing a video, like on Yahoo's page.

Anyone else seeing this or have a good way to debug. It is really bad - I have to shutdown SM multiple times per day.
DanRaisch

Re: 2.53 memory leaks

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you tried starting in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
frg

Post by frg »

Well I can get to 3 or 4GB fast on some websites. They just need to use a lot of javascript or html5. Going to 1.5 GB is no memory leak. The question is if it is actually released later.

Check about:memory to see if something sticks out. Also use uBlock Origin and Noscript to block junk. This helps tremendously.

FRG
therube

Post by therube »

Depending on what I do, where I go, I can quickly get SeaMonkey (browsers in general) to a point where they simply eat memory, &/or to the point where usability declines - significantly, & the only viable option is to restart.
(In my case, most often this occurs when visiting video sites.)

SeaMonkey, is my stable, do everything, work the way I want to work, work browser.
But I also understand its limitations on today's "crap" websites.
Some sites simply do not work as well on SeaMonkey as they do on other browsers.

So for "crap" sites, I tend to use (cough) FF - which is often better behaved on crap sites, or can more efficiently use more memory before becoming over-tasked.
(Actually, I don't use FF, I simply throw crap at it.)

If I still decide to use SeaMonkey in such a way, if I am running into sites where memory is rapidly ramped up, where performance rapidly declines, I restart SeaMonkey & let it have another go at things.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

I second therube's experience. Media is certainly one culprit. It does seem to be a bit unpredictable and hard to pin down.

Safe mode doesn't make much of a difference. I opened only Yahoo! and let it set for 8+ hours. It started out lower (~220MB) than with my profile (~320MB), but it still ate it up to 800MB. I opened a new tab it and dropped to ~320MB.

Usually the memory does not release, and that is why I have to shut down. I wouldn't care so much if performance didn't drop off at a mere 1GB. 3-4GB is just ridiculous for a web browser, IMHO. (You got 500 tabs open or something?)
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

This is interesting. Today I was hovering around 1.3GB. I closed all tabs except about:memory. I was then a little over 1GB. Why? What is it holding on to? Then I executed Global Garbage Collection - not much difference. Then I executed Cycle Collection - not much difference. Then I executed "Minimize memory usage" - it reduced to just below 1GB. Why is it still holding on to 1GB?

I Measured the memory usage: .7GB in "Explicit Allocations". Under "window-objects" (only 182MB), it had several references to https://www.bosch.com/, which I had browsed. Why/how can it hold on to these windows when no tabs are open?

Could this be anything other than a massive memory leak? I know performance degrades much faster in 2.53 vs 2.49.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Justinh wrote:This is interesting. Today I was hovering around 1.3GB...
It's not that interesting and it is why God made a Restart button in the about:profiles page.

Try using it once in a while and then moving on to something more meaningful in your life.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
therube

Post by therube »

I think you're conflating a browser not giving up memory with a memory leak.
They're not necessarily the same.
A browser will retain memory - for things like opening last closed windows/tabs...

(I've only found Garbage Collection & all that to perhaps only provide some momentary relief.
IOW, if you get into a situation where things aren't right, you either fight with it until you can't stand it any more, or you crash, or you restart your browser & start anew.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

therube wrote:I think you're conflating a browser not giving up memory with a memory leak.
They're not necessarily the same.
A browser will retain memory - for things like opening last closed windows/tabs...

(I've only found Garbage Collection & all that to perhaps only provide some momentary relief.
IOW, if you get into a situation where things aren't right, you either fight with it until you can't stand it any more, or you crash, or you restart your browser & start anew.)

therube,

In similar vein, I have been running the beta (2.53.2 beta 1) and have been experiencing crashes semi-regularly. Don't recall that happening with 2.49.xxx.

Have not looked into it closely, but worth talking about IMO.

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
frg

Post by frg »

> Have not looked into it closely, but worth talking about IMO.

It is only worth talking if you can provide a crash id? I don't see any spike in the crash stats but wonder if 2.53.2 crash reports get blocked again by mozilla.

If you expirience this on a Dell 420 with Windows 7 x64 I can only say one word: Upgrade. The hardware is ancient. Or move to Linux. Probably out of memory or video crashes.

Btw my trusty old X200s and X201 work fine and they are almost as old.

FRG
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

frg wrote:> Have not looked into it closely, but worth talking about IMO.

It is only worth talking if you can provide a crash id? I don't see any spike in the crash stats but wonder if 2.53.2 crash reports get blocked again by mozilla.

frg,

Yes, near as I can tell, crash report didn't get through. Will see if there is another way to get it.

If you expirience this on a Dell 420 with Windows 7 x64 I can only say one word: Upgrade. The hardware is ancient. Or move to Linux. Probably out of memory or video crashes.

Btw my trusty old X200s and X201 work fine and they are almost as old.

FRG
frg,

Yes, near as I can tell, crash report didn't get through. Will see if there is another way to get it.

As for the Dell D420, it bit the bullet last week and I haven’t gotten around to update info here. Will do so now that I have a cheap budget Windows 10 Home laptop with 4Gigs of RAM.

Aside: Had X200 many moons ago, very nice, but also died.
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It would be best to keep to one subject here and the original was memory leaks. Crashes would be better discussed in a new topic.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I don't know about memory leaks, but my SM 2.53.1 is fast early in the day and crawls toward evening time, both with site loading and even composing text email messages.

Before just now this evening, the slowness was a big problem, really a drag. I canceled SM browser and email, then re-launched them. Both the browser and email processors were back to their normal fast speed.
Last edited by Peter Creasey on April 23rd, 2020, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

Peter Creasey wrote:I don't know about memory leaks, but my SM 2.53.1 is fast early in the day and crawls toward evening time, both with site loading and even composing text email messages.

Before just now this evening, the slowness was a big problem, really a drag. I canceled SM browser and email, the re-launched them. Both the browser and email processors were back to their normal fast speed.
Exactly!
frg

Post by frg »

The one time it happened to me a manual gc cc fixed it. Was after extensive playback of media files. Also use a script and ad blocker. Without them the house will fall in time especially with google or other major bloated websites.

Please try 2.53.2 beta 1. It should be stable. Final is about 2-3 weeks away.

FRG