wanting to modify format of printed email (Linux)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
SaintDanBert

wanting to modify format of printed email (Linux)

Post by SaintDanBert »

I need to prepare a printed [dead trees] copy of emails from time to time. While T'bird does a reasonable job of printing, is there some way for an end-user to control the details of how an email gets formatted?

Almost all linux-based printing uses CUPS and expects a PDF formatted file. CUPS then sees mumble.pdf and runs its standard filters. Can someone tell me where to find configuration options for the processing within T'Bird after the end-user enters CTRL-P or selects File-->Print-->{printer}-->PRINT.

Thanks in advance,
~~~ 0;¬Dan
Last edited by DanRaisch on April 24th, 2020, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (Linux) added to subject line.
tanstaafl

Re: wanting to modify format of printed email (Linux)

Post by tanstaafl »

I think you meant a Postscript Printer Description file (PPD) file is created that contains a descriptions of a printers’ features as well as the PostScript code used to invoke features for a print job for that printer. https://www.maketecheasier.com/set-up-a ... -in-linux/ describes how to create that file automatically for some desktop environments. Is your desktop environment unable to detect your printer?

The Printing Tools add-on provided some useful print layout features but doesn't support version 68 (and is not expected to be updated).

My impression is that the only print options available (without an add-on) are stored in the device specific print settings in the config editor. For example my printer is a Brother HL-L2320D series laser printer so there are several dozen print.printer_Brother_HL-L2320D_series.* settings . Those printer settings are created the first time you try to print to a printer. Before that is created there are just generic print.print* settings.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Moved from Thunderbird Features to Thunderbrid Support.
SaintDanBert

Post by SaintDanBert »

tanstaafl wrote:I think you meant a Postscript Printer Description file (PPD) file is created that contains a descriptions of a printers’ features as well as the PostScript code used to invoke features for a print job for that printer. https://www.maketecheasier.com/set-up-a ... -in-linux/ describes how to create that file automatically for some desktop environments. Is your desktop environment unable to detect your printer?
Thanks for correcting my mistake. I'm still trying to sort out what CUPS wants, needs, uses, and does with things sent through its processes and filters.
tanstaafl wrote:The Printing Tools add-on provided some useful print layout features but doesn't support version 68 (and is not expected to be updated).
I'll check out "Printing Tools" add-on and report back. Thanks!
tanstaafl wrote:My impression is that the only print options available (without an add-on) are stored in the device specific print settings in the config editor. For example my printer is a Brother HL-L2320D series laser printer so there are several dozen print.printer_Brother_HL-L2320D_series.* settings . Those printer settings are created the first time you try to print to a printer. Before that is created there are just generic print.print* settings.
Are you talking about print settings within T'Bird or within CUPS?
I know that the *nix way is minimal output and end-user interaction except for serious errors or requested output. I regret that the springenwerks of something like printing are so thoroughly hidden within T'Bird -- and T'Bird is not alone in this IMHO abuse.

Thanks in advance,
~~~ 0;¬Dan
SaintDanBert

Post by SaintDanBert »

tanstaafl wrote:Moved from Thunderbird Features to Thunderbrid Support.
Thank you, Messers Moderators for putting this into the correct bucket.
I chose Features thinking that "printing" was a feature of T'Bird.

Respectfully,
~~~ 0;¬/ Dan
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"Are you talking about print settings within T'Bird or within CUPS?"

Thunderbird.

You appear to be using Ubuntu (based on your user agent string from your post). See if https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-h ... l.en#setup helps.
SaintDanBert

Post by SaintDanBert »

tanstaafl wrote:You appear to be using Ubuntu (based on your user agent string from your post). See if https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-h ... l.en#setup helps.
Actually, I'm running Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon DE. I started with Ubuntu 08.04 lo many years ago! I moved from *buntu to Mint with Mint 10.

{Personal Note}
I'm very computing technical and have been since the late 60's. I tinker because I want to not because I must. I found that Mint gave me 95% out of the box and Cinnamon was very comfortable while still offering most of the tech goodies that *buntu provides.

I'm working as a Technical Writer and wish that the Mint folks offered better access so that I could enhance that aspect of a wonderful distribution. *buntu and Canonical® have commercial interests that restrict access without a load of red tape. I understand that, but we are an "open source" neighborhood, arent' we?
{/Personal Note}

Thanks in advance,
~~~ 0;-Dan
SaintDanBert

Post by SaintDanBert »

Thank you for that printer link. I always like to have good references for the most basic configuration details.

I have printer queues that work with my LAN connected printers.
{ASIDE}
I'd like to know more so that I can customize CUPS filter processing, specify queue configuration so that multiple queues with unique settings -- "draft letter", "HiRes A4", "2UP letter landscape", etc -- drive once physical printer.

I'd also like to be able to customize the internal processing, eg -- T'Bird, between apps and the hand-off to CUPS.
{/ASIDE}

Thanks in advance,
~~~ 0;-Dan