Why so long

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
widgetwilk

Why so long

Post by widgetwilk »

Why is my Thunderbird mail taking so long to open, I have a icon in bottom task bar, and when I click on it to open mail it can take as long as me counting slowly to 20 before it opens, never use to.
Daifne

Re: Why so long

Post by Daifne »

Moving to Thunderbird Support
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP? In Thunderbird the menu path is Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
If POP, how many messages are currently present in the Inbox folder?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Try moving most of the messages in the inbox that you want to keep to other folders/child folders, empty the trash and then compact the folders (file -> compact folders).

If that doesn't help see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Performance_-_Thunderbird .
widgetwilk

Post by widgetwilk »

I have 19 message's in the in-box, so now going to sort them,
widgetwilk

Post by widgetwilk »

Just sorted it all out, saved some in 'folders' empty trash, compact folders, closed down and it still took me counting to 21 before it opened,
go to Tools, but there is no Account Setting in the menu.
but this problem has only just happen, have had the program for some months now.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Check that Tools menu again:

widgetwilk

Post by widgetwilk »

Yes got it now, I did not have the top tool bar showing,
I know I had trouble setting it up, as I have 3 address's,
2 are IMAP and the other is POP
widgetwilk

Post by widgetwilk »

Still the same this morning, will put up with it till I can find something better.
widgetwilk

Post by widgetwilk »

tanstaafl wrote:Try moving most of the messages in the inbox that you want to keep to other folders/child folders, empty the trash and then compact the folders (file -> compact folders).

If that doesn't help see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Performance_-_Thunderbird .
Have read most of this item, but I have my Gmail account in IMAP, but cannot or understand how to do this---
If you are using Gmail with an IMAP account, unsubscribe the "All Mail" folder, unsubscribe it, exit, and then delete both "All Mail." and "All Mail.msf". The All Mail folder may double the amount of disk space used by Thunderbird.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Another test you might try is start in offline mode. If it's faster in offline mode then the slowness may be related to the process of attempting to (and getting) new mail on startup.

BTW, 21 seconds is not necessarily slow. And, what are you comparing 21 to - what would you say was your startup time when you were more satisfied?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

widgetwilk wrote:Have read most of this item, but I have my Gmail account in IMAP, but cannot or understand how to do this---
If you are using Gmail with an IMAP account, unsubscribe the "All Mail" folder, unsubscribe it, exit, and then delete both "All Mail." and "All Mail.msf". The All Mail folder may double the amount of disk space used by Thunderbird.
See if this article is helpful -- https://www.pcworld.com/article/250202/ ... tions.html]
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Some additional suggestions:

If you have a anti-virus scanner that knows what mail is (i.e. doesn't think everything is files) try configuring it to ignore Thunderbird. It might have worked fine until the AV scanner software was automatically updated.

Uncheck "enable global search/indexing" and "allow windows search to search messages" in tools -> options -> general -> advanced . You can temporarily get by using the quick filter bar or Ctrl+Shift+F to search messages.

Uncheck "keep messages in all folders for this account on this computer" in the synchronization & storage settings. That disables "offline" folders.

Run task manager and look in the performance tab. How much free memory do you have and what is the CPU utilization while starting up Thunderbird? Look in the details tab and select thunderbird.exe. How much memory does it say that process is using?