SOLVED Update 2.53.2 via sourceforge problem

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Jialean

SOLVED Update 2.53.2 via sourceforge problem

Post by Jialean »

Seamonkey update via sourceforge from 2.53.1 - Mint 19.3 Seems to have corrupted or missing files. After automatic update Top layer menus -File ..........Help- missing + no access to network from Seamonkey. Rolled back to 2.53.1 . Anybody else with the same problem?
Last edited by Jialean on May 13th, 2020, 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
therube

Re: Update 2.53.2 via sourceforge problem

Post by therube »

Just what is this sourceforge?

If you download from SeaMonkey, does the same issue occur, http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/#official?
What windows (or is it desktop) manager are you using?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

therube wrote:Just what is this sourceforge?
Ubuntuzilla is on SourceForge:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14862732
--
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Jialean wrote:Seamonkey update via sourceforge from 2.53.1 - Mint 19.3 Seems to have corrupted or missing files. After automatic update Top layer menus -File ..........Help- missing + no access to network from Seamonkey. Rolled back to 2.53.1 . Anybody else with the same problem?
If you have installed French language pack for 2.53.1:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14862873
... then you must remove it and then install LP for 2.53.2

User's profile for SeaMonkey should be there:

Code: Select all

/home/[user_name]/.mozilla/seamonkey/[profile_name]
To show it you must enable "show hidden files" option.

In "extensions" folder find XPI file with "langpack" and just delete it. After restart you should see en-US default language UI. Then you can install LP for 2.53.2, et voilà!
--
Jialean

Post by Jialean »

therube wrote:Just what is this sourceforge?

If you download from SeaMonkey, does the same issue occur, http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/#official?
What windows (or is it desktop) manager are you using?
Sorry thought sourceforge.net was well known.
PC Not windows OS but Mint linux cinnamon 19.3 - Second time I've tried linux. Some years ago installed ubuntu linux but didn't have time to learn/play with it and dropped back to MS. As confined to home have time to learn so installed on second PC which has nothing I'm afraid of losing hence doesn't matter if it crashes and have to re-install, apart from it being a pain in the backside.

Mint basically OK. Installation simple. + Cinnamon GUI makes easier learning curve. Teething problems due to me wanting to install programs which are not in the mozilla repository. Next problem is Zoom.
Jialean

Post by Jialean »

TPR75 Thanks. Basically remove language pack, re-install latest seamonkey and then re-install language packs. Seems to me to be a bit of a pain in the backside.
Under (Mint Cinnamon) Gestionnaire de mises à jour/Manage updates, depots additionals/additonal sources I've added:
deb http://downloads.sourceforge.net/projec ... ozilla/apt all main | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list > /dev/null
Thought that it would allow automatic updates which it did but with missing files.

PS Sorry about the French. I've forgotten exactly what the menus in English are.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Jialean wrote:TPR75 Thanks. Basically remove language pack, re-install latest seamonkey and then re-install language packs.
There is no need to re-install SeaMonkey. Close SeaMonkey, just delete XPI of old language pack and then start SeaMonkey and install new LP. Quick and easy.
--
Jialean

Post by Jialean »

TRP75. Again thanks. It worked the second time after it dawned on me to remove the language pack for EACH user. Not being able to use automatic updates is a bit of a inconvenience but that's life.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Jialean wrote:[...] remove the language pack for EACH user. Not being able to use automatic updates is a bit of a inconvenience but that's life.
You can use Mint's automatic updates of repo but before you'll click download/install remember to remove language packs. After update you can install new LP.

So far it's once per two months. I hope it will be fixed and old LP will be disabled when new version of SeaMonkey hits our profiles.
--