tracking protection report

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tanstaafl

tracking protection report

Post by tanstaafl »

Firefox just updated to 76.0 and displayed about:protections in a tab. It claimed it blocked 15 trackers yesterday (wed), none the day before (tuesday), and 45 the day before that (monday). However, my PC was powered down (not just in hibernation, but the power strip turned off) all day tuesday and wed., and nobody else has physical access to it. Is this type of error common?

I'm asking because I never paid attention to the tracking statistics before. I rely upon privacy badger, ublock origin and cookie autodelete.
Grumpus

Re: tracking protection report

Post by Grumpus »

May seem off-world but try unplugging from the electric receptacle power strips only break the hot lead.
Due to some electric reporting mesh setups it could be signals, mostly radio, coming through the neutral through a smart meter. In some cases a command by the electric company to local distribution equipment, air control beacons or some nudge in your neighborhood with a ham setup. There is also the possibility of other causes which require a general gullibility or designer tin foil.

I'm showing none for most of the week and 30 on Monday alone -total 30 for the week.
Using NoScript, Privacy Badger and aggressive firewall conditions.

Tested on another older system same FF76 - 6 for Monday and 6 for the whole week.
Same setup
Last edited by Grumpus on May 8th, 2020, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
therube

Post by therube »

I agree, actually.

You know the term, fake news, well, in this case, you just found real fake news.

Mozilla puts in this "feel good" feature, & talks it up, like it's some magical elixir (hmm, mr. t does the same, hmm), & not only do they do that, which might be OK in & of itself, but then they top it off by actually impeding ones workflow by bugging you, yes bugging you, extolling the glorious nature of this villainy (hmm, one must extol the glorious nature of that villain before allowing to even speak, hmm).

(I've never looked. [I'm afraid.])
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

I just took a look at my about:protections. The bottom line of icons (Social Media Trackers, Cross-site Tracking Cookies, Tracking Content, etc. is exactly below the Sun, Mon, Tues, etc. line. At first I thought that the numbers in the bottom line were the total counts for the day given above but then I figured out that the bottom line has nothing to do with the Sun, Mon, Tues etc. line.

The placement of that bottom line, IMO, should be more carefully thought out so that dummies like me aren't so easily confused. If I were designing it, I would think about placing the day designations from their current position below the graph to a position above it.

BTW I have Enhanced Tracking Protections set to "Strict", so I would expect to see no numbers in my tracking report. Seeing them (and I do see some numbers, leads me to believe that something is wrong or that something in the graph deserves a bit of an explanation.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

It depends/related to sites you visit, and it does appear the bottom line is an indicator of which things and the line above seems not related unless it's history.
It could also be if your clear history and data at the end of a session it might not save the numbers for the day.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"It could also be if your clear history and data at the end of a session it might not save the numbers for the day."

Nope. I have history disabled.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Could it be system related as well as site?
This morning on this system there were 25 or so shown for today, no specific days or other items.
Logged off for a while and logged on a little while ago and it shows 8 trackers for today, nothing specific other than trackers, nothing for days.
I'm wondering if in about:config a "Privacy" and "Tracking" item needs a setting change?
Current Protection Level is Custom, blocking about everything.
gdot179

Post by gdot179 »

Oh boy. I know, I know!

My about:protections states; "All protections are currently turned off."

Actually they are permanently turned off.

It's me and NoScript against the world!
A proud user of Mozilla Python's Flying Circus software!
gdot179

Post by gdot179 »

Special from the Mozilla Master Manipulator.

As you can see from this select list in about:config, all are disabled and/or links removed.

This is just about what my entire about:config looks like and yet, Firefox lives!

Code: Select all

pref.privacy.disable_button.tracking_protection_exceptions	false	
privacy.socialtracking.block_cookies.enabled	false	
privacy.trackingprotection.annotate_channels	false	
privacy.trackingprotection.cryptomining.enabled	false	
privacy.trackingprotection.enabled	false	
privacy.trackingprotection.fingerprinting.enabled	false	
privacy.trackingprotection.lower_network_priority	false	
privacy.trackingprotection.origin_telemetry.enabled	false	
privacy.trackingprotection.pbmode.enabled	false	
privacy.trackingprotection.socialtracking.enabled	false	
services.settings.main.anti-tracking-url-decoration.last_check	1584020035	
services.sync.prefs.sync.privacy.trackingprotection.cryptomining.enabled	false	
services.sync.prefs.sync.privacy.trackingprotection.enabled	false	
services.sync.prefs.sync.privacy.trackingprotection.fingerprinting.enabled	false	
services.sync.prefs.sync.privacy.trackingprotection.pbmode.enabled	false	
urlclassifier.features.socialtracking.annotate.blacklistTables		
urlclassifier.features.socialtracking.annotate.whitelistTables		
urlclassifier.features.socialtracking.blacklistTables		
urlclassifier.features.socialtracking.whitelistTables		
urlclassifier.trackingAnnotationSkipURLs		
urlclassifier.trackingAnnotationTable		
urlclassifier.trackingAnnotationWhitelistTable		
urlclassifier.trackingTable		
urlclassifier.trackingWhitelistTable		
A proud user of Mozilla Python's Flying Circus software!
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@gdot179 - What does about:protections read on your system, with protections off?

Read the news this morning (The Register) and showed "0" across the board after closing link.
Logged on here and immediately picked up "4", now up to "8".