master password when sending

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
yodar444

master password when sending

Post by yodar444 »

when i try to send while using a smtp server other than the account i'm in, it sometimes asks me for a master password. i'm not using password saving app in TB. it doesn't accept the password of the server i'm using.

what PW does it want?
tanstaafl

Re: master password when sending

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_password

You're probably running into a bug. Try resetting the non-existent master password. Choose Tools ->Developer Tools-> Error Console, paste the expression: openDialog("chrome://pippki/content/resetpassword.xul") at the '>>' prompt and press return. That will open a dialog asking you if you want to reset your password.
yodar444

Post by yodar444 »

i did that and got:

NS_NOINTERFACE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE) [nsISupports.QueryInterface] stack-trace-collector.js:84
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

That was an old fix. Sounds like resetpassword.xul is gone due XPCOM/XUL technology being depreciated. I don't know of a more up-todate way to reset the master password.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... r-password doesn't have any newer information . See if Matts last comment in https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1278064 gives you any ideas.

The nuclear solution would be to create a new profile and port any downloaded mail and your address books to it. What was the problem with using the accounts original smtp server? You could also try a third accounts smtp server. There are some issues you have to deal with to use gmail's, and I don't think you can use AOL's with a non-AOL email address but in general you can mix and match.
yodar444

Post by yodar444 »

the reason i'm not using the accounts original smtp server is that the account is a gsuite account, ieee.org and does not permit sending from it's smtp server for some unknown reason. i have been unable to get either ieee or google to address this. i have been using forwarding to a normal gmail account to get around this, but that results in my sent mail having the wrong 'from' address.

i found a place in options/security/passwords to remove master password, but it wants the current password which i never set and don't have. this seems to be a serious bug.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The Gmail SMTP server will ignore whatever From: address you supply (and default to the accounts email address) unless you add it in the Gmail web page at Setting -> Accounts -> "Add another email address". You should be able to do that for your normal gmail account.
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

To remove all master and account passwords, delete or rename key4.db, cert9.db and logins.json from the profile folder, with tb closed.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Password_not_ ... _passwords
yodar444

Post by yodar444 »

i have tried "Add another email address", but it won't accept the login for the ieee.org account. the login works fine for browser access, but not for smtp. i have turned on 'allow access from less secure apps' on both accounts. i even got my own gsuite account and tried to get help there, but they wouldn't help with the ieee.org account. ieee doesn't know what to do and refuses to contact google for help.

btw, i did get around the master PW issue, but i don't know exactly how. i was in 'options/security/passwords' trying everything and apparently something i did popped up a form [hidden from view] warning that deleting the master PW would remove access to stored PW's. when i found that, i said ok and lo and behold the use master PW box was no longer checked and now i can send using the alternate smtp with out it asking for the master PW.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"i have tried "Add another email address", but it won't accept the login for the ieee.org account."

I assumed the ieee.org account was administered by IEEE. That is why I suggested you add the extra identity to your normal gmail account.
yodar444

Post by yodar444 »

that is what i tried to do, but in that process, i have to enter the PW for the ieee.org account and it is rejected, even tho it works fine on the web.