How to reply in html to a plain-text message?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
coffent

How to reply in html to a plain-text message?

Post by coffent »

I can forward a plain-text message in html by shift-clicking Forward, but this doesn't work for Reply. Is there some way to force a reply to be in html?
DanRaisch

Re: How to reply in html to a plain-text message?

Post by DanRaisch »

Is your default composition mode HTML? If so, try just replying to see if you have access to the HTML formatting tool bar, just above the text entry area.
coffent

Post by coffent »

No, my default mode is plain text. However I set it temporally to HTML for testing. The problem remains the same. With default HTML, clicking Forward to a plain-text message opens the composition window in HTML, shift-clicking opens it in plain text (opposite as before, as expected). However whether clicking or shift-clicking Reply to a plain-text message, the composition window is always plain-text.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I can't replicate that here. Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
morat

Post by morat »

It works here.

I tested with a simple plain text message.

* select message, hold shift key and click reply button to compose in plain text mode
* select message, click reply button to compose in html mode
coffent

Post by coffent »

Dan & Morat - thanks for your replies. Yes, it turns out it was an Add-on. I ran TBird in Safe mode and Reply worked as expected. I then resumed normal mode and disabled the Add-ons until I found the problem. It was with one called ChangeQuote. It had a setting that I'd overlooked that was causing the problem. I should have checked this first, but thanks for the help!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No problem. Extensions are often at issue and sometimes it is a specific setting/option in that extension, making Safe Mode one of the first things to be tried when diagnosing problems.