Bookmark on desktop. [Mac.]

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
ruta

Bookmark on desktop. [Mac.]

Post by ruta »

Hi all,
My platform is MacBookPro
SM 2.49.5
How can I load the icon of my favorite radio station onto my desktop, so that in one click I can start listening, instead of loading the radio station via BOOKMARKS?
Thanks.
Last edited by LIMPET235 on May 14th, 2020, 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Mac] to the Title.
TPR75

Re: Bookmark on desktop. [Mac.]

Post by TPR75 »

ruta wrote:Hi all,
SM 2.49.5
How can I load the icon of my favorite radio station onto my desktop, so that in one click I can start listening, instead of loading the radio station via BOOKMARKS?
Thanks.
You can drag URL to desktop:
open radio station website (what you want to quick open) -> make Browser window not maximized -> search for icon on the left of URL in Address Bar -> click and hold LMB -> drag it to desktop
Now you can click icon on your desktop to quick open radio staiton website. At least it works that way under Windows.

BTW There is new SeaMonkey 2.53.2:
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/relea ... key2.53.2/
--
ruta

Post by ruta »

TPR75 wrote:
ruta wrote:Hi all,
SM 2.49.5
Thanks.
You can drag URL to desktop:
open radio station website (what you want to quick open) -> make Browser window not maximized -> search for icon on the left of URL in Address Bar -> click and hold LMB -> drag it to desktop
Now you can click icon on your desktop to quick open radio staiton website. At least it works that way under Windows.

BTW There is new SeaMonkey 2.53.2:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.seamonkey-project.org/relea ... .org/relea ... key2.53.2/</a><!-- m -->
Thank you so much' TPR75.
In principle it works for Mac as well, however there's a small fly in the ointment.
That radio station (and I am interested mainly in its news service) is a part of a national broadcasting service which includes radio, tv and other services in several languages. Hence, after opening the site I have to click three more times to select the Service (radio), Station and News. Unfortunately none of those carry the magic icon to the left of the URL, so I am unable to tune to the news in one click.
I wonder if there's a shortcut to bring me straight to the desired sub-sub-sub-site and my point of listening.
As to SeaMonkey 2.53.2: I am working a six year old MacBookPro that runs on OS 10.9.5 (upgrading to a new machine is on hold). Rumor has is that that OS does not support 2.53.2. Can you please deny that rumor?
Tks again. You have been of much help over the years.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ruta wrote:That radio station (and I am interested mainly in its news service) is a part of a national broadcasting service which includes radio, tv and other services in several languages. Hence, after opening the site I have to click three more times to select the Service (radio), Station and News. Unfortunately none of those carry the magic icon to the left of the URL, so I am unable to tune to the news in one click.
I wonder if there's a shortcut to bring me straight to the desired sub-sub-sub-site and my point of listening.
Described method is for making shortcut to URL (what user can see in Address Bar).

If radio station website will not provide direct URL/link to particular broadcast then you must click it. It's not SeaMonkey's or other browser's problem.
ruta wrote:As to SeaMonkey 2.53.2: I am working a six year old MacBookPro that runs on OS 10.9.5 (upgrading to a new machine is on hold). Rumor has is that that OS does not support 2.53.2. Can you please deny that rumor?
Should work. Make backup of your profile. You can use just some Mac archiver app and ZIP entire folder:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folde ... _Mac_users

Actually you should make it at least once per month if you don't have other backup solution for your Mac. And always before update.

When backup will be ready then move it to safe place and install latest SeaMonkey.

BTW Rumors were about Apple cutting off all soft without their (paid) authorization... in future.
--
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

There is another way to change the icon for a link on the desktop (or anywhere else) with a Mac. You can do Cmd-i on the icon, then take another icon and drag and drop it onto the small image in the upper left corner of the Get Info window.
ruta

Post by ruta »

Should work. Make backup of your profile. You can use just some Mac archiver app and ZIP entire folder:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folde ... _Mac_users

Actually you should make it at least once per month if you don't have other backup solution for your Mac. And always before update.

When backup will be ready then move it to safe place and install latest SeaMonkey.

BTW Rumors were about Apple cutting off all soft without their (paid) authorization... in future.
Tks. I am backing up my HD twice on different external disks. Primo once a week, secondo once a month. I appreciate your advice, however, considering (a) I expect upgrading to a new computer later this year and (b) I can live very well with SM 4.95.5, I prefer to keep things simple and avoid taking unnecessary risks.
As to Apple cutting off all soft without their (paid) authorization, although I am an Apple fan since 1986, I believe anything about them. If that will happen I'll have to switch over to APPLE MAIL. Now, after the mystery of successfully migrating thousands of SM documents to MAIL was solved (as was discussed in this forum several months ago) that will not be a disaster.
ruta

Post by ruta »

There is another way to change the icon for a link on the desktop (or anywhere else) with a Mac. You can do Cmd-i on the icon, then take another icon and drag and drop it onto the small image in the upper left corner of the Get Info window.

Thank you Anonymosity, but I do not understand the procedure. Can you please elaborate step-by-step?
Thank you!
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ruta wrote:I can live very well with SM 4.95.5, I prefer to keep things simple and avoid taking unnecessary risks.
Using outdated software without security patches is not avoiding unnecessary risks. But it's your call.
--
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

ruta wrote:

Thank you Anonymosity, but I do not understand the procedure. Can you please elaborate step-by-step?
Thank you!
Once the shortcut is on the desktop (with a browser document icon), start Get Info by doing Cmd-i on that desktop icon. A window will open. Find another icon (.icns file) and drag and drop it onto the small image in the upper left corner of the Get Info window. If all you have is an image rather than an icon, you can copy it with Cmd-c and then paste it (Cmd-v) into the upper left image location in the Get Info box.
Last edited by Anonymosity on May 17th, 2020, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ruta

Post by ruta »

Thank you, Anonymosity.
I followed your instructions starting with CMD-i.
Bottom line is that now I have to click that site four times in order to get to the news, instead of three times previously. Apparently life was not meant to be easy and there's a limit to shortcuts. As much as I like Macs, it seems that on this particular occasion Windows has won the day.
Your way works perfectly with changing icon for a one-step surfing.
I appreciate your time and patience.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ruta wrote: however there's a small fly in the ointment.
That radio station (and I am interested mainly in its news service) is a part of a national broadcasting service which includes radio, tv and other services in several languages. Hence, after opening the site I have to click three more times to select the Service (radio), Station and News. Unfortunately none of those carry the magic icon to the left of the URL, so I am unable to tune to the news in one click.
Every webpage has its own unique web address, otherwise the website itself would never know which webpage it was supposed to be displaying.

Do the shortcut above, navigate to the page you want and copy the addressbar website address and paste that in the Location section (right click shortcut and select Properties) of the original shortcut and it'll then take you directly to it.

It would be easier to help you if you gave details of this mystery website, then we could test it.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ruta

Post by ruta »

Do the shortcut above, navigate to the page you want and copy the addressbar website address and paste that in the Location section (right click shortcut and select Properties) of the original shortcut and it'll then take you directly to it.
Thank you.
I followed your instructions which unfortunately did not work for me. Most likely I did not do the right thing with respect to "(right click shortcut and select Properties)" which I do not understand.
That website is:
https://www.kan.org.il
and the "sub-sub-sub" URL is:
https://www.kan.org.il/radio/player.aspx?stationId=3
Over to you
frg

Post by frg »

Works fine with 2.53.2 and macOS 10.15.4

I select the tab or favicon with the left mouse button drag ito onto the desktop and a new shortcut is created. Same as under Windows. Seems macOS wants to open them in Safari as default but you can open Seamonkey via popup on them. Not really a mac person so don't know how to override the default application associations.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ruta wrote: and the "sub-sub-sub" URL is:
https://www.kan.org.il/radio/player.aspx?stationId=3
Over to you
As frg wrote, just drag the favicon of the above url to your desktop and you're good to go.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ruta

Post by ruta »

As frg wrote, just drag the favicon of the above url to your desktop and you're good to go.
Final situation after upgrading to 2.53.1 is that I saved two steps. Clicking on the downloaded icon takes me to FIREFOX and the radio stations "library", where 8 stations are offered. From now on I am made to stay in FIREFOX. I then select the radio station I desire, click on it's mike and listen to the (fake and unfake) news.
Perhaps 2.53.2 and mac OS 10.15 combined will eliminate one more step, but for the time being – until I shall acquire my new machine – I'm quite happy. I wish to thank all friends who assisted me. We all know what friends in need are.