External links causing Firefox must close notice

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
makaiguy

External links causing Firefox must close notice

Post by makaiguy »

When clicking links in TBird emails, FFox 76.0.1 now popping up this notice:

I have it set to open external links in a new window and until recently this has worked well without the annoying need to close and restart FFox. Does same thing in Mozilla Safe Mode.

Is there any way to avoid this?
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
jscher2000

Re: External links causing Firefox must close notice

Post by jscher2000 »

Can you confirm that you don't have two installations of Firefox? Some users earlier this year had a strange thing happen: their Firefox was installed in the legacy 32-bit programs folder but the update installed into the 64-bit programs folder, leading to installations in both of these places:

* C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\
* C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\

If the desktop shortcut starts one, while the path in the registry for URLs starts the other, then you would get a profile in use problem.

Note that if you use Microsoft Office, it is important to change your default browser at the system level to something else before deleting your default browser's program folder, or Office may be too stupid to find your new default browser again later. More on that problem: https://www.slipstick.com/problems/this ... trictions/
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

I *DO* still have an old ESR installed in its own directory, but when I switched back away from ESR I renamed the ESR directory to break any old shortcuts or pre-existing links.

Only finding proper TBird and FFox links via regedit -- no mention of the ESR version path.

At any rate, when it initially loads from my desktop shortcut it loads the current 64-bit 76.0.1 version, and when it shuts down and reloads as a result of that popup it loads the same version.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
therube

Post by therube »

With current FF, an external link will load (or attempt to load) your named "default" Profile (the profile defined with "Default=1" in profiles.ini).

If you are running FF 68 ESR (with 68 ESR *not* being your "default" Profile) & you have an application that says, open link in browser, FF 76 (assuming that is your default) will open (regardless of the fact that 68 happened to already be opened).

Might also look for a hung "firefox.exe" process (perhaps that didn't Quit fully, so has no UI, but persists as a process in Task Manager).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Bringing closure for the benefit of anyone with the same problem finding this thread.

Problem has been traced to Thunderbird, not Firefox. When TBird followed FFox's lead and eliminated legacy extensions, I lost the use of the Profile Switcher extension. This necessitated changing the shortcuts to launch TBird into my two profiles to include the -no-remote switch so that they could be run concurrently on occasion. For reasons I still don't understand, this caused the problem with FFox.

I solved this by adding a second complete TBird installation installed in its own separate directory. Each installation has only one profile associated with it. My shortcuts to each do not need to specify which profile to use and do not use the -no-remote switch.
Doug Wilson
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Are you using the -no-remote command line switch to start Firefox?
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Com ... ne_Options
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

dickvl wrote:Are you using the -no-remote command line switch to start Firefox?
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Com ... ne_Options
Not using -no-remote switch on the Firefox shortcut. Once only ever used one profile there so there's no need.

More recent thread leading to my fix: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3067768
Doug Wilson