FF causing massive GPU clock/temp spikes

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Nexdoreum

FF causing massive GPU clock/temp spikes

Post by Nexdoreum »

I've noticed over the last few days that whenever I have FF open, even on a blank page, the GPU Clock, Mem and Temps shoot up after 10-20 seconds but randomly (HWA is disabled in about:config). I just opened one blank tab and let it be for 30 seconds and the GPU Clock rose to 1,683 MHz, Mem Clock maxed out at 8,014 MHz and temps rose to 50C (considering with the warmer weather when I boot up I'm idling at 23-25C that's DOUBLE the temp increase). When I tried Googling the issue about 10 minutes ago I was on a forum that was basic text with no images or gifs or videos, and the GPU/Mem clocks maxed out and my temps went up to 56C (!!!!!!!!), Currently, writing this my temps are at 48C (but dropping slowly), GPU Clock is anywhere between 380-800 MHz and Mem Clock has gone down to it's min (810 MHz).

Yesterday, I was catching up on videos from the few YT channels I'm subbed to and I watched a couple of videos at 1080p60 for about 3-4 hours and temps never went over 39C. However, today, like I mentioned earlier, just opening FF to a blank page is randomly spiking to 50C+ temps and maxed out GPU/Mem Clock speed. What the hell is going on? I recently did update my nVidia drivers so could that be the cause? Otherwise, I'm stumped especially with the randomess of it all. The 56C is experienced earlier is only 4C less than my card reached yesterday after watching the yT vids for a few hours along with 3 hours of Hitman 2 playing.
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: FF causing massive GPU clock/temp spikes

Post by malliz »

Any extensions/addons?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Nexdoreum

Post by Nexdoreum »

malliz wrote:Any extensions/addons?
Only addblock. I have also just noticed that it only happens when FF is in the foreground (I don't mean minimised). I pulled up GPU Tweak II to keep an eye on the temps when I had FF open and immediately the temp and clock speed started dropping. I switched back to FF then back to GPU Tweak and the clock/temps had already gone back up.
therube

Post by therube »

Any background tasks could cause (what you'd expect to be momentary, or at most relatively short) spikes.
FF does have "telemetry" (aka spying) these days.

In addition to the nefarious data Mozilla collects (default-browser-agent.exe, achoo), you also have things like (Google) Safe Browsing updates, possibly sync (if you have that enabled), various block-lists...

Spikes may not be unexpected.
Anything prolonged would be.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Nexdoreum

Post by Nexdoreum »

Sorry for the late reply.

The only programs I have running in the background all the time is GPU Tweak II and Malwarebytes and, occasionally, Steam.

It seems to have stopped happening the over the last few days, with a few hours of YT viewing capping out at 39C (acceptable for viewing 1080p60, imo). However, yesterday and today, I've been reading up about the Universe (Fun fact: You can fit every other planet in the Solar System, including the former planet Pluto, between the Earth and the Moon) and using Google (for finding research papers etc) and Wikipedia for reference info, I've noticed clocks/temps rising again (temp maxed out at 49C on Wikipedia of all pages), which reduce when going to YT or blank pages. So I'm still confuzzled why it happens so randomly, tbh.
therube

Post by therube »

Blank page spikes (in particular if prolonged) would make me think, extension.
As in a malicious one, with an include miner...

Similarly, a poor web page, simply poorly written, or due to its inclusion of a miner, or one that simply does not work well (including video or other media that simply doesn't work well) with FF...
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript