[NOT VIABLE] Using 2 profiles of Firefox simultaneously

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ineuw

Re: [NOT VIABLE] Using 2 profiles of Firefox simultaneously

Post by ineuw »

Thanks, In Windows 10, I tried the "-profile -no-remote" switch which did not work, so I changed it to "-profile -new-instance" which on the 2nd try seems to work.

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -profile -new-instance "C:\Users\ineuw\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\english.w"
and
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -profile -new-instance "C:\Users\ineuw\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\french.w"
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05
therube

Post by therube »

-P and -profile are not the same.

-P points to a particular Profile defined in Profile Manger.
-profile tells FF top use the specified directory (path)+name as the location to open a FF Profile in.

-no-remote may not be needed any longer, or may be redundant (with FF > 67?), though I have not found it to cause any issues.
"-profile -no-remote"
What that did, was to create a new (or open an existing) profile named, "-no-remote".
(Do a search on your computer, & you should find you have a directory named "-no-remote" - with a FF Profile within.)
Actually, not so (at least on XP, with SeaMonkey).
That actually seems to throw an error message & (basically) nothing happens.
I guess the two switches, -profile & -no-remote, confuses things, & it doesn't necessarily know what to do.

Now, "-profile no-remote -no-remote" will in fact work ;-).
(That creates a Profile named no-remote & opens it using the -no-remote switch.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Not that I bother anymore but since around Fx67 can't one have half a dozen versions running with their own profiles?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

"-profile -no-remote" no longer works (FF 76.0.1 stable), at least not on my installation.
"-profile -new-instance" works for me, but I am still testing it.

Also disabled sync on every profile except the english.w profile. All other Firefox profiles' use a copy of the essential files of this profile. It's impossible to manage more than one profile and it's a waste of time.
P.S: The limitation of my method is that one can only use tabs when multiple profiles are open. Attempting to open a second window in a profile triggers the message that it's already running.
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
therube

Post by therube »

Attempting to open a second window in a profile triggers the message that it's already running.
Can't see how that can happen.
Unless you're confusing windows & instances.

If you open FF, then hit Ctrl+N, a new window opens - in that same instance of FF.

Multiple Profiles certainly do work.
They may not work, intuitively, or in a manner a sane (I hope I'm in that group - sometimes) would want, but they work.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

You are right. Just tried that without any problems. I clicked the same icon the toolbar which opened the first instance, as I would do normally do when there is only one instance and wanted another window. Sorry.