Bookmarklet to fit window to contents

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
user2018

Bookmarklet to fit window to contents

Post by user2018 »

I was searching for a bookmarklet that is able to adjust the window size of the browser to the actual contents in the current webpage. I saw some bookmarklets that adjust the size to a given one, but no solution that is able to adjust to the size needed to show the current content in a compact way (without leaving unused space in the window). For example at https://www.20minutes.fr/ if you window's size is large you will see a large amount of unused space on the right and left, that you can avoid my manually resizing the window.
ElTxolo

Re: Bookmarklet to fit window to contents

Post by ElTxolo »

user2018 wrote:I was searching for a bookmarklet that is able to adjust the window size of the browser to the actual contents in the current webpage. I saw some bookmarklets that adjust the size to a given one, but no solution that is able to adjust to the size needed to show the current content in a compact way (without leaving unused space in the window). For example at https://www.20minutes.fr/ if you window's size is large you will see a large amount of unused space on the right and left, that you can avoid my manually resizing the window.

Bookmarklet Fit to Width

Code: Select all

javascript:(function(){function%20t(f){a=d.createNodeIterator(d,1,f,false);while(a.nextNode()){}}var%20d=document;t(function(e){x=e.offsetLeft;l=e.offsetParent;while(l!=null){x+=l.offsetLeft;l=l.offsetParent}var%20w=d.documentElement.clientWidth-x;var%20s=e.style;if(s.marginLeft)w-=s.marginLeft;if(s.marginRight)w-=s.marginRight;if(s.paddingLeft)w-=s.paddingLeft;if(s.paddingRight)w-=s.paddingRight;if(s.borderSize)w-=s.borderSize;w-=d.defaultView.innerWidth-d.documentElement.offsetWidth;if(e.tagName=='IMG'){h=e.clientHeight*w/e.clientWidth;s.maxHeight=h}s.maxWidth=w+'px'})})();

• Before:

• After:

Cheers!!! Image
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240412 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
user2018

Post by user2018 »

Thank you very much, that is an interesting approach. However, I was looking for the opposite kind of solution: instead of enlarging the content to fit the width of the window, I would like to adjust the width of the window according to the actual content.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

There are some restrictions on scripts resizing windows in Firefox. Click the little box under Firefox for a compatibility note:

https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Web/ ... patibility
user2018

Post by user2018 »

Thank you for the tip. Then I think that it could be possible if the bookmarklet opens the current tab again in a new window (with window.open) and then resizes it.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

Thank you very much ...
  • You're welcome!! ;)
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240412 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

user2018 wrote:Thank you for the tip. Then I think that it could be possible if the bookmarklet opens the current tab again in a new window (with window.open) and then resizes it.
I haven't tried that myself, but it sounds like it is worth a shot if that wouldn't a problem on that site.
user2018

Post by user2018 »

I found this, which works well even though it is not a bookmarklet:
resizemybrowser.com

I'm not sure if I am on the right path because even if I achieve transforming that idea into a bookmarklet then there is the issue of how could I determine the right width size for the given contents in the window. Any idea or suggestion is welcome.