Keep ESR up to date on PC with no internet

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
nohissyfit

Keep ESR up to date on PC with no internet

Post by nohissyfit »

Hi,

Some moths back I installed 68.4.x on to a Linux Mint 19.3 PC that has no internet access. I originally downloaded it as .tar.gz. I also started out with that same version on this laptop but I am able to click Help+About and get it updated to 68.8.0.

What do I need to copy by USB-drive to the no-internet PC to bring it up to 68.8.0? I am not concerned about Security updates for it, but bug fixes etc would be nice.

Thanks
jscher2000

Re: Keep ESR up to date on PC with no internet

Post by jscher2000 »

You can download the current ESR here (check all the drop-downs in case this doesn't pre-select it):

https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/all/#pr ... esktop-esr
nohissyfit

Post by nohissyfit »

jscher2000 wrote:You can download the current ESR here (check all the drop-downs in case this doesn't pre-select it):
Thanks, but that wants to install v76, I just want 68 updated as that ESR still has a long time to run.
James

Post by James »

Actually at that link you should give Firefox 68.8.0 ESR as Firefox 76.0.1 is the current Release. Make sure the first drop down menu says "Firefox Extended Support Release" and not "Firefox" (which is for the current Release).

Firefox 68.12.0esr (out August 25) will be the last for the old 68.0 ESR branch as 78.0 ESR will be out along side 68.10.0 ESR. https://wiki.mozilla.org/Release_Management/Calendar

Alternatively you can get the Fx 68.8.0esr at https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox ... 68.8.0esr/
nohissyfit

Post by nohissyfit »

James wrote:as Firefox 76.0.1 is the current Release.
Yeah, but, then I have to reinstate all the Extensions and about:config settings on 3-PCs because of the stupid, stupid, stupid "this version no longer shares Profiles..." Then, I have to retrain my little monkeys to use the new version.

These computers have no Internet so I cannot use "Sync." And, even if they did have access there is no way I am sharing my stuff on a Mozilla or any other server. Why force us to use their Cloud to sync? Why can't I sync on my PCs?

In fact, I am not sure that Sync actually syncs the about:config stuff anyway.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

nohissyfit wrote:
jscher2000 wrote:You can download the current ESR here (check all the drop-downs in case this doesn't pre-select it):
Thanks, but that wants to install v76, I just want 68 updated as that ESR still has a long time to run.
If the hash on my link -- #product-desktop-esr -- didn't trigger the page to select ESR for you, then I mentioned that you have to use the drop-down to select it. Did you try that?