New hoster getting wrong password from TB

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ep2012
Location: If you aren't fighting in this war, YOU are part of the problem!

New hoster getting wrong password from TB

Post by ep2012 »

Hi,

I hope someone knows that the forum isn't working properly. It took me over 10 mins. to get to this part of the forum & down notification sites said the site was down as well.

So I already posted this as a bug in Bugzilla, but now it's become even worse since I posted it.

I just changed to new hosters & I guess when you change the email server, you have to put in the p/w for every account.

Since I have tons of accounts, I normally only care once I need to use an account, but TB was telling the hoster's security software that I was inputting the wrong p/w when I wasn't. I wasn't putting anything in.

TB shouldn't even be sending anything to the hoster b/c it should just not try to get mail or send out a different error.

Get mail wasn't prompting all of the accounts with a p/w popup so I didn't know which ones still needed to be addressed & even shutting down TB & restarting it didn't do that either. It would show me 2 accounts, not all of them.

I finally figured out that I had to click on "inbox" for every single account & also send a test e-mail to trigger all the sent accounts.

I did that & ALL was fine for about 24 hrs., but NOW they are telling me that 2 accounts are doing it again & I knew I already addressed them. I clicked on their inboxes & it's all fine, no popup. I sent a message, it's fine, I sent a message to those 2 accounts & all is fine, I get the test e-mail.

Please help, b/c I can't go thru this for very much longer. I've never had this happen with any other hoster before although it was only 3 others in the past 10 years.

The hoster's server is GREAT & I'm so relieved to have found a good server moving from TERRIBLE Namecheap. Their tech support is so so. They often miss answering questions or statements in my e-mails, but if their server works great & we get this problem finally resolved, all should be fine.

Here's a SS of what they are getting on their end.

https://mega.nz/#!okN2BSZB!2JHdk0yaWR5h ... 10eJ6pfcwQ

Thanks
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!
DanRaisch

Re: New hoster getting wrong password from TB

Post by DanRaisch »

When you speak of changing to a new hoster are you using new email addresses or using the same email addresses with this new hoster?

I'm going to guess that you had those passwords saved in Thunderbird so that it wasn't necessary to enter a password each time you access the email.

Go to TOOLS > OPTIONS >SECURITY > PASSWORDS tab> SAVED PASSWORDS button and there you can delete old passwords. Restart Thunderbird to ensure that the stored password is cleared from memory. The next time you "Get Mail" Thunderbird will ask for the password and you can enter the correct value and also check the box to have Thunderbird remember the value for automatic entry when you "Get Mail".
ep2012
Location: If you aren't fighting in this war, YOU are part of the problem!

Re: New hoster getting wrong password from TB

Post by ep2012 »

DanRaisch wrote:When you speak of changing to a new hoster are you using new email addresses or using the same email addresses with this new hoster?

I'm going to guess that you had those passwords saved in Thunderbird so that it wasn't necessary to enter a password each time you access the email.

Go to TOOLS > OPTIONS >SECURITY > PASSWORDS tab> SAVED PASSWORDS button and there you can delete old passwords. Restart Thunderbird to ensure that the stored password is cleared from memory. The next time you "Get Mail" Thunderbird will ask for the password and you can enter the correct value and also check the box to have Thunderbird remember the value for automatic entry when you "Get Mail".
Hi there Dan,

All the same e-mail addys.

Well yes & no, b/c I've come to realize when you change the email server, TB does want the p/w entered in again. I guess it's a security feature.

I've changed e-mail servers before, in fact I just did it with the old hoster 2 weeks earlier b/c they wanted me to get rid of mail.domainname.com & put in their actual server name.

I never had to worry about changing the p/w unless/until I used the account b/c they don't use the same security software as this new hoster. In fact none of the hosters I've ever used have used it otherwise I would have always gotten locked out from them too.

The issue was that TB wasn't telling me which accounts needed it & it kept telling the hoster I was putting in the wrong p/w when I wasn't.

That's the bug I reported to bugzilla b/c it shouldn't be telling servers that. It shouldn't even be sending ANY data until I put the p/w in again. I mean they must have thought I was a moron to put in the wrong p/w for every single account I have. I didn't even know what they were saying & I couldn't figure out why they kept saying that so I was arguing with them. sigh

They finally showed me proof that that is what the logs said.

I got locked out of their server & couldn't go to sleep b/c they weren't responding to my ticket that said I couldn't access my CPanel, e-mails, nothing. This is when I first joined them several days ago.

Anyway, re: this post I wrote up... it turns out that it wasn't TB this time, it was them. They made a mistake & told me that 2 accounts were still doing it but he was looking at the day before's logs, not the correct day after, & this stressed me out to no end b/c I had already gone thru EVERY account. I clicked on "inbox" b/c that was the only way TB was popping up that p/w dialogue box. So I had no idea what the problem was & thought I was going to waste countless more hours due to TB & never get an answer.

I didn't know there was a way to delete all the p/ws with one click, but I wouldn't want to do that anyway b/c I have tons of gmail accounts so that would mean even more work for me.

Thanks
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!