Unable to Send 20MB PDF File - Help

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
zlaer

Unable to Send 20MB PDF File - Help

Post by zlaer »

Why am I not able to send a 20MB pdf file without getting an error message? I dont get it.
WaltS48

Re: Unable to Send 20MB PDF File - Help

Post by WaltS48 »

zlaer wrote:Why am I not able to send a 20MB pdf file without getting an error message? I dont get it.
It would help if you provided the error message.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

What is the exact text of the error message?

Does it make a difference who you try to send it to? While most email providers support a 20MB attachment not all do.

A 20MB PDF file on your hard disk will actually be about 25MB due to base64 encoding when its sent. Base64 encoding is a way to store a binary file that works around limitations on what characters can be stored in a email message. Three 8-bit bytes are stored as four 6-bit (base64 encoded) bytes.
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

tanstaafl wrote:What is the exact text of the error message?

Does it make a difference who you try to send it to? While most email providers support a 20MB attachment not all do.

A 20MB PDF file on your hard disk will actually be about 25MB due to base64 encoding when its sent. Base64 encoding is a way to store a binary file that works around limitations on what characters can be stored in a email message. Three 8-bit bytes are stored as four 6-bit (base64 encoded) bytes.
There shouldnt be any error. Its only 20 - 25MB.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Okay, the error is not due to its size. Good to know. But since my mind reading skills are on the fritz today, what is the full text of the error message?

Does the problem occur with any large binary attachment or just with .pdf files?

If you have more than one account (ignoring "Local Folders"), does this problem only occur when sending from a specific account?
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

tanstaafl wrote:Okay, the error is not due to its size. Good to know. But since my mind reading skills are on the fritz today, what is the full text of the error message?

Does the problem occur with any large binary attachment or just with .pdf files?

If you have more than one account (ignoring "Local Folders"), does this problem only occur when sending from a specific account?
Forgot what the error said. But it said that it cant send the file due to size. Then I get a recurring error that says the following everytime I open TB. And I dont see an outbox folder in TB.

tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The Outbox folder should be in the special "Local Folders" account. Its shared by all of the accounts. Its file name is "Unsent Messages." but Thunderbird displays it as the Outbox folder.

You might have a message queued there for sending that is too large for the recipients mailbox size.
morat

Post by morat »

Here is a way to turn off the big attachment warning.

Big attachment warning
http://support.mozilla.org/questions/1081046

Preference mailnews.message_warning_size 20971520 (default)

note: 20971520 bytes = 20.0 megabytes

Reference
http://searchfox.org/comm-central/searc ... endWarning
Last edited by morat on May 26th, 2020, 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Are you unable to send the 20MB pdf file, or are you able to send it but want to disable a warning that occurs beforehand every time you send it? The title says one thing (Unable to Send 20MB PDF File) while the text in your first post says another.
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

tanstaafl wrote:Are you unable to send the 20MB pdf file, or are you able to send it but want to disable a warning that occurs beforehand every time you send it? The title says one thing (Unable to Send 20MB PDF File) while the text in your first post says another.
Yes I am ale to send a 20MB file. But then I get these warnings afterwards which shouldnt be there.

So after I send my 20MB file I close TB. After reopening TB I get this message:

Then I get this message:

I then get this message and I choose the option to restart TB:

Then every time I open TB I get this message:

I'm able to send and receive the file with no issue except these stupid messages pop up when they shouldn't.

Please advise Thanks.

tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

screen shot 1 - didn't manage to save copy in remote send folder:

I've run into that occasionally on my default account. It worked intermittently, and I didn't seem to have a obvious connection problem. The other accounts worked fine when that happened. You could re-configure the account in copies&folders to use a sent folder in Local Folders if you're willing to give up sharing that folder (with webmail and other PCs). Some email providers let you configure the SMTP server to automatically save a copy of the sent message for you. This eliminates the problem, and cuts the amount of data uploaded in half. In my case I looked in the webmail setting using a browser and found a setting to automatically save sent messages when using the SMTP server (email clients, not webmail) that required me to specify what From: address (it called it "personality") it should do that for. Worked fine. I just had to uncheck the checkbox in copies&folders to save a copy of the sent message to avoid duplicates. Your email provider might have something similar.

screen shot 2 - message sent and saved but problem running filters on it:

Sounds like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. If you solve the prior problem (saving your copy) that should work around that.

screen shot 3 - warning about saving a message later than 20MB:

Morat's suggestion to set mailnews.message_warning_size to a bigger number sounds like a good workaround. Try setting it to 52428800 (50MB) using the config editor at tools -> options -> advanced -> general. Enter the setting in the search field
and double click on the number underneath "Value" to bring up a popup window to let you edit the 20971520.

If you've never edited a setting that way you will get a popup warning message basically saying be careful, with a checkbox you need to uncheck.
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

tanstaafl wrote:screen shot 1 - didn't manage to save copy in remote send folder:

I've run into that occasionally on my default account. It worked intermittently, and I didn't seem to have a obvious connection problem. The other accounts worked fine when that happened. You could re-configure the account in copies&folders to use a sent folder in Local Folders if you're willing to give up sharing that folder (with webmail and other PCs). Some email providers let you configure the SMTP server to automatically save a copy of the sent message for you. This eliminates the problem, and cuts the amount of data uploaded in half. In my case I looked in the webmail setting using a browser and found a setting to automatically save sent messages when using the SMTP server (email clients, not webmail) that required me to specify what From: address (it called it "personality") it should do that for. Worked fine. I just had to uncheck the checkbox in copies&folders to save a copy of the sent message to avoid duplicates. Your email provider might have something similar.

Hi tanstaafl,

Appreciate the followup. I've used Morat's suggestion which works.. hats off to Morat for that help!

I have gmail and I believe by default gmail saves a sent copy on their server. So you're saying that if I choose to use a sent folder in Local Folders in TB account settings that gmail will no longer receive a sent copy in its server?

tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Gmail's smtp server is non-standard. It will always save a copy of the sent message in the gmail accounts sent mail folder. AFAIK there is no way to disable that feature. You can hide that folder (its really a label) using the Gmail webmail settings. Or you could unsubscribe it in Thunderbird's Gmail account. Either way should let you configure Thunderbird to use a Sent folder in "Local Folders" but you'd pay the price of using up more space in your Gmail mailbox as the remote sent mail folder still gets a copy of the sent message too, even though you can't see that folder.

https://www.howtogeek.com/school/gmail-guide/lesson3/ (explains how to hide a label near end of article)
https://webapps.stackexchange.com/quest ... -sent-mail discusses several attempts to avoid using the Sent Mail folder.

You could use a sent folder in "Local Folders" rather than the accounts remote Sent folder with Yahoo, Outlook, GMX, Comcast etc. without having to play games.
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

tanstaafl wrote:Gmail's smtp server is non-standard. It will always save a copy of the sent message in the gmail accounts sent mail folder. AFAIK there is no way to disable that feature. You can hide that folder (its really a label) using the Gmail webmail settings. Or you could unsubscribe it in Thunderbird's Gmail account. Either way should let you configure Thunderbird to use a Sent folder in "Local Folders" but you'd pay the price of using up more space in your Gmail mailbox as the remote sent mail folder still gets a copy of the sent message too, even though you can't see that folder.
Hi tanstaafl,

Its important for me to have the sent folder in Local Folders and in gmail. But I need the convenience that once I delete it from the sent folder in TB that its also deleted in gmail also.

tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I'm not aware of a easy way to keep them in sync. You could create a virtual folder using saved search that acts as if it contains the contents of both folders. That would make it a little easier to delete both copies at the same time. I'm not sure its worth the complexity. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Saved_Search

Have you considered using message aging per http://kb.mozillazine.org/Message_aging to limit how long messages can stay in the Gmail sent mail folder before they are automatically deleted? Warning - that feature permanently deletes messages - it doesn't move them to the trash etc.