Royally Screwed up my Firefox Install

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Robert Lindsay

Royally Screwed up my Firefox Install

Post by Robert Lindsay »

Ok I have had Firefox on my system for a long time now. The new version, 77, is a humongous memory hog and eats up 3-4 GB of memory just like that with no problem. FF never did this before. So I went to install an older version. Wouldn't let me do it. Told me I had to create a new profile. Did it but then I got a profile with no passwords, none of my special alterations, no memory of websites, nothing at all.

I tried another old version and that didn't help. It kept getting the new profile. I copied the old profile over the new one and then tried it. No help. Still no changes. Then I deleted the new profile. I then went and deleted the Mozilla folder. Now it won't even install as it keeps saying it can't find my profile. The profile I still have on my system is the old one. I really want to keep that old profile because it's got all my passwords. I don't understand why this change to "make a new profile" was essential. Worked better the other way.

Ok how do I fix? I want all my old passwords back is the main thing. I really want that old profile back or at least the passwords for Chrissake. The add-ons might be nice too.
jscher2000

Re: Royally Screwed up my Firefox Install

Post by jscher2000 »

Robert Lindsay wrote:I then went and deleted the Mozilla folder.
UNDO the delete

Then be selective: https://support.mozilla.org/kb/recoveri ... ld-profile
costark

Post by costark »

jscher2000 wrote:
Robert Lindsay wrote:I then went and deleted the Mozilla folder.
UNDO the delete

Then be selective: https://support.mozilla.org/kb/recoveri ... ld-profile
Do above but after reconstructing Profile to your liking get in the habit of Copy-Paste --- Profile --- periodically to Local + Ext Drive Safe Folders and/Or use this great app (for me at least) .. https://www.hekasoft.com/hekasoft-backup-restore/ ---
Have Restored FF with it prior after an Uh-Oh wiped part of the Profile ........
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

The OP is using a 77b/ RC......Not a 'new version' til next Tuesday..
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Robert Lindsay

Post by Robert Lindsay »

Ok just about everything is fixed now except Mozillazine keeps screwing up on both Opera and Firefox. It keeps logging me out and making me login again and then when I login again it says my username and password are wrong. Then I've exceeded the number of attempts and now I have to do it wirh the Captcha. I do all that and same stupid message. Only way to fix is to ask for a new password. I've gotten three new passwords so far.

Anyway most everything is fixed somehow or other not so how by use of the Profile Manager and then copying over a lot of important files at first en masse and then one by one over to the new profile. Old profile seems to be dead for all intents and purposes. All passwords are back except it doesn't remember any of my old sites. It has no memory when you put in a site in the address bar. Also I had a special hack to make the text more gray so it reads better and now that's back.

However, one huge problem. I am permanently locked out of my Google account. Every time I try to get into Gmail, it tells me
Temporary Error

We’re sorry, but your Gmail account is temporarily unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience and suggest trying again in a few minutes. You can view the G Suite Status Dashboard for the current status of the service.

If the issue persists, please visit the Gmail Help Center »

Try Again Sign Out

Hide Detailed Technical Info
Numeric Code: 4
Ok well you go to Google and it tells you that this is an error with them and you just wait and then it will load. Except it never loads, ever. Also it is presently loaded in Opera, reloads, works fine, so Gmail is working. It's just somehow not working on Firefox.s

Also it didn't remember any of the special fonts I had set up. Need to make all new fonts. No memory of old wages in the pocket page.

I'm posting this with Opera because Mozillazine still acts insane on FF when I try to go to it even when I am already logged in with Opera (which for some reason, it can't figure out).

Good God this was a hellacious mess.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Any specific reason you are running a beta version of the program rather than the current release version?
Robert Lindsay

Post by Robert Lindsay »

DanRaisch wrote:Any specific reason you are running a beta version of the program rather than the current release version?
It updated itself for me and apparently it updated me to the 77 beta! I didn't notice until I looked at the version and it said 77. I'm now on 76.01
Robert Lindsay

Post by Robert Lindsay »

Mozillazine now fixed on my new install, but Gmail gives me "temporary error" forever.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Robert Lindsay wrote:I'm posting this with Opera because Mozillazine still acts insane on FF when I try to go to it even when I am already logged in with Opera (which for some reason, it can't figure out).
Cookies. Firefox doesn't sent sites your Opera cookies, so being logged in in Opera is not relevant to being logged in in Firefox.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

jscher2000 wrote:being logged in in Opera is not relevant to being logged in in Firefox.
Knowing who the owners are how would you know ?
Robert Lindsay

Post by Robert Lindsay »

mightyglydd wrote:
Robert Lindsay wrote:I'm posting this with Opera because
...of free bugged fortune cookies? Cookies. Firefox doesn't sent sites your Opera cookies, so being logged in in Opera is not relevant to being logged in in Firefox.
"

I don't know. A lot of times if I am logged into a site on one browser, I switch to the other browser and it just let's me in. I always thought it somehow knew I was logged in on the other browser. My Firefox account does know that I've been browsing with Opera yesterday and it also knew about my Android browsing.

Anyway, fixed all my issues! The error message with Gmail was fixed by simply deleting the cache and all cookies from Firefox. Then it loaded right up.

I was looking for A+ FontSizerPro, a totally awesome add-on that lets you change page colors, font sizes, etc. but it doesn't work on Firefox anymore since they started the new way of doing extensions. Yet it's still up at the add-ons site, even though it doesn't work anymore. I looked around some more and found NoSquintPlus extension. Pretty damn buggy and weird but after monkeying with it a bit, finally got it to work. It's a decent replacement for A+ FontSizerPro. Do you know of any other similar extensions?
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

mightyglydd wrote:
jscher2000 wrote:being logged in in Opera is not relevant to being logged in in Firefox.
Knowing who the owners are how would you know ?
The owners of this site?? Firefox only sends sites the cookies they set in Firefox. Perhaps there is an exception if you tell Firefox to import cookies from the other browser (if that is possible).
Robert Lindsay wrote:
mightyglydd wrote:
Robert Lindsay wrote:I'm posting this with Opera because
...of free bugged fortune cookies? Cookies. Firefox doesn't sent sites your Opera cookies, so being logged in in Opera is not relevant to being logged in in Firefox.
"

I don't know. A lot of times if I am logged into a site on one browser, I switch to the other browser and it just let's me in. I always thought it somehow knew I was logged in on the other browser.
The reasons you might be logged into a site in a browser are (A) cookies the site previously set in that browser or (B) login credentials you saved in that browser. Some sites use an SID in the address bar in lieu of cookies, but these are gibberish and would need to be copy/pasted.
My Firefox account does know that I've been browsing with Opera yesterday and it also knew about my Android browsing.
As far as I know, Opera cannot connect with Firefox Sync to upload Opera browsing history via your Firefox Account, so you probably mean something a bit different. If a website has set a cookie for your account in different browsers, of course they know it's you in both browsers, that's the whole point of setting the cookies.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

jscher2000 wrote: The owners of this site??

No, the trustworthy owners of Oprah....
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

mightyglydd wrote:
jscher2000 wrote: The owners of this site??

No, the trustworthy owners of Oprah....
I don't know who owns Opera, but I would be very surprised if they added a feature to modify cookies in Firefox.