Did Not Connect: Potential Security Issue

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
bgreenage

Re: Did Not Connect: Potential Security Issue

Post by bgreenage »

Just the bookmarks. I installed the extensions manually. And I started in safe mode and it still happened.
bgreenage

Post by bgreenage »

Only the bookmarks.I added the extensions manually. Still functioning. So I thought if I uninstalled and reinstalled that might help. I was only able to uninstall one. The other doesn't show up in Apps and features. So not sure what to do. C:\Users\bgree\AppData\Local\Mozilla Firefox. There are two folders in local. The one shown at the left which links to the shortcut and this C:\Users\bgree\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles. But only one desktop shortcut.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

bgreenage wrote:OK, so now both shortcuts have bookmarks. But there still give me the error message Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead. this is one site. It was my home page until now. https://www.inquirer.com/. And also this Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead https://www.youtube.com. I'm confused.
What is the error code (usually ALL_CAPS) on the error page or if you click the Advanced button on the error page? https://support.mozilla.org/kb/error-co ... e-websites
bgreenage

Post by bgreenage »

Error code: SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER. The certificate seems to relate to the site I try to visit. Amazon.com , Entertainment weekly,www.inquirer.com ( philly newspaper), Go Daddy etc. The link you provided says In case you get this problem on multiple unrelated HTTPS-sites, it indicates that something on your system or network is intercepting your connection and injecting certificates in a way that is not trusted by Firefox. The most common causes are security software scanning encrypted connections or malware listening in, replacing legitimate website certificates with their own. In particular, the error . So I deleted the only non microsoft security software Advanced System care. Problem still happens. So now I'm down to the part where they recommend running anti malware programs. So I guess I'll try that.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

When you click View Certificate for the unknown issuer certificate, does the "Issued by" section have a pattern across all the problem sites?
bgreenage

Post by bgreenage »

No there is not.
bgreenage

Post by bgreenage »

mightyglydd wrote:Which AV are you using ?
Windows Defender
bgreenage

Post by bgreenage »

So I ran McAfee,Malware Bytes,Spybot S&D, Super Antispyware, ADW cleaner and TDS Killer. Nothing significant found. Problem remains. Location of FX "C:\Users\bgree\AppData\Local\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe". But does not show up in Settings/apps and features except in default apps as web browser.But not in apps and features. There is a Mozilla maintenance service. What else can I try.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

mightyglydd wrote:^^Did you ever remove McAfee 'security' ????
So I ran McAfee
You still have it running with Defender ?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
bgreenage

Post by bgreenage »

I removed it several months ago. In an effort to try different programs I reinstalled McAfee just to see if it could find anything. It didn't so I uninstalled it again. I've just using defender by itself these past few months. I'm just trying everything I can think of or is offered to me as a possible solution
gdot179

Post by gdot179 »

First and foremost, there is nothing wrong with any of the sites certificates. I checked them all.

I am stunned, I tell you, amazed, that no one has suggested a new, totally untouched, profile. A big 10 seconds out of life.

Trying to copy various portions of profiles from one to the other is absurd.

New, untouched profile, same problem = non-firefox related problem.

Listening to OP, I am not convinced they can accomplish above.

Not being a Windows person, I suggest listening to mightyglydd.
A proud user of Mozilla Python's Flying Circus software!
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

He already has two profiles and you want to add a third?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
bgreenage

Post by bgreenage »

So, I deleted the remaining FX not sure what to call it. I read that by doing that it would create a folder on the desktop called old fx data. I then installed the most current version. It had all the bookmarks, passwords etc already there.I just had to add the extensions manually. And now it's working fine. And there is only one profile not the two that had been there before.Thank you everyone for your great support and help in getting this problem fixed. I really appreciate it. Have a great Monday.