How do I get rid of the TB update nag?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
pokeefe0001

How do I get rid of the TB update nag?

Post by pokeefe0001 »

I am running TB 68.7.0 on one computer. It repeatedly nags me to update to update to 68.8.1. 68.8.1 has been out only a week or so - far too green to install, and no security fixes which would make immediate upgrade a necessity. I intend to upgrade in about 3 weeks or so.

How do I get rid of the nag?

I've got 3 other computers which are running TB 60.3.3. They are going to stay on it until this is resolved.
Patrick O'Keefe
Win11 x64 Pro, FF 113.0.2 TB 102.7.2
WaltS48

Re: How do I get rid of the TB update nag?

Post by WaltS48 »

pokeefe0001 wrote:I am running TB 68.7.0 on one computer. It repeatedly nags me to update to update to 68.8.1. 68.8.1 has been out only a week or so - far too green to install, and no security fixes which would make immediate upgrade a necessity. I intend to upgrade in about 3 weeks or so.

I've got 3 other computers which are running TB 60.3.3. They are going to stay on it until this is resolved.
In 3 weeks 68.9.0 will be out for about 2 weeks and they should be close to 68.10.0.

There is an update approximately every 4 weeks following the Firefox ESR schedule.

You could switch to Ubuntu Linux and use their build, no nags and they are only up to 68.8.0. Just updated this week.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
pokeefe0001

Post by pokeefe0001 »

WaltS48 wrote:
pokeefe0001 wrote:I am running TB 68.7.0 on one computer. It repeatedly nags me to update to update to 68.8.1. 68.8.1 has been out only a week or so - far too green to install, and no security fixes which would make immediate upgrade a necessity. I intend to upgrade in about 3 weeks or so.

In 3 weeks 68.9.0 will be out for about 2 weeks and they should be close to 68.10.0.

There is an update approximately every 4 weeks following the Firefox ESR schedule.

You could switch to Ubuntu Linux and use their build, no nags and they are only up to 68.8.0. Just updated this week.
Are you saying that there is no way for regular users to disable the nag, but Mozilla allows Ubuntu to disable it? That's a bummer.

I have no desire to switch to Ubuntu (or any other flavor of Linus or Unix). I have too much software that does not have Linux support.
Patrick O'Keefe
morat

Post by morat »

Try changing the app.update.channel pref to a non existing channel like default.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/App.update.channel
pokeefe0001

Post by pokeefe0001 »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/App.update.channel is very old and (I think) contains outdated information. But it got me looking around and I found a TB file called "update-settings.ini" which contains:
; If you modify this file updates may fail.
; Do not modify this file.

[Settings]
ACCEPTED_MAR_CHANNEL_IDS=thunderbird-comm-release

Since I always manually download updates I WANT the automatic update to fail. I will change this and see what happens. If this works, I just have to remember to clobber this file with each new update.
Patrick O'Keefe
morat

Post by morat »

I'm not sure if the DisableAppUpdate policy using the policies.json file works in Thunderbird 68.

Turn Off Updates for Firefox
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3057471

Policy Templates for Thunderbird
http://github.com/drlellinger/thunderbird-policies
http://github.com/drlellinger/thunderbi ... s/releases (for customizing with Group Policy)

DisableAppUpdate policy for Thunderbird
http://github.com/drlellinger/thunderbi ... eappupdate

Add Group Policy Files for Thunderbird 68
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1578669
JYLD

Post by JYLD »

Under tools-options-advanced there is no tab to tell TB not to update? You could also look at the config editor and search for the word " update ", and make appropriate modifications? At least in 60.9.1 you can do these things.
pokeefe0001

Post by pokeefe0001 »

JYLD wrote:Under tools-options-advanced there is no tab to tell TB not to update? You could also look at the config editor and search for the word " update ", and make appropriate modifications? At least in 60.9.1 you can do these things.
Yes, that worked through 60.whatever. Then there was a jump to 68.0 and that changed. You can still tell TB not to automatically do the update, but you can no longer (easily) tell it not to check, and it nags when it finds an update.

Changing the "update-settings.ini" files seems to have worked, but that will be wiped out when I finally do update.

I haven't yet tried the DisableAppUpdate policy.

Update: Immediately after submitting this post I got the nag. Looks like changing "update-settings.ini" didn't help. On to the policy technique.
Patrick O'Keefe
JYLD

Post by JYLD »

Does 68* still have the config editor under tools-options-advanced-general tab. If it does open it and search for the words " update " and then " service ". Make the appropriate items false or off for update and update service.

If that doesn't work then you could use AutoHotKey or some other macro program to create a macro that runs in the background and every time it sees the nag window pop up it clears it off the screen.
pokeefe0001

Post by pokeefe0001 »

JYLD wrote:Does 68* still have the config editor under tools-options-advanced-general tab. If it does open it and search for the words " update " and then " service ". Make the appropriate items false or off for update and update service.
The function is there but the particular option is either missing or well hidden. I suspect it's missing since everything I've read about this seems to imply that TB now (as of TB 68) matches FF in this arena. I'm not sure that's exactly true, but I've been using a FF policy to prevent automatic updates. I guess I'll try it for TB.
Patrick O'Keefe
JYLD

Post by JYLD »

Did you ever try searching with the config editor for " app.update ". There may be some changes you could make there that would work if the FF Policy doesn't work.
pokeefe0001

Post by pokeefe0001 »

There are a lot of app.update options. I have "app.update.service.enabled" disabled.

I'm not sure what most of the options do and cannot find documentation describing them (although is must exist somewhere).
"app.update.staging.enabled" might be worth setting to disabled, but I'm reluctant to make changes blindly.

I have not gotten the nag today so I may have achieved my goal through the use of policies. I used the sort of fake version of the policy - using "policies.json" rather than using the Windows Group Policy editor. I do the same think with FF and realize that file gets removed every time the product is updated. Maybe it's time I try the policy editor.
Patrick O'Keefe
JYLD

Post by JYLD »

" app.update.service.enabled" disabled "

You meant app.update.service.enabled is set to " false ", correct?

In 60.9.1, I also have app.update.auto set to false; app.update.enabled set to false; app.update.service.enabled is set to false; app.update.staging.enabled is set to false; app.update.download.attempts is set to false.
bobwass

Post by bobwass »

in the thunderbird config editor

app.update.doorhanger false