No Outgoing Email With Surfshark VPN

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
wpr

No Outgoing Email With Surfshark VPN

Post by wpr »

I've been using Surfshark VPN for a couple months and recently, after an update to version 2.6.5, I cannot send emails from SeaMonkey 2.49.5 Portable, on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. There are no problems if I disconnect Surfshark. Incoming emails are OK.

I've had numerous chats with Surfshark support and tried many variations of encryption schemes and ports, all with no success; I'm using no connection security and port 587 for the SMTP servers. I even tried using prior versions of Surfshark, that had worked, and still no success.

Anyone have any suggestions to resolve this?
Peter Creasey

Re: No Outgoing Email With Surfshark VPN

Post by Peter Creasey »

I use Port 465 with SSL/TLS.
Port 465 requires negotiation of TLS/SSL at connection setup and port 587 uses STARTTLS if one chooses to negotiate TLS. The IANA registry was updated to allow legitimate use of port 465 for this purpose.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
wpr

Post by wpr »

Thanks for the reply.

I tried using 465 with SSL/TLS and got a server timeout message, with Surfshark connected. Once disconnected, my message went out fine. I've always used 'no connection security' without any problems, until this recent episode.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

So, what does that mean? Are you squared away now or still in a quandary?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
wpr

Post by wpr »

The inability to send emails with Surfshark connected still remains. I'm waiting to hear from Surfshark.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Are you attempting to send mail through an SMTP server associated with your internet provider? Many will only accept messages from accounts accessing the web via their service. My home internet service is via my local cable company, for instance, and I can only use their SMTP server when I'm home and connected via them. When on the road I have to send through a non-ISP service (e.g. gmail, yahoo, etc.). Maybe your ISP has just initiated a similar policy and going through the VSP interferes with this.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
wpr

Post by wpr »

Yes, the SMTP server is my ISP's (Spectrum). I spoke to one of their reps about this and she told me they weren't the cause, though she might be mistaken.

I still think it's something to do with Surfshark's programming; I'm waiting for their report.