Adobe Flash Player - still download - replacement

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
LIMPET235

Re: Adobe Flash Player - still download - replacement

Post by LIMPET235 »

You're welcome.
Just a heads-up on your comment/s...

If you receive a pop-up or prompt to update Flash & you just loaded a web site...
Do NOT click that "Update Flash...Now" button.
Never know what you'll get.

Always go to the relevant creator/s/Authors site to check for any updates.
"If you didn't ask for it....You definitely do not need it."
Savvy?
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

motivated wrote:James – so with my ver 75 I have HTML 5 built in, correct? Meaning I don't need to update my flash player anymore, correct?

Another poster posted that I should keep updating flash player.

Thanks.
Flash does more than one thing.

Firefox has a built-in media player for sites that serve audio and video in standard HTML5 tags. Most sites do that now, so you almost never need Flash for this purpose. If an older site hasn't been updated and still tries to play media through an object tag specifying a Flash file (.swf), Firefox will not sort out how to make that compatible with the built-in player instead. The media will not play without Flash in that case.

Flash games are another matter. Firefox does NOT have an all-purpose Flash replacer that would allow Flash games to run directly in the browser; the effort to build one fizzled years ago. Sites will need to convert their Flash games to JavaScript/Wasm/etc. to run in browsers without Flash.

Should you update Flash? As long as Flash is on your system and could be called by other programs like Internet Explorer, yes, you should keep it up-to-date. Or you could remove it if that sounds like too much trouble.
motivated

Post by motivated »

Thank you.
jgb

Post by jgb »

But what do I do with all my old apps and animations (ie: .SWF files) that need flash to work?
jgb
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Not our problem try asking Adobe
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

jgb wrote:But what do I do with all my old apps and animations (ie: .SWF files) that need flash to work?
Internet Explorer 11. You can start it by typing iex in the Windows 10 search box and looking for its familiar e icon on the Start menu search results.
jgb

Post by jgb »

jscher2000 wrote:
jgb wrote:But what do I do with all my old apps and animations (ie: .SWF files) that need flash to work?
Internet Explorer 11. You can start it by typing iex in the Windows 10 search box and looking for its familiar e icon on the Start menu search results.
No way I will give up on my Firefox.
jgb
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

jgb wrote:
jscher2000 wrote:
No way I will give up on my Firefox.
Don't give up Firefox, just use IE 11 for the rare SWF.