Office 365 sending issue with GoDaddy

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
glisa

Office 365 sending issue with GoDaddy

Post by glisa »

Hello,

Sorry for this long introductory post! I have been searching for over two weeks and can't find a solution that works. Seems this issue goes back to 2005 and solutions seem to be hit or miss. Have tried everything I could find be it in the GoDaddy forums, the Microsoft forums, and here.

-Thunderbird 68.9.0 (32-bit) (Downloaded the 64 bit, but TB keeps opening up with the 32 bit).
-Windows 10 (64-bit)

-Been using Thunderbird here at work for three years with our business AOL email address and have no issues with it.

-We have a website, but the boss opted to buy a domain with a shorter url to simply use for email (both are with GoDaddy).

-We did not buy Office365, but bought the least expensive option with GoDaddy called Email Essentials for the boss, a co-worker, and me - all work great using a browser. I am the only one who uses Thunderbird.

-I sent a couple of customers about the change from the AOL email in TB. They replied back to the new email and that's when I found I couldn't reply from Thunderbird. Opted to try the Microsoft Mail client which worked, but I was determined to make it work with TB. That began my search to find out why sending/replying/forwarding through Tb doesn't work. It was the usual:
1. Password fail (Login to server smtp.office365.com with username xxxxx@xxxxx.com failed).
2. Then receive the unknown error sending of the message failed due to unexpected error 80004005, yet if I copy and paste the password fail smtp.office365.com into the browser I can log right in.

-Have tried using the POP instead of IMAP. Have tried setting up manually.

-Deleted the passwords in TB and closed it out, changed the passwords (twice), turned off virus protection (disabled scan outgoing smtp), tried entering it manually, tried using the name with nothing after @, changing ports, etc. Have even deleted the AOL passwords out of TB, restarted, etc. - no go.

-Have checked multiple times the IMAP settings in the O365 sync mail section (although both POP and IMAP are greyed out).

-Tried opening/running TB in safe mode. Also tried disabling Lightening.

-Everything seems to sync fine when I have the browser or the MS Mail opened up. Emails are synced with TB, can see them sent in the Inbox, of course, but even the Sent folder after sending from the browser.

- Have tried running through the server (incoming/outgoing) using no authentication, normal password, etc. in the Account Settings.

-I don't know if something in the sign-in link gives any clues (https://sso.godaddy.com/?realm=pass&app=o365). I can't find anywhere where we have 2FA, MFA, or two-step verification, etc. Even if we did, I haven't been able to find anywhere in GoDaddy to disable them. When I put in the password I get a Microsoft box asking if I want to stay signed in. From there I'm given a dashboard where I can choose to go to Outlook. So .. I don't even know if we have Outlook or Office365. It's all so confusing!

-Have seen mention of enabling third party apps, but have yet to find anywhere either in Outlook/O365 or GoDaddy where to do that.

Current settings:

Imap:
Server name: outlook.office365.com
Port: 993
Encryption method: TLS

SMTP:
Server name: smtp.office365.com
Port: 587
Encryption method: STARTTLS

It's late on Friday afternoon so I may not pop back in until Monday. I've tried editing this down all day and wanted to give all information I could! :lol:

Thanks for any help. It's driving me nuts!! ](*,)
Last edited by DanRaisch on June 15th, 2020, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Reference to GoDaddy added to subject line.
DanRaisch

Re: Office 365 sending issue

Post by DanRaisch »

You say on one hand that you did NOT buy Office365 but then refer to "IMAP settings in the O365 sync mail section". So is GoDaddy providing you access to Office365 or only to Outlook email addresses? (That's not the same thing at all.)

If it's the latter, try the same IMAP server name and port number but change connection security to SSL/TLS and authentication to Normal Password. May sure you are entering the entire email address as the user name value.
For the outbound (SMTP) server, keep the server name, port number and connection security as you have it but make sure "Normal Password" is selected for authentication and again confirm that your full email address is set as the user name.
glisa

Post by glisa »

Hi Dan,

When we bought the least expensive of the three email options we got welcome emails from GoDaddy which did say Welcome to Office 365 and that we were connected with "Microsoft Office from GoDaddy." It had a link on how to migrate mails and import contacts. Another email had links on how to get started using Outlook for Windows.

We each tried downloading Outlook on our computers, but were prompted to buy O365. If I go to office.com I can sign on through Microsoft but ends up going to the GoDaddy email link in my first post in which Outlook is the email option. In those settings is where the sync mail POP/IMAP/SMTP info is greyed out. If I try dowloading O365 from the link they provide in the Dashboard, it says we don't have a license.

Hence my confusion! :|

We don't actually want O365 as we use Open Office and rarely at that. We just wanted an email with a short url domain name to eventually get rid of the AOL one. Seemed easy enough at the time!

When I set up the existing email ( businessname @ domainname.com ) in Thunderbird the wizard set this up:

IMAP:
-outlook.office365.com
-Port 993
-User name: Full email address. (Have tried just the company name or the domain name.)
-Connection security: SSL/TLS - Only other options are STARTTLS and None. (Tried those.)
-Authentication method: Normal password. (Tried all the other options, but would get an error.)

SMTP:
-smtp.office365.com
-Port 587
-Connection security: STARTTLS - Only other options are None or SSL/TLS. (Tried those.)
-Authentication method: Normal password. (Tried the other options, would get an error.)
-User name: Full email address. (Have tried just the company name or the domain name.)

I appreciate you trying to help me.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It's tough figure out what's going on there since it's under GoDaddy's control and not directly under Outlook/Hotmail or another email provider. You seem to be using the server settings as called for by GoDaddy. Since those are not working and I don't have any way to test them myself (I don't have an account with them) I can't offer much guidance on this. Perhaps someone on the forums who uses the same service will see this and post their solution. I'm updating the subject line to highlight the GoDaddy factor in this.
glisa

Re: Office 365 sending issue with GoDaddy

Post by glisa »

I found some info on messing with telnet (which I am SO NOT familiar with) but did a test on Port 587 and got this message:

"Could not open connection to the host, on port 587: Connect failed"

Doing more googling shows that GoDaddy may restrict sending through third-party apps, although in my previous searching people are able to use TB with GoDaddy. So there's gotta be a workaround somewhere!

One other thing ... when I try sending out of TB, the draft copy shows up in the Microsoft Mail client so it's going somewhere. Although, because all the mail is syncing fine with Outlook (or O365), it might just be that the syncing is working fine.

Thanks for changing the post title and I hope some GoDaddy users chime in.

Thanks for your help, Dan!

EDITED TO ADD:

Eureka! I *think* I got it!! It's different settings than what GoDaddy has for it, but it's working. I don't know if it's temporary, semi-temporary, or what, but the last few emails back and forth (all through Thunderbird with MS Mail closed) from our older email to the new one are going through. It's taking a little longer to get from the new email to the old, but that's okay.

Here's the settings:

IMAP:
outlook.office365.com
Port 993
full email address
SSL/TLS
Normal password

SMTP:
smtpout.secureserver.net
Port 587
STARTTLS
Normal password
full email address

I'll be sure to report back if things go wonky.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

https://www.godaddy.com/community/Manag ... td-p/14873
https://www.godaddy.com/help/add-my-ema ... bird-27805

https://support.postbox-inc.com/hc/en-u ... or-GoDaddy states: "GoDaddy has two email servers. One is Office 365, which is fully supported by GoDaddy. The other is legacy IMAP, which GoDaddy is no longer investing in." That seems to explain why sometimes you find secureserver.net based settings and other times office365.com based settings for GoDaddy.

You seems to be mixing the two configurations. I suggest you replace the smtp server settings with the ones for Office365 if you have problems.

"Office 365 IMAP (recommended!)

Incoming Server: outlook.office365.com
Port: 993
Connection Security: SSL/TLS
Authentication: Password
Outgoing Server: smtp.office365.com
Port: 587
Connection Security: STARTTLS
Authentication: Password"
glisa

Post by glisa »

Hi, thanks for responding. Agreed, that's the info I found which confused me - if the older one wasn't being invested into any longer why the new one (smtp.office365.com) wasn't working.

I stumbled on that second link (https://www.godaddy.com/help/add-my-ema ... bird-27805) yesterday after that latest post. Those older SMTP settings are what solved the sending problem from Thunderbird problem for me.

So, yes I'm mixing them, but it's working for now and I'm a happy camper being able to use Thunderbird alone for both business emails. =D>