Non-junk email placed into junk folder?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Flycaster

Non-junk email placed into junk folder?

Post by Flycaster »

The latest Thunderbird, IMAP, 2 accounts, all on Windows 10.
For about the last month, or so, just one of my accts has been placing email notifications about responses to questions asked on a couple of my internet forums (legit forums) into the Junk folder even though I have not blocked or made any message filters for these forums. Furthermore, although placed in Junk, these email notifications do not have the junk icon showing. I've been taking these emails and putting them back into the In folder, and then reading them. I my opinion, these emails are definitely not junk. What's happening?
Windows 11, FF Latest, Edge v94, Thunderbird Latest, Defender
DanRaisch

Re: Non-junk email placed into junk folder?

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you marking them as “Not Junk” when you find them?
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

DanRaisch wrote:Are you marking them as “Not Junk” when you find them?
No. After moving to the In box and then opening, they do not have the Not Junk icon. When opened, they are just like any other accepted email.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Marking such messages Not Junk would help to train the Junk Mail Controls to recognize such messages as acceptable to the user.

Do you have any filters running on that account?
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

DanRaisch wrote:Marking such messages Not Junk would help to train the Junk Mail Controls to recognize such messages as acceptable to the user.

Do you have any filters running on that account?
I do have filters running, but none of them have anything to do with these problem emails. Nonetheless, I will start marking as Not Junk.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Also try temporarily disabling those filters just to make sure they are not involved.
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

Have a problem marking as Not Junk. Although these emails wind up in the Junk folder, the Junk icon is not enabled. Thus, when opening in either the Junk folder, or after having replaced them into the In folder, the Not Junk field is not showing in either case. So, how do I mark as Not Junk?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

In that case you can't, and there's no need to because they are in the Junk Folder without being marked as Junk by Thunderbird.
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

DanRaisch wrote:In that case you can't, and there's no need to because they are in the Junk Folder without being marked as Junk by Thunderbird.
Yes, but why?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

As I can't review the messages or the set up of the filters it's not something I can give you an immediate answer on.
Have you tried disabling the filters, just to rule out that possibility, however unlikely?
Is that a POP or IMAP type account? If IMAP, have you checked things on the web mail page to confirm that the server is not identifying the messages as Junk?
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

IMAP acct. Will check server. However, in the meantime, I have to admit that I missed something...I can mark these errant emails as Not Junk! When they show up in the Junk folder, but without the Junk icon, I click the Junk icon, open the email and then click Not Junk. Then that email goes back into my In box. Any comment?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It indicates that the messages are not marked as Junk when they first appear in the Junk folder or you would not be able to mark them as Junk. I still don’t have any idea why they are showing up in the Junk folder unless they come from the provider that way.
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

DanRaisch wrote:It indicates that the messages are not marked as Junk when they first appear in the Junk folder or you would not be able to mark them as Junk. I still don’t have any idea why they are showing up in the Junk folder unless they come from the provider that way.
Interestingly, there are other emails that show up in my Junk folder that are junk (or at least have been marked as junk at one time,) but they do not have the Junk icon showing in the Junk pane?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No offense but have you confirmed that the column for the Junk indicator is displayed in the Junk folder?
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

DanRaisch wrote:No offense but have you confirmed that the column for the Junk indicator is displayed in the Junk folder?
No offense, of course. The Junk icon column is displayed in both In and Junk panes. Interestingly, and this may help, in today's junk list mail, most did not have the junk icon, but did have the green dot. Those that has the junk icon, did not have the green dot?

Also went to my email server and looked at what was there. No way to tell if anything was being marked as junk... In, Spam (empty), and Trash boxes.