2.53 memory leaks

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Frank Lion

Re: 2.53 memory leaks

Post by Frank Lion »

smhardesty wrote:And according to at least one reply, I should find the "Restart button" and learn how to use it. After all, he says, that's why GOD made it and I should learn to use it and "move on to something more meaningful in life".

Well, to Mr Frank Lion, that's about as piss poor a com
Yep, when I wrote that, 2 months ago now, I mentioned God there so that even the feeble-minded would know that I was not being serious.
smhardesty wrote:I regularly open from 10 to 20 tabs on my browser
Just like most people, including myself, then.

Ever thought of using the Restart button?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

The memory accumulation problem only became evident to me fairly recently with system slow downs. This memory problem does not reflect well on how fine SeaMonkey has always been and could be a deterrent to SeaMonkey's future.

Hopefully it is being worked on so SeaMonkey can maintain its great track record.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
smhardesty

Post by smhardesty »

I added the about:memory page to my Bookmarks bar as well. Using this option frees up way more memory than simply using the "Clear Private Data" option. In addition, the first two times I have tried simply doing a Restart of the browser, I still had more memory in use than should be. But when I elected to use the about:memory option and then did a restart on SM, I had considerably less memory used. So yeah, this will work, but it still seems like there is a major bug with SM 2.53.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I put it on my task tray at the top of my page so it is immediately available. And it loads super fast.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote:This memory problem does not reflect well on how fine SeaMonkey has always been and could be a deterrent to SeaMonkey's future
Hardly.

How many people have been complaining about this in the 3 months this thread has been hanging around? 3? 4? and that's despite you bumping the thread for the last 2 months to keep it near the top of the threads list.

I'm not saying those 3 or 4 don't have a problem, but to extrapolate that to 'a deterrent to SeaMonkey's future' is the sort of exaggeration where words cease to have any meaning.

People wanted a modern browser that can cope with modern websites. You've now got it, if you don't like it then go back to using SM 2.49.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Frank, my assumption all along has been that this problem is pervasive to most everyone. I hope I'm wrong for the well-being of SeaMonkey.

I only go to a few sites and none of them create special processing needs. I eliminated the one or two sites that could have been a problem.

[EDITED TO ADD] I visited only a few sites and my SM memory usage jumped to 1,300MB. After about:memory application, it was reduced to ~600MB.

How can you explain why it might be a problem for just a few people? What can you suggest as a remedy for the folks who experience the problem?

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
therube

Post by therube »

And I have 25 windows open & 100's (1,000's ?) of tabs (not all loaded) & I am using "only" 1 GB RAM - all without issue.
And my statement is just about as meaningful as yours.
I have no intention of pursuing about:memory because in my experience it accomplishes nothing.

Not all websites work well in all browsers.
The sites I am dealing with currently, do work well in SeaMonkey.
On particular sites, I can quickly get to a point where SeaMonkey simply does not work well. At that point, I can either restart SeaMonkey, or find some alternative (for the particular sites).

(When all the tabs were loaded, I was using 3.5 GB or RAM.
[Actually they weren't all fully loaded at that, because I had NoScript installed, & that was blocking content that would have otherwise loaded.]

This evening, I started my Profile over, "fresh". Well it started fresh ;-).
Added back my extensions. Set particular settings I set [either prefs.js &/or user.js].
[I did all the above, first,] then only copied over places.sqlite, then urlbarhistory.sqlite, & then sessionstore.json.
At first, thought I'd also want cookies & my web site sizings & whatnot. But then I figured, I wasn't sure what was in some of the files; kinto & content-prefs & /storage/, so I figured, I'd just skip all that & just deal with things on a case by case basis as they arise.
With that, RAM usage remained the same, but startup time was greatly decreased.
I suppose, that over time, as "crud" accumulates, browser startup time will slowly increase due to the accumulated crud.
And at some point, I'll be back to where I was before doing this. And that point wasn't particularly "bad" in any case.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I always open new windows and never open new tabs. I have wondered if this strategy is perhaps unique to me. Otherwise, I assume I am a mainstream (lightweight) user with rarely more than 2 or 3 windows open for a short interval.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

therube wrote:And I have 25 windows open & 100's (1,000's ?) of tabs (not all loaded) & I am using "only" 1 GB RAM - all without issue.
And my statement is just about as meaningful as yours.
I have no intention of pursuing about:memory because in my experience it accomplishes nothing.

Not all websites work well in all browsers.
The sites I am dealing with currently, do work well in SeaMonkey.
On particular sites, I can quickly get to a point where SeaMonkey simply does not work well. At that point, I can either restart SeaMonkey, or find some alternative (for the particular sites).

(When all the tabs were loaded, I was using 3.5 GB or RAM.
[Actually they weren't all fully loaded at that, because I had NoScript installed, & that was blocking content that would have otherwise loaded.]

This evening, I started my Profile over, "fresh". Well it started fresh ;-).
Added back my extensions. Set particular settings I set [either prefs.js &/or user.js].
[I did all the above, first,] then only copied over places.sqlite, then urlbarhistory.sqlite, & then sessionstore.json.
At first, thought I'd also want cookies & my web site sizings & whatnot. But then I figured, I wasn't sure what was in some of the files; kinto & content-prefs & /storage/, so I figured, I'd just skip all that & just deal with things on a case by case basis as they arise.
With that, RAM usage remained the same, but startup time was greatly decreased.
I suppose, that over time, as "crud" accumulates, browser startup time will slowly increase due to the accumulated crud.
And at some point, I'll be back to where I was before doing this. And that point wasn't particularly "bad" in any case.)
therube,

Having added the about:memory bookmark, for some time now I have been monitoring SM usage... with no tabs open, SM on my system take around 1/2 a gig, after running about:memory and clearing, I regain about 100 megs so current memory usage is 407 megs.

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

There must be something to it as I experience crashes with SM 2.53.x, things that almost never happened with SM 2.49.x. Now I use SM primarily for mail so there's no real browsing going on most of the time and still about once or twice a week I get a crash when using the Mail component at random activities. This started after upgrading to 2.53 from 2.49.x. This isn't so frequent as to be problematic but statistically now SM crashes for me much more often than SM 2.49 and earlier years ago when I still used it for both browsing and mail. I know this a pretty vague description of the problem but from my experience something has changed in 2.53 with respect to memory handling.
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Lemon Juice wrote: I know this a pretty vague description of the problem but from my experience something has changed in 2.53 with respect to memory handling.
The only thing you know from your experience is that you've had more SM crashes in the last year, compared with the previous year.

It is just your opinion that those crashes are caused by a different version of SM and it's really pushing it to assume that a crash equals poor memory handling.

Anyway, instead of this anecdotal 'hard to refute because of deliberately giving no damn details' stuff, how about links to some crash reports?

Incidentally, problems get solved here (isn't this why people post about problems in Support?) by doing it the right way - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14867877
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Lemon Juice wrote:There must be something to it as I experience crashes with SM 2.53.x, things that almost never happened with SM 2.49.x.
I had similar case but it was outdated extension:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14858704

Extension was working except one function (which was not most important). Unfortunately, there was DLL file that caused crash.

Check your extensions, plugins, themes. Maybe one of them is too old for latest SeaMonkey.
--
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

TPR75 wrote:
Lemon Juice wrote:There must be something to it as I experience crashes with SM 2.53.x, things that almost never happened with SM 2.49.x.
I had similar case but it was outdated extension:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14858704
Thanks, indeed I had MinimizeToTray revived 1.3.2 installed and the crashes appear to be caused by that - my crash reports (like this) also complain about tray_x86_64-msvc.dll. I've installed now the older version and will monitor the effect. Unfortunately, I'm not able to reproduce the crash, it just happens randomly and rarely so I'll just have to wait and see. Did you experience the crashes when you did something specific or were they also random?
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Lemon Juice wrote:Thanks, indeed I had MinimizeToTray revived 1.3.2 installed and the crashes appear to be caused by that - my crash reports (like this) also complain about tray_x86_64-msvc.dll. I've installed now the older version and will monitor the effect.
Older version contains exactly the same DLL file. Sorry, but it will crash. I tested it too... :(
--
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

For the record, the memory accumulation occurs in SM 2.53.3 just as in the prior version. Fortunately, the <about:memory> capability is handy.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete