Problem with the trash folder

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
user2018

Problem with the trash folder

Post by user2018 »

In the unified view, my root trash folder is not showing the messages in its subfolders (i.e., the trash folders of the individual email accounts). When I right-click and see the properties, there is a location assigned ("mailbox:///Users/.../Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/.../Mail/smart mailboxes/Trash/"). I compare this with my "Sent" folder, which correctly shows the messages in the included subfolders, and there are important differences: in the properties of the "Sent" folder I can select the folders to search and configure the search criteria (which I cannot do for the trash folder).

So, I think that there is something wrong with the "Trash folder". I tried deleting the contents of .../Mail/smart mailboxes/... but with no changes observed. Also, ticking or unticking the "Search online" checkbox does not seem to have an impact either.

Any idea is very much appreciated.
DanRaisch

Re: Problem with the trash folder

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP?
In Thunderbird the menu path is Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
user2018

Post by user2018 »

All my accounts are accessed through IMAP.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

In All Folders view, right click on the name of each Trash folder in your various accounts and select "Properties" from the context menu. Then click on "Repair Folder" in the dialogue box that appears. Close and restart Thunderbird and return to Unified Folders view and see if things are working.
user2018

Post by user2018 »

I tried this, but there is no change in the behavior. It seems like the individual trash folders are all OK, but the unified view still does not show the messages in the trash subfolders. I also tried repairing the "root" trash folder in the unified view, but there is no change either.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Unified view also depends upon the "saved search" feature working. Try deleting the virtualfolders.dat file in the profile.

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unified_Folders_not_working

I assume "when I delete a folder" in each accounts server settings is still configured to move a message to the trash folder. If its set to "just mark it as deleted" instead for example, there is no reason for trash folders to be listed in the Unified View.
user2018

Post by user2018 »

Yes, the option "when I delete a folder" in each accounts server settings is configured to move a message to the trash folder (not just mark it as deleted).

I deleted the virtualfolders.dat file, as suggested, but there is no change either. It is strange, as I think that the unified folder view is working well in general; it is just the "Trash" folder the one that seems to exhibit a different (unexpected behavior). For example, the "Inbox" unified view works well, also the "Sent" unified view.

When I right click on the unified view of "Trash" and see the properties there is an attribute "Location" with value "mailbox:///Users...". This does not happen with the other unified view folders; for example if I right click on the unified view of "Inbox" and see the properties what I see is "Select the folders to search...". Is this difference normal/expected? Could this be the cause of the strange behavior with the unified trash folder?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Does the trash folder have a generic folder icon or one that looks like a trash can?

If you temporarily switch to view -> folders -> all does the trash folder have the right contents?
user2018

Post by user2018 »

I has a trash can icon associated.

If I switch to view -> folders -> all the trash folder shave the right contents. However, I can also see the individual trash contents with the unified view. I have:
Trash
-Trash account 1.
-Trash account 2.
If I click on the trash icon of "Trash account 1" or "Trash account 2" I can see the files in the trash of those accounts. The problem is that if I click on the root/global "Trash" icon then I do not see the files of the included trash folders.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I can't reproduce the problem using 68.9.0 under Windows 10, so I suspect its either not a new bug, or its OSX specific.

Try using safe mode (help -> restart with add-ons disabled) to rule out any chance of it being a side effect of an add-on.
user2018

Post by user2018 »

No luck either, even in safe mode with no add-ons... I am on MacOS with Thunderbird version 68.9.0 (64-bit).