How to install an older version of Thunderbird ?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
OldGrantonian

How to install an older version of Thunderbird ?

Post by OldGrantonian »

I want to install an older version of Thunderbird.

So I uninstall whatever version I have. Then I double-click on the older installation file from a folder of old files.

I've repeated this several times, but the problem is that TB immediately starts to download the updates for this older installation :(

My normal setting for updates would be :

- Check for updates, but let me choose whether to install them.

For me, that setting has worked fine for several years. But recently - maybe for one update in five - that setting is not respected, and any updates are installed automatically. That means I'm back to where I started. (There's no Cancel button on the update dialog.)

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks.
BuddhaNature

Re: How to install an older version of Thunderbird ?

Post by BuddhaNature »

If it was me I would try the following:

1) Physically disconnect the computer from being able to connect to the internet -- just pull out the Ethernet plug.
2) Install the old Thunderbird.
3) Once installed, go into the settings and deal with setting the updates to your preferred setting. Then close Thunderbird down.
4) Reconnect your computer to the internet -- put the plug back in again.
5) Launch Thunderbird and see if all goes well.

Don't know if that will work, but it is what I would try.

P.S. As far as I am aware Thunderbird is based on Mozilla Firefox. Recently, for Firefox, I've had the Update setting altered on my machine during install of a new Firefox version so that automatic updates are enabled. There seems no way of getting around this except, after every manual install of a new version of Firefox, I immediately go and check what the Update setting is set at. I do wish Mozilla wouldn't alter the Update setting at all; there seems no rhyme or reason to when they will/won't do that.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Which "older version" are you installing?
See if this article is helpful -- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/wh ... ce-service
OldGrantonian

Post by OldGrantonian »

BuddhaNature wrote: ...Physically disconnect the computer from being able to connect to the internet -- just pull out the Ethernet plug.
@BuddhaNature, thanks for your response.

That's exactly the type of hack that I used to do when I was younger. I forgot all about it.

However, I'll wait to see what @DanRaisch says before trying yet another attempt.

Thanks.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

I'd wait on Dan too, he's one of the real experts around here. He did, though, ask you for further information: What is the version number of the old Thunderbird you are trying to install?
OldGrantonian

Post by OldGrantonian »

DanRaisch wrote:Which "older version" are you installing?
DanRaisch wrote: See if this article is helpful -- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/wh ... ce-service
That link recommends:

- Uncheck the box next to Use a background service to install updates.

That box was already unchecked. So, by inference, the Mozilla Maintenance Service was not being used.

In fact, I don't recall ever seeing that box checked by default.

Anyway, thanks for response.

I'll go ahead now and try @BuddhaNature suggestion.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You might also look to see if the the Mozilla Maintenance Service .exe file is present on the system and deleting it if it is.
OldGrantonian

Post by OldGrantonian »

OldGrantonian wrote: I'll go ahead now and try @BuddhaNature suggestion.
The procedure in the @BuddhaNature post is working fine so far.

I performed the re-installation a couple of hours ago. I'm still waiting for my screen to melt under the expected DOS update reminders from Mozilla. But there hasn't been a single reminder so far.

Thanks for all the help.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Glad it seems to be working.

However, to be on the safe side, I would follow Dan's advice and look in Windows Add/Remove Programs (aka: Programs and Features) and see if the Mozilla Maintenance Service is installed. If it is, uninstall it. (If you also use Firefox then this will affect the automatic updating of your Firefox, but you will still be able to update manually so no sweat. Just when you manually update Firefox be sure to select the Custom Install option and decline to install the Mozilla Maintenance Service when you get that option.)
OldGrantonian

Post by OldGrantonian »

DanRaisch wrote:You might also look to see if the the Mozilla Maintenance Service .exe file is present on the system and deleting it if it is.
I did that as soon as I read your post.

BTW: I think the update dialog actually has a checkbox with text similar to "Do you want to install Moz Maint Service?"

By default, the box is unchecked.

BTW2: I might grumble and girn about TB occasionally, but for me it's the best email client.

BTW3: People might be wondering what's so special about TB version 60.9.1 - and were too polite to ask. It's the latest possible version that still supports the "Expression Search add-in", with regex support:

https://cdn.rawgit.com/wangvisual/expre ... /help.html

Thanks.