User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ACDC

Delayed sending of messages

Post by ACDC »

Hello everybody,
my setup:
Thunderbird 68.9.0 (64-bit)
Windows 10

How can I get all messages to be sent 5 minutes delayed, but immediately sent, when I press Retrieve / Send and when I close Thunderbird? (So basically the standard behavior of Microsoft Mail clients starting from Outlook Express upwards)

I tried the "Send Later" addon with the following settings:

That works, but I don't manage to force it to send before the time expires, or even when Thunderbird closes.
Best regards
ACDC
tanstaafl

Re: Delayed sending of messages

Post by tanstaafl »

I don't remember Thunderbird having a retrieve/send button. Its model for how messages are fetched/sent is different - fetching and sending messages are meant to occur independently. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/se ... hunderbird

The add-on queues the message in the outbox folder in Local Folders. I think you're asking for a way to call "file -> send unsent messages" as a side effect of exiting Thunderbird. You could use a free utility like AutoIt or AutoHotkey to create a keyboard macro that issues "file -> send unsent messages" and then "file -> exit". Rather than clicking on the 'X' widget in the upper right corner of the main window to exit Thunderbird you'd press the keyboard macro sequence (once).

https://alternativeto.net/software/autoit/

I'm a little confused exactly what you want to do as you have contradictory statements ("when I press Retrieve / Send and when I close Thunderbird?" vs "don't manage to force it to send before the time expires, or even when Thunderbird closes")
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

Hi,
Thank you.
OK, I think I need to explain what I want a bit more detailed:
I want exactly the same behavior what other mail clients do as standard, starting from all Microsoft mail clients from Outlook Express and up and all other mail clients I know (if this feature is set in the options). That is:
- Sending ALL e-mails x minutes delayed automatically (5 minutes in my case) after the "send" button has been clicked
- If "send/receive" is pressed, all e-mails will be sent, no matter if the 5 minutes are over or not
- If the mail client window gets closed, all e-mails will be sent, no matter if the 5 minutes are over or not
So nothing special - just the standard.
How can I do this?
Best regards
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

What is "standard" depends a lot upon what you've been exposed to. I've used over a dozen non-Microsoft email clients for a non-trivial amount of time (not counting several email clients under Linux) and what you describe is fairly Microsoft-centric behavior.

What I suggested before (use Send Later plus a keyboard macro) is probably the best approximation available unless somebody writes an add-on that does what you want. If somebody updates/ports the add-on to create custom buttons than you can use it to add a send/receive button that calls "file -> send unsent messages" and maybe also calls file -> get new messages for -> all accounts.
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

Thank you very much,
I will try to find out how to do that and report here.
Best regards