Remote settings question?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Grumpus

Remote settings question?

Post by Grumpus »

When Firefox starts up are settings, normally user privilege,
coming from Mozilla or one of their servers which supersede the local/user settings and control?
Asked due to the number of Amazon servers dedicated to Mozilla which appear at startup if on-line.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
tanstaafl

Re: Remote settings question?

Post by tanstaafl »

Since you're asking about the impact of Amazon servers I assume you're not using Amazon WorkSpaces to provision a desktop. AWS is a legitimate cloud hosting server that has been used by Firefox. They have also used Amazon's cloudfront as a CDN.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1205910

My knowledge is out of date but I don't see any reason why you should assume that the connections to those servers implies you've lost control of your settings.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@tanstaafl - Thanks and No on the Amazon WorkSpaces. The answers on that link were more a re-iteration of what you posted.
It just seems there's a great many which, identified as aws shouldn't need to access as much when opening
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
gdot179

Post by gdot179 »

I know you know how many zillion links are in about:config so why are you surprised?

When I start FF, there is zero activity as noted by wireshark.

Gee, maybe it's because I removed every link without exception.

And yet here I am and there I am without a problem.

There are a ton of sites, services, corporations, etc. that use aws.

I would be surprised not to see aws in no-script as I flit about.
A proud user of Mozilla Python's Flying Circus software!
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@mighty - Linking to a locked post is a pain.

@gdot179 - not all urls in about:config are up to no good.
The ones I'm concerned with are the advertising ones and the bogus servers which aren't in about:config but show up when Firefox opens.
It would be nice to know what business it is instead of the usual - .xxxx- us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com anonymous cover, same for some of the Google ones.
In some cases it will show some realestate company or darn near anything else, this when not visiting a site, sometimes they just show up
in the traffic monitor and sometimes they repeat so many times if they weren't blocked it could be considered a D.o.S.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Grumpus wrote:@mighty - Linking to a locked post is a pain.
But it isn't locked....Should be but.....
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14867684
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
gdot179

Post by gdot179 »

@Grumpus

I have FF structured as strictly a browser. I require no other functions. I download anything everyday with wget, not FF.

I have removed/disabled all Mozilla "we'll save you from the bad internet world" and "heres what fuctions WE think you will just love/must have". Goodbye to all your internet traffic on startup.

My FF comes up and shuts down instantly, as fast as you can hit the keys, repeatedly.

I use NoScript exclusively to block what I don't want on FF and it does what I require down to the finest degree.

I do all of my financial world on the internet without a problem. One time trial and error for what they require and that does not mean opening up FF to dozens of superfluous links.

The more Mozilla screws around with FF, the more I 'adjust'.

Same reasons I have only Linux systems and no Windows.

Lots more but are you gettin' it?

PS

Before mightyglydd becomes apoplectic...
A proud user of Mozilla Python's Flying Circus software!
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@mighty - requires name and password, why if already here and logged in?

@gdot179 - some of what you have done is similar to my systems, also only Linux.