How to TURN OFF sound for incoming TRASH

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
rodhudson

How to TURN OFF sound for incoming TRASH

Post by rodhudson »

Hi. I have made a filter which does cover a lot of the SCAM inputs that we all seem to get so many of now.
But I can't see how to stop getting the audible 'NEW MESSAGE' sound when they arrive.

Alternatively, is there a different way to handle it other than to route to TRASH ?

Thanks.
DanRaisch

Re: How to TURN OFF sound for incoming TRASH

Post by DanRaisch »

Is that a POP or IMAP account? If it's SPAM coming into the Inbox before being moved by a filter, the alter is for the new message in the Inbox, not specifically for the SPAM message. (Note that Thunderbird doesn't use the term SPAM in any way.)

That said, you might try something like https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... rt/?src=ss to see if that would be helpful.
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

IT is a POP account.
The 'SPAM' was just my word !

The Filter takes anything for that account that isn't from anyone in my Address Book and sends it to TRASH.
Which works OK, except I still get the Incoming Notification, which I obviously don't want for a TRASH entry.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you getting two notifications? If it’s just one, that’s the notification for the message coming into the Inbox and it has nothing to do with the action of the filter because at that point the message is not yet Trash.
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

Just the one sound. But the FILTER is set to MOVE THE MESSAGE to TRASH.
Would I still get the sound if I set it to DELETE MESSAGE ?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Yes. Again, “that’s the notification for the message coming into the Inbox” before any filter action.
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

So are you telling me that there is absolutely NOTHING I can do about the HUNDREDS of SPAM, TRASH, JUNK, and Totally unsolicited Ad emails that I get daily ?

Never mind just the 'Sound', where I started this. How can I stop them ALTOGETHER ?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That's a totally different question but the answer would be along the same lines. Thunderbird can't do anything about spam, trash, junk, or ads until they are received. It can't test messages on the server (before they are downloaded to Thunderbird) to determine their status.
Depending on who your email provider is, you may be able to set up filters on the server side (using a browser to access the account) so the objectionable messages are deleted or moved to some folder other than the server inbox before Thunderbird accesses them for download to your POP account.
Also see this article for other information -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Junk_Mail_Controls
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Is this a situation where Mailwasher Pro could be helpful, I wonder?

(NB: I have no affiliation to either MWP or Firetrust. I just use their program.)
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)