Pin Tab & Other Tips.

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
davidb_sk

Re: Pin Tab

Post by davidb_sk »

Thanks for posting these code snippets, Frank! I'm finding them very helpful.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

davidb_sk wrote:Thanks for posting these code snippets, Frank!
No problem. Glad they are useful to you.

I suppose I should be used to it by now, but it'll still surprises me just how much a few lines of .css can do. :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Frank Lion wrote:
davidb_sk wrote:Thanks for posting these code snippets, Frank!
No problem. Glad they are useful to you.

I suppose I should be used to it by now, but it'll still surprises me just how much a few lines of .css can do. :)
Frank,

I concur... the pinned tab snippet is essential now in my setup.

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ndebord wrote:I concur... the pinned tab snippet is essential now in my setup.
Good. :)

Ages back, I did a snippet for more than one 'pinned' tab. There's no such thing as 'second tab', so I did it like this -

Code: Select all

/*Franks About Profiles pinned tab....*/
tab[label="About Profiles"] .tab-close-button, tab[first-tab="true"] .tab-text{
	display:none !important;
}
tab[label="About Profiles"]{
	min-width: 0px !important;
	max-width: 10px !important;} 
You just pick your desired tab, hover over the tab and copy the exact label and use that instead of mine above.

Btw if the label includes a 'pipe' (many do) then UK keyboards do that as 2 vertical lines, not 1. So, you just search for keyboard pipe, find a single vert. line, copy that and use that instead.

In theory, you could have 100's of pseudo pinned tabs by using the method above.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
davidb_sk

Post by davidb_sk »

Frank Lion wrote:

/* Franks Zebra trees....*/
treechildren::-moz-tree-row(odd) {
	background: linear-gradient(to bottom, rgba(0,0,0,0.15) 0%,rgba(0,0,0,0.1) 100%)!important;
}
Frank, would you mind explaining a bit more about this snipet and note which settings influence what SeaMonkey displays? I tried using it as is, but for some reason it isn't having any affect on my instance of SeaMonkey (2.53.3). I'm using the Modern theme, so I'm assuming that it's just a combination of color selections that isn't providing enough contrast to get the zebra effect.
My current rig: Acer Aspire One D257, ALT Linux (Sisyphus x86_64), Window Maker (0.96.0), SeaMonkey (2.53.18.1)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

davidb_sk wrote:Frank, would you mind explaining a bit more about this snipet and note which settings influence what SeaMonkey displays?
Sure, a tree is a special type of list. You see them in the Thread Pane and Message Pane of the SM Email client, (Email is where the use of zebra striping first came from) the sidebar and search suggestion list and the Library of the browser. treechildren are just the individual entries on a tree.

What a tree is not is stuff like menu dropdowns, etc.

So, above, I'm saying give each odd (as in, odd/even) individual entry a very slight dark gradient background. Here, I'm using rgba for this - red, green, blue and alpha (transparency). 0,0,0, is black and you can see that 0.1 alpha is very close to 0, which is totally transparent.

Let's see the same code using red (or 255,0,0 in rgb and #FF0000 in hex) for the stripes -

/*Zebra trees....*/
treechildren::-moz-tree-row(odd) {
	background: red /*linear-gradient(to bottom, rgba(0,0,0,0.15) 0%,rgba(0,0,0,0.1) 100%)*/!important;
}  
...easier to see and it's how we often code up stuff initially to make sure the code is hitting the exact required internal id's or class, etc AND no others...without peering at faint colours.

Same idea goes for margins and paddings, where initially I code in a good ol' 20px margin, until I'm sure I'm hitting the right spot and then it gets refined down to the final 1 or 2px required.

Hope that helps.

Frank
davidb_sk

Post by davidb_sk »

Thanks, Frank! That all makes sense.

The strange part is, I just couldn't get the striping to show up, no matter what I tried in the colour values. But then, for some reason, I thought of putting the zebra snipet ahead of the pinned tab snipet and then it worked. Strange that SeaMonkey would not display the striping with the snipets the other way around.
My current rig: Acer Aspire One D257, ALT Linux (Sisyphus x86_64), Window Maker (0.96.0), SeaMonkey (2.53.18.1)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

davidb_sk wrote:The strange part is...
Check your pinned tab snippet has its trailing brace } at the end of the code. Without it, the pinned tab coding will work OK, but any subsequent coding is wrecked.

Syntax is extremely important with .css.
davidb_sk

Post by davidb_sk »

That must have been it. The trailing brace was there, just not on the line below, all by itself, which it is now.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

User accidentally blocking images comes up from time to time - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14869135

If you ever need to block images (relic of slow internet days) then I suggest Tools > Image Manager (I use a bookmarklet for this that only last for that visit)

As for that right click context menu entry? userChrome.css, below the namespace line and....

/*Franks Hide Block Images in Context Menu...*/
#context-blockimage {
	display: none !important;
	visibility: collapse !important;} 
...and you'll never accidentally hit it ever again, mainly because it has gone.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

The userContent.css 'theme' I use for the YouTube site is mainly black with gold text. That's fine until I log in and I get a very, very white page gleaming out at me. This corrects that -

/*Franks Darken YT Acct login Page....code goes in userContent.css....*/

@-moz-document domain("accounts.google.com") {
body {
	background-color: #71968E !important;
}}	
Points to note - notice how I'm singling out just one page to style - not every site on the Net. You can do the same for other single sites, if you want.

The colour can be anything you want and do NOTE how I'm doing those final trailing braces here, i.e. }} ...world of pain if you miss out one. Quick rule - number of forward braces must match number of trailing braces.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

* TOP TIP *

Here's a top of the tree top tip that'll save you a lot of time.

Every so often, you will come across a website where you log in and SeaMonkey doesn't offer to remember/save the username and password. Don't assume it's a SM problem and spend ages trying to diagnose this. The website is preventing SM remembering these details by design.

Solution
: Turn off JavaScript (either with a JS Toggle button extension, uBlock Origin or even via Edit> Preferences) and then log in and you will then be offered the 'Remember Password' option by SM. Click 'Save' on that option and you're, almost, done.

The 'almost' bit is that you'll very often need to re-enable JS to regain functionality on that website...but, your username/password will have already been saved and you'll never have to do this again.

Good, eh?
davidb_sk

Post by davidb_sk »

Frank Lion wrote:* TOP TIP *

Here's a top of the tree top tip that'll save you a lot of time.

Every so often, you will come across a website where you log in and SeaMonkey doesn't offer to remember/save the username and password. Don't assume it's a SM problem and spend ages trying to diagnose this. The website is preventing SM remembering these details by design.

Solution
: Turn off JavaScript (either with a JS Toggle button extension, uBlock Origin or even via Edit> Preferences) and then log in and you will then be offered the 'Remember Password' option by SM. Click 'Save' on that option and you're, almost, done.

The 'almost' bit is that you'll very often need to re-enable JS to regain functionality on that website...but, your username/password will have already been saved and you'll never have to do this again.

Good, eh?
I have come across this a few times. Thanks for the tip!
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

An about:config entry this time - layout.css.devPixelsPerPx

Right click and select Modify and change the default value to 2. When you're finished just select Reset.

That's an entry I use to simulate HiDPI. As you'll see, normal pngs and jpgs look pretty fuzzy like that, which is why many these days use SVG images (those horrible simplistic outline things) which will resize to the larger size required.

Lot of work making SVGs and replacing the previous set. - I don't bother, I just use advanced .css coding to make the existing png images much sharper.

Anyway, that's what that setting does.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Frank Lion wrote:Here's a simple code snippet for bookmarks on the toolbars that have no icon/favicon, especially all bookmarklets.
Bookmarklets will have a generic icon if the theme you use has the file defaultFavicon.svg in mozapps/places.