Upgrade to 78 caused gray folder icons

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
post2forum

Upgrade to 78 caused gray folder icons

Post by post2forum »

Since upgrading to Thunderbird 78 a few days ago (from the previous major ESR version) my icons are now gray and I really don't like the look. I found a number of Firefox posts on this issue from years ago, but I wonder if anyone else who has upgraded Thunderbird recently dislikes how all the icons are grayscale now instead of colored, and if there's a way to fix it.
tanstaafl

Re: Upgrade to 78 caused gray folder icons

Post by tanstaafl »

Read the release notes or https://blog.thunderbird.net/2020/07/wh ... erbird-78/

"Folder icons have been replaced and modernized with a new vector style. This will ensure better compatibility with HiDPI monitors and dark mode. Vector icons also means you will be able to customize their default colors to better distinguish and categorize your folders list."

I don't like the change since it only lets you change the color of the outline of the icon, not the entire icon. You need to right click on the folder and select properties to change the color.
post2forum

Post by post2forum »

Ok thank you for that information. I agree it would be better to change more than just the outline.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

If you are still looking for a fix for this issue then a solution is in this thread here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... p=14873377

Well at least the solution lets you get back to the old style folder icons again.
post2forum

Post by post2forum »

Thanks, that works as a fix!