Require very technical help if willing

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
bob c

Require very technical help if willing

Post by bob c »

https://shop.birchwoodcasey.com/login.p ... 098a628e13

This link is to the Company "Birchwood Casey", they make several things, some of which are for shooting ranges. The link, (I am in a dispute with them about FF and the non-functioning page of this link), which is a reset password link. I have a order with them, but their system tells me my account password is no good, even though they have my order OK, account OK, but just can't get into it because of them saying password is no good. So they send this link, and when I enter a new password in the box, and the new password in the reconfirm box, (I'm sure everybody has seen these), when I hit the enter box, their web page does not respond at all. Tried several times, several different new passwords, their web page just freezes.

Could somebody, possibly, (I know what I'm asking), use the web dev tool to just look at the page, and possibly tell me it's not FF, and it is their stupid web page, that won't run after hitting enter to change and reset the password.

Have tried this in safe mode, and in SeaMonkey, with the same results, their page just freezes.
Grumpus

Re: Require very technical help if willing

Post by Grumpus »

Maybe not so technical, the phone number should get you a person instead of some thoughtless and brain-dead robot.
Mailing address
GSM OUTDOORS
PO Box 535189
Grand Prairie, TX 75053

Technical Product Assistance
Toll-Free: 877-269-8490

Order Assistance or Order Inquiries
Toll-Free: 877-269-8490
Questions: If you have a question about a product or wish to receive a 2019 Product Catalog, please email [email protected] or call 877-269-8490.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

There is a float containment problem that causes the footer to overlay the lower part of the form. Since the footer is later in the document, it blocks clicking through to the red button.

If you

* right-click the text just above the form, "Passwords must be..."
* click Inspect Element (Q) and Firefox should open the Page Inspector in the lower part of the tab with <p></p> selected
* click the next element down, the form element
* on the right side, look at the Rules panel and find float:right
* uncheck that box to stop the footer from overlaying the form

then you can click the red button.

Now... some people would argue that Firefox should work around this problem automatically in one of the following ways:

* Determine that the developer didn't mean the form to overlap two different containers and automatically clear the footer
* Allow users to click through transparent barriers

But that isn't how it works today.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Oops, I pressed Enter and changed your password. You probably need to reset that again or check your messages.
bob c

Post by bob c »

jscher2000 wrote:Oops, I pressed Enter and changed your password. You probably need to reset that again or check your messages.
thank you, that did the trick. I did reset the password, I wasn't really worried about the account, somebody would have had to have my user login to get in, but you did what I wanted, to just try the enter button, to show that it would not allow it to be entered. Removing the check mark, allow the reset. I absolutely hate it when talking to some employee (who doesn't know squat about computers), is trying to tell me it's my system that won't let me log in. Thanks again. Funny--this morning they're completely offline, after I got the reset, and look at my order in my account. Go figure.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

bob c wrote:Have tried this in safe mode, and in SeaMonkey, with the same results, their page just freezes.
The page doesn't actually freeze, just that the bottom part isn't responsive. This isn't me being picky, you have to know the difference to make progress.

For example, if I didn't have time to delay, then clicking the top part of the page tells me that it's only the bottom part that doesn't do anything. In turn, that tells me that this is probably a page layout problem.

So, emergency fix - I'd go into View>Use Style and select 'None'. Not pretty, but the page now works and I'd do my stuff and be on my way in no time.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)