How to Copy Firefox to a New Computer

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Ryosagi

How to Copy Firefox to a New Computer

Post by Ryosagi »

Getting a new computer after having an old Windows XP. Going from the around the last update for XP, do I just copy all firefox files to a USB drive? Or do I need to do something else?
DanRaisch

Re: How to Copy Firefox to a New Computer

Post by DanRaisch »

josegotme

Post by josegotme »

Use Heksasoft .92. It worked fine on my computer. https://www.hekasoft.com/hekasoft-backup-restore/
Backup profile on old computer, using Hekasoft, and restore on new computer using the same. After installing FF on the new computer, and before opening the newly installed FF on the new machine, install the old profile Then open FF. It worked fine for me. Hekasoft is easy to use, just run it and you will see. I use it to backup profiles on my three computers. It gets updated and is better than the old Mozbackup which may not be reliable.
Ryosagi

Post by Ryosagi »

Thanks all for the advice. I managed to do it and everything looked alright. The only things that didn't do well to transfer was the passwords and alot of extensions missing. I was from aa very old computer and the like, so maybe that's why. Alot of the bookmarks made it okay.
Tushman

Post by Tushman »

Ryosagi wrote:The only things that didn't do well to transfer was the passwords and alot of extensions missing. I was from aa very old computer and the like, so maybe that's why.
To transfer your login information from the old PC to the new PC, you need to copy over the following 2 files:
1) Key4.db
2) Logins.json

If you were running a very old version of Firefox before Quantum Firefox was released, (and I'm guessing you did since you were running WinXP), you will more than likely see the following 2 files on the old PC:
1) Key3.db
2) Logins.json

Quantum Firefox does not understand Key3.db, so you need to "convert" that over to Key4.db. And since you didn't tell us what specific version of Firefox was installed on the old computer running XP, none of this may apply to you.
Ryosagi

Post by Ryosagi »

It was Firefox 52 version, so it may very well not make that cut. Thanks for that tidbit! After I had looked over the passwords some did make the transition though, so not too bad.

As for the extensions, I wasn't aware that there was a purge from Firefox to get rid of those older versions. So that's why I had to track them down again.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Firefox can automatically fallback to logins.json and a compatible key3.db file if you make sure to remove an existing key4.db file.