Radar map no longer loads . . .

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Bruce L.

Radar map no longer loads . . .

Post by Bruce L. »

Hi: I've been using this radar for a couple of years, among others: Weather.com.

Since last week the page still loads fine, but the radar graphics are blank. It works fine on my iPhone so I'm assuming it's something on FF. I've not changed any settings and just double-checked to make sure my Enhanced Tracking Protection is off, as is ABP ad blocking, and I cleared all cookies.

The FF ad blocking settings are confusing to use, to put it mildly, so maybe the problem is with a setting there. :?:

Another question, although nothing to do with FF, but maybe some of you gurus can answer it: When looking at any radar online with my laptop it loads ridiculously slow. Some sites are worse than others (the above link is the worst). I can watch hi-res Youtube videos no problem, but waiting for radar to finish loading is like being on dial-up.

It's mostly on my laptop which is less than a year old, specs below, running W10. I have a higher end desktop that works much better with radar -- I would say it is normal. What is causing my laptop to be so sluggish ONLY with radar? Internet connection is around 110-115 MPS.

DanRaisch

Re: Radar map no longer loads . . .

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

Eh, the map loaded in safe mode so I went back to regular mode and after a few tries, I found that the "DuckduckGo Privacy Essentials" extension was causing the problem. I've had this extension for quite a while, so do these things suddenly go haywire for no reason, or was it because of FF updates or the extension updates that caused it?

Any comment on my second question?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

so do these things suddenly go haywire for no reason, or was it because of FF updates or the extension updates that caused it?
The latter theory is the more likely answer.

On the "slowness" issue, have you tried disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox? Tools->Options->General->Performance?
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

DanRaisch wrote:
so do these things suddenly go haywire for no reason, or was it because of FF updates or the extension updates that caused it?
The latter theory is the more likely answer.

On the "slowness" issue, have you tried disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox? Tools->Options->General->Performance?
Yes I did, and I think it's helped. :D

I never mentioned this, and maybe you assumed it anyway, but my second question with the linked radar site being slow referred to when I animated it with the "Past" or "Future" buttons -- not when it initially loads as stationary.
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

Thanks for the help, Dan. :)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.