Constant spam flags

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
thebigdishman

Constant spam flags

Post by thebigdishman »

How many times do I have to tell Sea Monkey mail that the sender they constantly flag as a spam sender, is NOT a spam sender.

I have a supplier who sends me emails every day with the latest offers. I have bought things from them using that email address through which they email, using that email address to log in to their website repeatedly over a period of at least ten to fifteen years.

Every so often Sea Monkey flags one or more of their messages as spam, so I un-check the spam marker, go to the message, tell Sea Monkey mail that the message is not spam ... again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again ...

Sea Monkey mail, LISTEN TO ME!!! IT'S MY SUPPLIER. THEIR EMAIL ADDRESS IS NOT SPAM. GOT IT? NOW BACK OFF!!!!!

I feel better for that. Any suggestions please?

I know ... find a different email service provider! ONE THAT LISTENS TO ME!!!!!
Regards
The Big Dish Man
DanRaisch

Re: Constant spam flags

Post by DanRaisch »

a) SeaMonkey does not use the term SPAM in any way. Instead it identifies suspect messages as "Junk". If you are seeing messages marked as SPAM, that indicator is coming from somewhere outside of SeaMonkey, most likely your email provider.

b) SeaMonkey DOES use the term SCAM when a message appears to be suspicious. You can switch off SeaMonkey's checking for that using menu path Edit->Preferences->Mail & Newsgroups->Junk & Suspect Messages->Suspect Mail->uncheck "Tell me if the message I'm reading..."

c) SeaMonkey is not an email provider. It's an email client and to use it to receive email messages you have to have an account with an email provider, like Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, or your Internet Service Provider.
davidb_sk

Post by davidb_sk »

I know this sounds like a silly question, but are you sure that it's SeaMonkey that is flagging the emails incorrectly? I ask this because I have SeaMonkey linked to my GMX mail account using IMAP. Before SeaMonkey even gets to see the emails, GMX does its own filtering/sorting of the messages that comes in. So, if there's a certain sender that gets flagged as "spam", I have to make the exceptions to the spam rules in GMX, not SeaMonkey, in order to not have their emails sent to the spam folder

If you're also connecting to your email account using IMAP, you may have to do something similar.
My current rig: Acer Aspire One D257, ALT Linux (Sisyphus x86_64), Window Maker (0.96.0), SeaMonkey (2.53.18.2)
thebigdishman

Post by thebigdishman »

OK ... constant JUNK flags.

I've checked the main Yahoo mail feed and that is not flagging any messages from this particular sender as JUNK.

And my concern is that the notification comes up "Sea Monkey thinks this message is junk". The notification is not "Yahoo mail has told Sea Monkey that this message is junk".

If I then tell Sea Monkey that this message is not junk then how can I make Sea Monkey understand that it should shut up and accept my response? It's like having an argument where you know the other person is wrong, yet the other person insists on telling you he's right despite being repeatedly told he's wrong, e.g. "Sea Monkey, the world is round", "No, I know the world is flat".

I want Sea Monkey to pick up genuine junk / spam or whatever term you want to use to identify it, you know the old "Bank of Burkino Faso $25 million" waiting for you emails, but accept that my supplier of many years whose messages I get regularly are not junk. If I tell it once, that should suffice. The sender's email address is in my address book and has been for years.

The way I see it is that Sea Monkey is applying a flag. I am unchecking that flag. That should be the end of it.
Regards
The Big Dish Man
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

thebigdishman wrote:OK ... constant JUNK flags.

I've checked the main Yahoo mail feed and that is not flagging any messages from this particular sender as JUNK.

And my concern is that the notification comes up "Sea Monkey thinks this message is junk". The notification is not "Yahoo mail has told Sea Monkey that this message is junk".

If I then tell Sea Monkey that this message is not junk then how can I make Sea Monkey understand that it should shut up and accept my response? It's like having an argument where you know the other person is wrong, yet the other person insists on telling you he's right despite being repeatedly told he's wrong, e.g. "Sea Monkey, the world is round", "No, I know the world is flat".

I want Sea Monkey to pick up genuine junk / spam or whatever term you want to use to identify it, you know the old "Bank of Burkino Faso $25 million" waiting for you emails, but accept that my supplier of many years whose messages I get regularly are not junk. If I tell it once, that should suffice. The sender's email address is in my address book and has been for years.

The way I see it is that Sea Monkey is applying a flag. I am unchecking that flag. That should be the end of it.
Edit->Preferences->Mail & Newsgroups->Junk & Suspect Messages > Reset Training Data.

Very rarely the algorithm for training can get confused, but it soon re-learns correctly.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It's like having an argument where you know the other person is wrong, yet the other person insists on telling you he's right despite being repeatedly told he's wrong,
Except you are not dealing with a person but with a computer program. It's looking at a variety of factors in each email and making a determination on it's likelihood of being legitimate mail or Junk. Telling it once may only tell it that one of several suspicious factors is legitimate. It would judge that message as still Junk if it came in again with the other suspicious factors still present. See Frank Lion's recommendation to clear out all of SeaMonkey's previous decision making process on Junk (apparently including flawed evaluations of the particular messages you are referring to) and let it start over, with you marking as Not Junk any messages it misidentifies.
amrad

Post by amrad »

@ thebigdishman,

Have you told SeaMonkey that if the sender of an email is in your address book, to not mark it as 'Junk'?

In SeaMonkey mail, go to:

Edit | Mail & Newsgroup Accounts | Junk Settings | Selection

'Do not automatically mark mails as junk if the sender is in:

[ ]Collected Addresses
[ ]Personal Address Book

Regards,

Dave.
thebigdishman wrote:How many times do I have to tell Sea Monkey mail that the sender they constantly flag as a spam sender, is NOT a spam sender.
thebigdishman

Post by thebigdishman »

Fair comments. I'll try those suggestions. Thank you.
Regards
The Big Dish Man
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome, and good luck.