I don't want to be followed by Facebook

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mgagnonlv

I don't want to be followed by Facebook

Post by mgagnonlv »

Hello,
There is one commercial site I visit semi regularly that wants to track me on Facebook.
Each time I connect, there is a box overlaid at the bottom suggesting that I chat with them using Messenger, and when I dismiss it, I see a Firefox dialogue asking we whether I want to share my information with Facebook or block such sharing.

Is there a way to remove these warnings and questions? I would love to answer "Never" or "Block permanently" and have this saved for ever. Is there a way to do that, either in Firefox or via an extension... similar to the way it's possible to *never* share my location with a website?

Thanks.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
mightyglydd

Re: I don't want to be followed by Facebook

Post by mightyglydd »

Are you using uBlock Origin, what's the site?
I have the default setup + Fanboys Social filter list checked and seldom see that crap.
@Haven't tried them but there are other filter lists there which if added may do even better.....
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

Thanks for your reply.

One of the sites I have in mind is https://www.davidstea.com/
I happen to visit them more lately as I am curious about their potential imminent closure.

If you try the website, it first opens with a panel for the latest sales. Once you close the panel, that's when the "Chat" and "Do you want to share information with Facebook" appear.
One additional issue with this site is that it doesn't load the Facebook following request all the time. It does so maybe once an hour, so I can't fine tune a setting and reload the page to see whether or not it works.

I use uBlock Origin, but not Fanboys Social filter. I checked it to see if it makes a difference and it doesn't. I still am asked whether or not I want to be followed on Facebook. Fanboy's Enhanced tracking list seems to work, but I'll have to recheck tomorrow. It does not remove the Chat window, however, but I can make it disappear with a special rule in uBlock Origin.
Michel Gagnon
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Do you mean clicking off 'Whats Hot' at the bottom?
I'm not seeing anything Fx/Facebook related, with uBO on or off :-k
@Could be a Fx 'security' setting, I know not what..
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

Sorry for the wrong name: my system is set up to see the French version first.
So basically, once you click off "What's hot", the rest of the screen (which is greyed) becomes active. Wait a couple of seconds and that's when the "Chat" button and the Facebook-related warning appear.

It might be a regional thing also. I live in Eastern Canada, in a place where they used to have about 50 stores until March (they should only have 1 or 2 once they reopen); you live in Hollywood US where they had hardly any stores (and all of them are now closed permanently).

Thanks for your help anyway.
Michel Gagnon