Custom Seamonkey Home Page - Problem

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
bluewizard

Custom Seamonkey Home Page - Problem

Post by bluewizard »

Bought a new Computer and downloaded the lastest 64x Bit version of Seamonkey(2.53.3). I've always preferred Seamonkey as my browser.

Something Strange is happening with my Home Page which is an HDML file that I created with links to my most commonly used Sites.

TL;DR - Browser starts with Blank Page not Home Page.

In {Edit}{Preferences}{Browser} I have Display on Browser Start Up - (*) Home Page

Then on the bottom of that Screen under - Click Home Button takes you to this group of Pages - is my personal Home Page -

file:///D:/Internet/HomePg.htm

When I start the Browser, my Home Page is not there. It is a blank page. However, if I hit ALT-HOME I get my custom page, and if I open a New Window, the Home Page shows.

But not at start up.

Is this a glitch, or have I simply configured something wrong.

I think in the older version, in the {Edit}{Preferences}{Browser} box, once (*) Home Page was selected, you had the option there to select the Home Page you wanted.

The bottom box seems unique to the ALT-HOME keystroke.

My interpretation is that, in the {browser} box, I have the Option of Selecting Home Page on Browser Start, but no way of designating what the Home Page is.

What am I missing?

BLuewizard
therube

Re: Custom Seamonkey Home Page - Problem

Post by therube »

Are you restoring a prior session when starting SeaMonkey?
(Or said another way, are you saving the current session when quitting SeaMonkey, which would then be restored when starting SeaMonkey?)

If so, then the restored session is shown rather then your Home Page.

If you Quit without saving the session, your Home Page should display on startup.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
bluewizard

Post by bluewizard »

therube wrote:Are you restoring a prior session when starting SeaMonkey?
(Or said another way, are you saving the current session when quitting SeaMonkey, which would then be restored when starting SeaMonkey?)

If so, then the restored session is shown rather then your Home Page.

If you Quit without saving the session, your Home Page should display on startup.
No that's not happening. It is not restoring a previous pages.

Can you tell me how to set the Start Up Home Page? In the bottom section of the Preferences - Browser page it allows you to set the Home Page for the Home Button (ALT-HOME) but not on Start Up, or are those the same things.

I wonder, in the moment, if perhaps the Start Up Home Page is whatever page I'm on when I set the feature. If I happened to be on a blank page, that might be what is happening.

Keep in mind, it works OK in all other situation. If I start a new Window I get the Home Page. Though not if I start a new Tab. If I hit the ALT-HOME key combination, I get my Home Page. Just not on Start Up.

Thanks for your help

Bluewizard
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

It is a bit clearer in about:config. The setting there is: "browser.startup.homepage". You can set the address of the home page in there.
therube

Post by therube »

Though not if I start a new Tab
Actions for Browser Startup, New Tab, & New Window, are all configured independently.
So if you want New Tab/New Window to open to Home Page, you need to tell it so, specifically.

Edit | Preferences | Browser -> Display on: <drop down>
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
bluewizard

Post by bluewizard »

Anonymosity wrote:It is a bit clearer in about:config. The setting there is: "browser.startup.homepage". You can set the address of the home page in there.
Will check that, it sounds promising.

bluewizard
bluewizard

Post by bluewizard »

therube wrote:
Actions for Browser Startup, New Tab, & New Window, are all configured independently.
So if you want New Tab/New Window to open to Home Page, you need to tell it so, specifically.

New Windows work, it is just Start Up and New Tab that don't, though I'm not fussed about New Tab.

Will recheck the Browser Settings.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check into that.

bluewizard
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

bluewizard wrote:
therube wrote:

New Windows work, it is just Start Up and New Tab that don't, though I'm not fussed about New Tab.

Will recheck the Browser Settings.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check into that.

bluewizard
bluewizard,

I do similar to your mathod, as I keep a file with site info:

file:///c:/mysites/mysites.html

I see you use htm, not html. No idea is that would make any difference, but my home page works as shown above.

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
bluewizard

Post by bluewizard »

ndebord wrote:
I do similar to your method, as I keep a file with site info:

I see you use htm, not html. No idea is that would make any difference, but my home page works as shown above.

Nick
I don't think HTM or HTML matter, though I'm willing to be corrected.

Per Previous advice I change all three /Preference/Browser Setting, I assumed the Drop Down Box of three choices was a Pick One, not a different setting for each choice. So I have them all set to Home Page.

- New TAB loads my Home Page
- New WINDOW loads my Home Page
- Browser Start loads a Blank Page.

I seem to have a good install. Everything else works. So, I'm not sure what is going on. This is a brand new computer with very little software install. Mostly I just added THREE Browsers.

So, to you specifically, does your computer/browser specifically load your custom Home Page on Start Up?

I confess I have not check the Config file yet, but I am going to do that.

Bluewizard
bluewizard

Post by bluewizard »

therube wrote:

Thanks for that.
I thought it was Pick One, but it is three independent settings. I have Home Page on New Tab, and Home Page on New Window, and though I have it set to Home Page, I still get a blank page on Browser Start up.

Steve/bluewizard
bluewizard

Post by bluewizard »

Anonymosity wrote:It is a bit clearer in about:config. The setting there is: "browser.startup.homepage". You can set the address of the home page in there.
browser.startup.homepage = file:///D:/Internet/HomePg.htm

As suggested by someone else, perhaps if I change it to file:///D:/Internet/HomePg.HTML ... though it really shouldn't matter.

Steve/bluewizard
bluewizard

Post by bluewizard »

bluewizard wrote:

As suggested by someone else, perhaps if I change it to file:///D:/Internet/HomePg.HTML ... though it really shouldn't matter.

Steve/bluewizard
No it is definitely set to file:///D:/Internet/HomePg.HTML now, but I still get a blank page on Start Up.

Something of a Mystery.

Steve/bluewizard
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

bluewizard wrote:
bluewizard wrote:

Steve/bluewizard
No it is definitely set to file:///D:/Internet/HomePg.HTML now, but I still get a blank page on Start Up.

Something of a Mystery.

Steve/bluewizard
bluewizard,

Preferences
Display on Browser Startup
Home Page

Clicking the Home Button takes you to this groups of pages:

The above is the standard settings from Preferences. I have not tried to do anything in about:config. So no Idea why your setup is different.

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
bluewizard

Post by bluewizard »

ndebord wrote:
bluewizard,

Preferences
Display on Browser Startup
Home Page

The above is the standard settings from Preferences. I have not tried to do anything in about:config. So no Idea why your setup is different.

Nick
I get my Personal Home Page when -

- I select - Go / Home - from the Menu
- I open a New Tab
- I open a New Window

But not when the Browser Starts.

In the - about:config - I have this setting -

By all indications, I should get the Home Page on Start up. Unless there is some other setting that is effecting it.

How about - When Edit / Preferences / Browser / Restoring Sessions and Windows - I had this set to - Restore [3] Tabs at a Time.

I assume, it only Restores Tabs/Windows when you are restarting after a Crash or an abnormal shut down. Am I Right?

You said -

So, this - file:///c:/mysites/mysited.html - at the bottom of - Preferences / Browser - is - Clicking the Home Button takes you to this group of Pages - am I to assume that - mysites.html - is the list of sites found in the bottom section of the - Preference / Browser - screen?

This is really puzzling.

Bluewizard
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

bluewizard wrote:
How about - When Edit / Preferences / Browser / Restoring Sessions and Windows - I had this set to - Restore [3] Tabs at a Time.

I assume, it only Restores Tabs/Windows when you are restarting after a Crash or an abnormal shut down. Am I Right?
No.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)