BBC News Website Videos

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ChrisOfBristol

BBC News Website Videos

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

BBC News website videos stutter and stop even in a very small window. Other videos, YouTube for example, play fine up to 480p.

Is it caused by these videos being formatted in some dodgy BBC format? They have a reputation for failed IT projects https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26963723
It always happens with Firefox, but I have just done a couple of checks with Chromium and it doesn't happen.

[EDIT] I've just noticed that this site is about to be archived, so I will have to find somewhere else to post this :(

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ping 9ms Download 44.29Mbps Upload 9Mbps

Ubuntu 20.04
Architecture: x86_64
CPU(s): 2
Model name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz
VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)
Linux Fedora-36
James

Re: BBC News Website Videos

Post by James »

hmm the system specs may be a wee bit weak to play videos smoothly.

A old system I have (Linux+Vista dual boot) with a Intel Core 2 Duo E4400, 4 GB RAM, and a FX 5200 (yes I know junk card but I plan to put in a GTX 550ti and better PSU in it to make it a WinXP gaming system at some point) and in Linux it struggles to play html5 videos much of the times above 480p on places like Youtube and Twitch.

Also since you are using Linux make sure you are fully supporting HTML5 by having packages like FFmpeg installed for the codecs needed as it is normally not installed on Linux installs due to restrictions. Chrome basically cheats by coming with its own codecs.

There has been no recent notice or updates about the forums being archived anytime soon however this independent site is owned by a single person who is busy with work and life so who knows. Mozilla has had their own support forum for a while now https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

James wrote:hmm the system specs may be a wee bit weak
It's fine on YouTube 480p and other things at whatever speed they use.
A old system...struggles to play html5..above 480p on places like Youtube...
It's not reliable with 720p so I only use 480p.
...make sure...FFmpeg installed
It is.
Chrome...coming with its own codecs.
It works fine on Chromium, which suggests that Firefox might need do the same.
There has been no recent notice or updates about the forums being archived anytime soon
I got that idea from here http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3059877
I'll probably have to use that then.
Linux Fedora-36
therube

Post by therube »

(Didn't see any video in your link?)

No issue here, https://www.bbc.com/news/av/entertainme ... no-prodigy.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

therube wrote:(Didn't see any video in your link?)
I didn't include one because it applies to all the videos I tried. Here is one anyway:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technolog ... rtable-fit
Surprisingly that one is alright for me too.
Linux Fedora-36
therube

Post by therube »

On my end, no issue with that one either.
Win7, Intel HD4000 graphics (so nothing near state of the art).

Might try FF in Safe Mode.

Maybe a video driver change?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

therube wrote:Might try FF in Safe Mode.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you suggesting that I use FF to play videos from the command line, instead of using a browser? That wouldn't be very convenient.
therube wrote:Maybe a video driver change?
I've used both the default Linux one and the NVIDIA one and it doesn't make any difference.
Linux Fedora-36
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ChrisOfBristol wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by this.
Maybe try clicking the Safe Mode link?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

Frank Lion wrote:Maybe try clicking the Safe Mode link?
Ah! I thought you were still talking about FFmpeg. Now you mention it I can see that you mean FireFox and it's a link, I'll try it.
Linux Fedora-36
James

Post by James »

ChrisOfBristol wrote:Ah! I thought you were still talking about FFmpeg. Now you mention it I can see that you mean FireFox and it's a link, I'll try it.
Some people (mostly newer and non Firefox users) use FF as the abbreviation even though Fx or fx has been the official abbreviation since it was name Firefox as of 0.8 Release. See the FAQ in Firefox 1.0 Release notes.
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

James wrote:Some people (mostly newer and no Firefox users) use FF as the abbreviation.
I try to avoid abbreviations on forum posts. They risk the average user (like me) misunderstanding or feeling that the poster is showing off his technical knowledge. Either of those things would make me avoid such posts. When I'm making a post, if I'm going to use a long term several times I would put the term in full the first time followed by the abbreviation in brackets. I have never seen Fx used for Firefox and my first thought would be "some function of x" as it looks a bit like f(x) or perhaps "cinematographic effects". It looks like something only used by the cognoscenti.
Last edited by ChrisOfBristol on August 4th, 2020, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Fedora-36
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ChrisOfBristol wrote:I try to avoid abbreviations on forum posts. They risk the average user (like me) misunderstanding or feeling that the poster is showing off his technical knowledge.
ChrisOfBristol wrote:BBC News ...
...Is it caused by these videos being formatted in some dodgy BBC format?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

Frank Lion wrote:
ChrisOfBristol wrote:I try to avoid abbreviations on forum posts. They risk the average user (like me) misunderstanding or feeling that the poster is showing off his technical knowledge.
ChrisOfBristol wrote:BBC News ...
...Is it caused by these videos being formatted in some dodgy BBC format?
Lol! "BBC" is probably known worldwide, certainly where you come from. I don't think as many people would know that it means the "British Broadcasting Corporation".
Linux Fedora-36
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Hah, according to Arthur Brown at a gig waaaaaaaaaaaaay back, where they were recording him, it means British Bastardizing Caroline (The radio station) :)
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

mightyglydd wrote:Hah, according to Arthur Brown...
Due to their increasing use of North American grammar and vocabulary and the amount of trivial news about the USA, I suspect it is turning into the ABC - the American Broadcasting Corporation. They are panicking about losing the licence fee and are planning to support themselves by selling their soul to the USA.
Linux Fedora-36