Sites not accepting Seamonkey

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
fixit7

Sites not accepting Seamonkey

Post by fixit7 »

I am finding more and more sites not accepting Seamonkey.

The latest is Rotten Tomatoes.

I do not understand as Seamonkey is almost identical to Firefox?
DanRaisch

Re: Sites not accepting Seamonkey

Post by DanRaisch »

It's likely poorly implemented browser sniffing. If SeaMonkey is not included in the site's code for that it won't accept it as a current, acceptable browser.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

fixit7 wrote:The latest is Rotten Tomatoes.
Just turn off JS (JavaScript) whilst on that site.

To do this, either use a Toggle Javascript button (an extension) or go to Menu>Edit>Preferences>Advanced>Scripts&Plugins> and uncheck 'Enable Javascript' for Browser at the top of that page.
Last edited by Frank Lion on August 27th, 2020, 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Frank Lion wrote: go to Menu>Edit>Preferences>Advanced>Scripts&Plugins> and uncheck 'Enable Javascript' for Browser at the top of that page.
Frank, should disabling this perhaps be a permanent setting at this time?

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote:Frank, should disabling this perhaps be a permanent setting at this time?.
Javascript doesn't cause that website's problem. Disabling it there is just to bypass the website's browser sniffing script..

JS is needed for many websites to work at all.

Useful toolbar button link - https://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/button_list/
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

If I turn off JS, the site will load, but so much functionality is missing that the site is not usable, so that is not a solution.

What I don't understand is if I use a UA override from a working browser (Fx's, Chrome's), the site still won't load. So there is something else at play here, right?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Justinh wrote:If I turn off JS, the site will load, but so much functionality is missing that the site is not usable, so that is not a solution.
Which is why you toggle JS back on once you get past the 'Unsupported Browser' page.

...0r...stare at their 'Unsupported Browser' page

...0r...use Beta Edge

...0r....figure out a better solution for yourself.
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

After you turn JS back on you have to reload the page to get JS active which breaks the site...

This still doesn't answer why a UA override doesn't work.

What is Beta Edge? Do you mean the released Edge based on Chromium?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Justinh wrote:After you turn JS back on you have to reload the page to get JS active which breaks the site...
You don't reload the same damn page! I visited all over the site and played vids and all sorts...before originally posting here.

How about you just figure out your own solution?
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Justinh wrote:After you turn JS back on you have to reload the page to get JS active which breaks the site...

This still doesn't answer why a UA override doesn't work.
It's not working because the site isn't UA sniffing, but using what modern web sites are supposed to use, which is feature detection.

That my answer and I'm sticking with it. :)
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

WaltS48 wrote: It's not working because the site isn't UA sniffing, but using what modern web sites are supposed to use, which is feature detection.

That my answer and I'm sticking with it. :)
I think you are exactly right. Any way to know what feature it is trying to detect? I can't imagine what that site would need that SM couldn't do that would be so important as to prohibit users from using the site. I tried to stop the home page from rolling over to the error page, but didn't see anything useful in the console. It might be impossible to stop the redirect at the right time.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

WaltS48 wrote:It's not working because the site isn't UA sniffing, but using what modern web sites are supposed to use, which is feature detection.
Yep, it's not like it's some big secret, the Net is full of information on it.

It would certainly prevent every thread here starting at ground zero if people did some basic reading on things.

Here's a link from a 100 years back - http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/tutorials/ ... iffer.html but there are many more recent ones.
robobox

Post by robobox »

Does changing part of the user agent from Firefox/60.0 to Firefox/68.0 work? it seems to work in Firefox 68 but not SeaMonkey 2.53.
- sincerely, robobox
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

robobox wrote:Does changing part of the user agent from Firefox/60.0 to Firefox/68.0 work? it seems to work in Firefox 68 but not SeaMonkey 2.53.
The UA doesn't affect this site, as previously stated. At least I have not found a UA that makes any difference. See what WaltS48 said.
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript