?? re-install non-portable to a npp-portable version ??

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
vmars316

?? re-install non-portable to a npp-portable version ??

Post by vmars316 »

Hello & Thanks ;

1) I would like to re-install non-portable to a npp-portable version .
Please , how can I do that ?

2) I would would like to transfer my npp-portable to another computer ;
Just copy the npp-portable Folder to another computer .
Would that do the trick ?

Thanks
"All things in moderation , except for love and forgiveness."
tanstaafl

Re: ?? re-install non-portable to a npp-portable version ??

Post by tanstaafl »

What do you mean by npp-portable?

If you're trying to move a profile from a desktop installation of Thunderbird to Portable Thunderbird see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Move_a_profil ... hunderbird

"Portable Thunderbird only supports one profile, which it expects to find in the Data\profile directory within Thunderbird Portable. If you're switching to Portable Thunderbird you just have to find your current profile and copy its contents there. Don't copy the actual directory too."

Help -> troubleshooting information -> open folder in Thunderbird will open windows explorer (or equivalent) at the current profile directory.

The whole idea of Portable Thunderbird is that you install it on a USB drive that you can move from PC to PC at will and run the application off of the USB drive, without having to install or register anything on the PC. Why are you running it from your hard disk on one PC and wanting to move it to another PCs hard disk? You don't seem to be using any of the advantages of Portable Thunderbird. Why not stick with the desktop version? You can move its profile to another PC.

The ImportExportTools NG add-on has menu commands for exporting and importing a profile if you don't want to do something like just copy the complete Thunderbird directory in %APPDATA% from one PC to another as described in https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/mo ... w-computer
vmars316

Post by vmars316 »

Thanks for the prompt Reply ;
I have no Data directory in x86 TBird just:
Name
chrome
defaults
distribution
features
fonts
Isp
tobedeleted
uninstall
VisualElements
Accessible.tlb

And the only thing in portable id \Data\settings .
What next ?
THanks
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

All of the relevant Portable Thunderbird documentation is ancient so I can't find anything useful on their web site to point you to. Your directory description sounds very much like the directory where a version of desktop Thunderbird is installed. Why are you looking there?

I installed a copy of portable thunderbird and it created a ThunderbirdPortable directory, with App, Data and Other child directories, plus a help.html and ThunderbirdPortable.exe file. When I ran ThunderbirdPortable.exe it automatically ran the new account wizard, which wanted me to add accounts. I exited that without adding anything. It created a profile in ..\ThunderbirdPortable\Data\Profile with the expected files. They just don't have any account settings yet.

It looks like you just need to copy the contents of your existing profile there, just as the KB article claimed.
vmars316

Post by vmars316 »

Thanks ;
I found TB 68 profile here:
C:\Users\vmars\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\z6njuat2.default-release

I copied it into portableTB and I get this ERROR:

You have launched an older version of Thunderbird
A newer version of Thunderbird may have made changes to your profile which
are no longer compatible with this older version. Use this profile only with that
newer version, or create a new profile for this installation of Thunderbird.
Creating a new profile requires setting up your accounts, calendars and add-ons
again.
More information...
Exit
Create New Profile

Any ideas where I can get an older version .
I wonder what version would be acceptable with PorTB ,
cause I can't use PorTB .
Also I wondering if an older version of x86-TB would read the newer version profiles .?

Thanks
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I copied the mail , imapmail and extensions directories and the prefs.js file from a profile I use with version 68 (desktop version) into thunderbirdportable\data\profile. I then started the program. It asked me for some passwords (which I entered) and listed every add-on, asking if I wanted them (due to a third party program adding them). My accounts are working fine.

I never got your error message about using a older version of Thunderbird. Your error message sounds like you are using a profiles.ini file with version 68 or later. It locks a profile to a version by using a hash of the installation directory of Thunderbird. If you are running Thunderbird from a different installation directory it claims you are using a older version of Thunderbird, even if you are using the same version.

There is no profiles.ini file anywhere in my thunderbirdportable directory tree. I don't know if you are accidentally running the non-portable version of Thunderbird (it doesn't create a shortcut in the task bar when you install it) or somehow copied the profiles.ini file. But your problem seems to be due to something using profiles.ini.

Did you launch portable thunderbird by double clicking on it in the thunderbirdportable directory in windows explorer?

I didn't copy over all of the old files to keep things simple. I can see that it created a extensions.json file to store information about what add-ons I have, a global-messages-db.sqlite file (global search index) etc. . If I was actually going to keep this profile I would have copied everything from the old profile.
vmars316

Post by vmars316 »

OK , Great !
Time for me to make another donation :)
Btw: How come u folks don't make a portable version ?

Thanks
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"Btw: How come u folks don't make a portable version ?"

We're not run by or formally associated with Mozilla despite the similarity in the name. We're a independent user support community.

I suspect the reason the Thunderbird developers don't create a portable version of Thunderbird is that they decided it was a poor use of resources since somebody else was already doing it for Thunderbird, Firefox, SeaMonkey and several dozen other applications.
vmars316

Post by vmars316 »

HELP !!!
Since I did all the above ,
ALL input mail gets dumped into JUNK mail .
Please how to fix ???
Thanks
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

That typically occurs if there is a problem with the inbox. Try moving most of its messages to child folders, empty the trash folder and compact the folders using file -> compact folders .
vmars316

Post by vmars316 »

Thanks ;
Sorry to say , that didn't work .
Still anything destined for inbox gets immediately moved to Junk .
What if I deleted the Junk Folder ?
Thanks
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"What if I deleted the Junk Folder ?"

Not sure what would happen, you might lose the new messages if its a POP account. Does this problem only occur for one account?

Try starting Thunderbird in safe mode (help -> restart with add-ons disabled) to see if the problem is due to the side effects of an add-on that doesn't work well with your version.
vmars316

Post by vmars316 »

Thanks tanstaafl ;
Yes , its only 1 , my main email .
But I think I am good now :
I copied all inbox to a Desktop Folder .
Deleted all inbox and all junk .
Closed program , then opened .
Then copied all emails back into inbox .
Looks like all is well now .

Thanks for your Help...