Firefox Alternatives - tired of constant UI change

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
jetspeedz

Firefox Alternatives - tired of constant UI change

Post by jetspeedz »

I'm getting tired of the constant absurd UI changes mozillasoft is forcing without giving options to go back easily. It's a game of cat and mouse I no longer wish to play.

What is a good alternative browser with basic security and performance updates with the same CSS flexibility as FF?
DanRaisch

Re: Firefox Alternatives - tired of constant UI change

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Mozillazine Tech.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
jetspeedz

Post by jetspeedz »

thanks I will look into it as an option. Is that the browser you use?
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

jetspeedz wrote:I'm getting tired of the constant absurd UI changes mozillasoft is forcing without giving options to go back easily. It's a game of cat and mouse I no longer wish to play.

What is a good alternative browser with basic security and performance updates with the same CSS flexibility as FF?
I'm no longer using Firefox as default but they're all guilty of faffing about with the UI. Just as you've managed to tweak things (over a period of time) to your own preferred way of browsing some significant UI change happens that introduces a usability regression.
jetspeedz

Post by jetspeedz »

Kevin McFarlane wrote:
jetspeedz wrote:I'm getting tired of the constant absurd UI changes mozillasoft is forcing without giving options to go back easily. It's a game of cat and mouse I no longer wish to play.

I'm no longer using Firefox as default but they're all guilty of faffing about with the UI. Just as you've managed to tweak things (over a period of time) to your own preferred way of browsing some significant UI change happens that introduces a usability regression.

What browser are you using. I stopped updating FF on android the new update is so many steps back in usability, it is getting destroyed with 1 star reviews. This is what happens when beam counters take over. Relying on security software and add on to offset missed security updates and will likely do the same on the desktop version.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

jetspeedz wrote: it is getting destroyed with 1 star reviews.
Good. (Probably just as well for Mozilla you cannot give a zero star rating) Just a really bad mobile browser with serious usability problems and worse yet its just damned slow.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
jetspeedz

Post by jetspeedz »

Ya they really blew it on the mobile version for android. Zero intention of upgrading. Self cert sign and stay locked in to previous version. Nothing they can offer will make me change. Everything they did has made the experience worse, and it is not any safer. They are more and more arrogant like microsoft and Google trying to force garbage on end users. Shame
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

jetspeedz wrote:
Kevin McFarlane wrote:

What browser are you using. I stopped updating FF on android the new update is so many steps back in usability, it is getting destroyed with 1 star reviews. This is what happens when beam counters take over. Relying on security software and add on to offset missed security updates and will likely do the same on the desktop version.
Opera. Yeah, yeah I know about Chinese ownership, but it's overall features suit me at the moment. However, they recently crippled one of the main reasons I switched from Firefox!

My current second browser is Vivaldi which is in effect Opera Classic on Chromium. I think it's the best alternative for a Firefox power user who wants the maximum of customisability but doesn't want to use a Firefox fork.
jetspeedz

Post by jetspeedz »

Nice, my backup is Puffin, UI rarely changes. Not as customizable but it just works.
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

jetspeedz wrote:Ya they really blew it on the mobile version for android. Zero intention of upgrading. Self cert sign and stay locked in to previous version. Nothing they can offer will make me change. Everything they did has made the experience worse, and it is not any safer. They are more and more arrogant like microsoft and Google trying to force garbage on end users. Shame
no kidding. latest FF on my family's samsung galaxy tab3 android based tablet is mostly slow when browsing sites.
also moving to a 4 week release cycle for Firefox (which is much faster than Microsoft's two feature updates a year pace for Win10) is also not helping Mozilla's cause

though on many of my Windows based PCs, I use ESR versions of Firefox instead of the normal versions
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Why not try > https://basilisk-browser.org/
Works well & auto updates.
Their support forum > https://forum.palemoon.org/viewforum.php?f=61
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)